What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The T.V Rights Thread Part III

How much will the Total Broadcast Rights Deal be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRam

Coach
If we had better(more favorable) journos like in that peasport AFL, then for sure our players would be lining up everywhere to get their noggins front and centre.

Our journos tear our sport apart.

El Diablo

Post Whore
If we had better(more favorable) journos like in that peasport AFL, then for sure our players would be lining up everywhere to get their noggins front and centre.

Our journos tear our sport apart.

exactly http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?p=5774283#post5774283

At Terrigal leading up to Origin II, the Queensland players had a night out to celebrate the birthdays of Billy Slater and Cameron Smith, and finished up in the same bar as members of the travelling media, including yours truly.

None of us witnessed anything which warranted a story, but we woke two days later to "Drunken Maroons" headlines in a local paper.

It seems a passer-by saw the players outside the bar and phoned 000 to report an incident, which the police investigated before finding nothing untoward had happened.

My love for the game hasn't stopped me writing "negative" stories when required, whether they are to do with off-field incidents, attendances, refereeing or administration.

I'm not going to defend every "journo" covering the game, or bag them either, whatever their motives or preferences when it comes to sport.

There are one or two I have met who would defect to union as quickly as Sonny Bill Williams if it looked like becoming the No. 1 sport.

I must confess to feeling uncomfortable when some scribes - very few I might add - have reacted with joy after learning of another so-called league atrocity.

It is one thing to report things faithfully and to get satisfaction from a job well done. It is another to get a high from the code's misfortune.

Perth Red

Post Whore
A figure of $900 mill for the joint fox ch9 bid was stated in today's paper. Looks like ch10 are serious bringing out the big man for the meeting.

chigurh

Sorry guys, this has probaly been answered many times but what proportion of the AFL's 1.25 billion was strictly for the TV deal?

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/panthers-take-break-as-lewis-gets-hitched-20110122-1a0i6.html

STEWART SAYS NO

BRETT STEWART is likely to knock back a lucrative offer by News Ltd to settle a defamation case. The Manly star is believed to be between $300,000 and $400,000 out of pocket after covering legal expenses. He was found not guilty of sexual assault allegations in September. It is understood the Manly fullback is holding out for a bigger payout. News recently settled another defamation matter filed by former Parramatta Eels chief executive Denis Fitzgerald.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...h-phil-rothfield/story-e6freye0-1226353857517

THE NRL wants to re-introduce live Saturday afternoon football on free-to-air television as part of the new broadcast rights deal.

A kick-off time of around 3.30pm will be offered to Channels 7, 9 and 10.

Plans for 30-second stoppages would allow the Saturday game to go live with breaks for ads.

Fox Sports would then broadcast two live games at 5.30pm and 7.30pm.

With only 35 per cent of Australian households subscribing to Pay TV, NRL boss David Gallop has a strong view that Saturday football should be available to all fans.

"Free-to-air television remains the No.1 area for fans to access our game," Gallop said.

"We've been considering a Saturday game for some time. We've been on pay TV while our main competitors (AFL) are on free to air every Saturday."

Plans for Thursday night games and Sunday evening matches are also on the negotiating table

IF the Fox Sports NRL commentators have sounded a little on edge in recent weeks, we can reveal why.

The contracts of every expert, including Greg Alexander, Laurie Daley, Warren Smith, Brett Kimmorley, Mark Gasnier, Gorden Tallis and Gary Belcher are up at the end of the season.

Their deals all expire at the completion of the current broadcasting deal.

Even if the pay TV network retains the rights, there's talk director of sport Gary Burns will consider changes.

Fox Sports must be confident of retaining the rights because I'm hearing the network has a top secret new NRL show planned for the beginning of the financial year in July.

I'm told they are already working on pilot episodes.

beave

Coach
3:30 Saturdays............. f**k me, everyone whinged like old moles 10 years ago to scrap that timeslot and now we go back to it. I don't want to hear people whinging that they can't make it to Leichardt on a Saturday arvo game because their kids are playing footy at the same time if this does become the norm again, people have very short memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.