What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The T.V Rights Thread Part III

How much will the Total Broadcast Rights Deal be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldnt figure it out on my iphone

I remember an opinion piece by a media buyer about a week before the AFL rights was published in the Australian.... Said the AFL rights were worth no more than 850 million....

Funny

This is the same guy who, after the AFL rights were signed off, said 7 wouldn't get value for money and is now changing his tune. If the rights do go for 1 billion+, I doubt that we'll see anything from this dope.

For me it's just plain scary that there is anyone out there that thinks that 9 do a bang-up job of promoting Rugby League.

Karl

Juniors
He seems to say its worth $750 Million to Nine based on available ad revenue for the FTA games.OK. Then add 90M for the digital, so that's $840 Million. Now - What about Foxtel? If the 750 Million is all about 9 and advertising revenue on FTA games - it doesn't contemplate the value to Foxtel on the the rest of the Round, or the possibility of simulcast rights. Or am I missing something?

El Diablo

Post Whore
I couldnt figure it out on my iphone

I remember an opinion piece by a media buyer about a week before the AFL rights was published in the Australian.... Said the AFL rights were worth no more than 850 million....

Funny

funny eh

deja vu

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/med...ll-over-the-odds/story-e6frg99o-1226044202555

$1BN for AFL rights is well over the odds

by: Mark McCraith
April 25, 2011 12:00AM

NEGOTIATIONS on the rights to screen AFL matches between next year and 2016 have reached their end game, with reports that Channel Seven, Foxtel and Telstra are closing in on a deal.

Last time, Seven, Ten and Foxtel paid $780 million for the five-year contract. This time the magic $1 billion figure is being flaunted by the AFL. The question: are the rights worth that much? The answer: nowhere near.

We don't disagree that sport (and so AFL) should carry a premium. It's undisputed that commercials featured in play lead to higher engagement by viewers.

There's benefit in being attached to an entity that is part of the Australian psyche, and sport is a great aggregator of eyeballs.

That said, the premiums are already high. Far from paying more, we should be looking to pay less..

What we find interesting in these times is that one of our competitors is trying to increase the cost of media by talking up the price the AFL should receive for its broadcasting rights. We all know that any increase free-to-air stations pay for the rights will be passed on to advertisers in the form of higher rates.

The winning bidders will probably be forced to use the AFL as a loss leader because their advertising revenue won't cover the cost of the rights and the broadcasts.

But let's return to this magic figure of $1bn. We believe, through our research, that the rights are worth well south of that. Here's why:

lThere was this thing called the GFC a few years ago. It was good for clients because the price of advertising dropped. TV media is still cheaper than pre-GFC, and so it should be, as the period prior to the GFC brought unrealistic levels of demand, and limited supply forced up prices.

lThe new digital channels. Supply of airtime has tripled, so the market is oversupplied. Laws of supply and demand dictate that media inflation should be zero, or in fact reverse, making the cost of advertising cheaper.

lWe believe AFL TV ratings have peaked. They have remained flat over the past number of years. This is not to say that AFL ratings are bad, in fact they are terrific. However, it is our view that previous growth levels will not be there in the future.

lSeven's Friday night "near live" coverage. This has cost the AFL in Melbourne, where Better Homes & Gardens means the match isn't live. In Perth, Seven's coverage doesn't start until 8.30pm WST, when the game is nearly over in Melbourne. Adelaide is a bit better, but still 1 1/2 hours behind live play. So when Seven talks about a Friday night football franchise, really it is only Melbourne. A national competition deserves national live coverage. Based on our research, we believe this should discount the AFL rights by $30m over five years.

lIn Sydney and Brisbane, how much longer can the Ten Network keep running AFL live? Our research shows that this is costing Ten about $5m each year. The AFL is being given a massive free kick by Ten. So further discount the AFL's asking price by $25m.

lThe new team. Nice, and welcome to the Gold Coast Suns. This could add an additional $45m over the five years. But, by our research, it won't. If anything, it will devalue the games of the Suns until they have a bigger fan base and are more competitive. The Suns are likely to be better value at the next negotiation in 2016, but are probably worth about $10m.

lGreater Western Sydney 2012. Does anyone seriously think that the AFL should receive any money from a broadcaster for covering these games? They should be paying to get coverage. We think the AFL has overestimated the worth of the clubs by $80m.

lBlockbuster scheduling. This is an interesting issue, as the AFL and the broadcasters believe that standout games on a Friday night attract much higher ratings. This is true, but we are talking marginal differences. The AFL would be better off scheduling blockbuster matches at times they can get great crowds and earn more money through gate receipts. The broadcasters are paying far too much for the Friday and Saturday night telecasts -- about $44m too much.

lAnd finally, the bubble. The AFL lives in a bubble called Melbourne. Melbourne newspapers provide excellent coverage, Melbourne TV channels all have a footy property, Melbourne radio devotes extensive airtime and social media kick it all along. It's little wonder the AFL believes its own hype. But in the real world the AFL is just another solid-rating TV program. It's not Packed to the Rafters, it's not MasterChef. It's just very expensive content that takes up about six hours of TV airtime per week.

The AFL rights are worth a good amount of money but nowhere near the proposed $1bn. Based on our analysis, it is closer to $821m, tops.

So at Maxus, we will trade hard with whoever wins the rights, as they will need some money to pay for it, but we put the broadcasters on notice -- we won't be paying an increase.

Mark McCraith is chief operating officer of media buying and analysis company Maxus, part of Group M

duylm

Juniors
So, an employee of News Ltd says we should not expect much and retain the contract as is for foxtel (News ltd being a significant shareholder). :sarcasm:

I guess from his perspective, if he wrote an article suggesting that the rights should be squillions and we should take it to tender on the open market, he'd be blamed for taking part in pumping up the competitive tension, and single handedly costing News extra XX millions.

I can't wait until we do the deal, I'm sick of all this to-ing and fro-ing from drip-fed & partially leaked reports and opinion pieces from vested-interest reporters all over the place . But it sounds like it's still a long way off.

some11

Referee
The NRL should stick with its existing partners who have done an outstanding job in promoting the game on their own.

qdgYU.gif

Ray Mosters

Juniors
I actually dont think that valuation is too far wrong...for an opening bid. $850m seems about right.

The bid process should then push it past the billion mark.

Edwahu

Bench
I actually dont think that valuation is too far wrong...for an opening bid. $850m seems about right.

The bid process should then push it past the billion mark.

True, if you add 80-100million for NZ then its almost there already. How he got there is still stupid though. E.g why does he discount the digital rights by 40% when it is mainly a subscription based model?

This McCraith bloke talks down the value because its in his interests to do so.

Gallop talks conservatively about the value because its in his interests to do so including looking like a hero if its goes over the mimimum.

So I dont know why everyone on here also sells us short by talking about "hopefully" achieving $1b. That figure is the mimimum as predicted by the experts, with the maximum $1.4b

Even at a moderately healthy, mid way point, even stevens, toss the coin, law of averages, viewpoint we should all be talking of $1.2b as the expectation we have from these negotiations.

Finally Gallop needs to work for a living.

Goddo

Bench
Wasn't ch 9's initial bid around $550M? I assume the Fox Sports bid would be somewhere around $350M for the CURRENT coverage for a SUBSCRIPTION service.

But throw in simulcasting, all games live, simulcast Origin, NZ rights, Internet and its clear the deal will be easily above $1B.

This article is a very shallow assessment from a nuffy with a vested interest in a paper with a vested interest.

taipan

Referee
This guy Victorian by nature,educated at Monash Uni,brings a suspicious smell to his argument.

To suggest ch9 has done an outstanding job in promoting the game on their own,whilst just about every fan and many in admin know the opposite,suggest this guy supposedly an expert in his field,knows little about the very subject rugby league , supposedly part of his expertise.He wouldn't see a live NRL game in Melbourne ,so would have no idea about 9 promotion.

He has no idea,never mentioned it once,about the expansion issue(a 2nd Brisbane team)and the financial input that would have.

He works on computer modelling,by discounting from 70% to 40%.Is Tim Flannery and his weather predictions in the house?

He admits both FTA and Pay Tv ratings for rl are up this year.

If splitting your rights ,achieves maximum financial and code benefit,you split your rights,and not stick to past relationships,as this expert(????) suggests.

He does not admit the low TV deal initiated last time,due to News owning half the game.

He ignores the fact that 7 & 10 who expressed interest this time,when they did not last time.

He admitted he got it wrong with the AFL ,by suggesting they (7) paid too much.

Then he has an each way bet"The nRL is fortunate with timing in regard to the present market: Nine/Foxtel want to hold on to the rights,Seven wants to increase its dominance,and Ten is desperate to have a high rating property outside of the underperforming Masterchef."
Then he finishes "The NRL may be in luck to get $1bn if ego and desperation cause inflated bidding above our valuation of $750m."
That is called covering your ä*se".Single quesion,multiple answers ,just love it.

If i had a surgeon that chopped and changed during a procedure,I would end up with a high pitched voice.

He works for News Ltd part of the organisation involved in Pay Tv bidding.How politically correct,keep lowering expectations.

Should the deal crack the magic $1bn,I hope he is reminded accordingly.

Last edited:

Canucks

Juniors
Can't wait to see the ratings for last nights game. Should be massive.

Fingers crossed... although if QLD keep winning I may be less inclined to watch in the future....

Can't wait for the new TV deal so we can spend more than $50 and a cabcharge on ppl like Delta and that mong kid who sang the anthem

Status
Not open for further replies.