What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Test thread: MORLEY SENT OFF FIRST TACKLE!

Macca

Coach
Yes he didn't seem to mark up. He was too far to the inside and Senior got on his outside easily. He will learn from that anyway. I thought he was good enough to keep his spot for next week.

McSharkie said:
Clearly it was the best Test I have seen since the one where Ricky Stuart ran 85 mtrs before giving it to big Mal for the victory.

Why was this so?

1. Morley, the cheap shot merchant being sent off inspired the Poms to lift from the very first tackle.

2. The strength and resolve of the Aussie side to come back in the last 5 minutes.

3. The close scoreline had me biting my nails right up to the very last tackle.

4. Brett Kimmorley played well enough to have justified his spot in the Australian side. He did throw the inside ball too often but his fisrt half was sound and that pass to Gower was exceptional.

Why wasn't this test better than the one back in the 90's?

1. The Poms were offside all night.

2. The ref allowed the Poms to lie all over the man playing the ball which stifled our attack yet still managed to penalise us for far lesser infringements. No doubt employed by David Waite to hamper the Kimmorley/Anderson's flat style.

3. The cheap shots from the pommy hooker were shocking, I can't believe Crocker was binned for retaliating while this guy was allowed to job guys on the ground with their arms pinned.

4. The missed tackles (Bailey's miss on Senior being the most prominant) and dropped ball rate from the Aussie's was pretty bad and improvement is certainly needed in the completion rate area.

5. Gus Gould.

Other than that I really enjoyed the match, a real nail biter. I was sitting in my lounge room by myself screaming at the TV. Seeing Chris Anderson shaking the hands of the Aussie players after the game really brought a smile to my face. He still has plenty of passion left in him.

Well said McSharkie and I wholeheartedly agree. Morley's send off really fired up the Poms and I think we would have had an easier time against 13 men. They played with far more passion and intensity than they probably would have without the catalyst of that send off.

Other posters have commented about Kimmorley playing the inside ball too often. As McSharkie said, the referee didn't police the ten metres when Australia were in possession and allowed the Poms to slow the play the ball. I lost count of the number of times that Noddy received the ball, only to have English players almost up in the attacking line with him. It makes it pretty tough to spin the ball out wide, but when we were able to, the breaks came. And that pass to Gower - what a beauty!

Although Bails would be happy to get a Test try, his performance was pretty ordinary and he is not an international standard centre. Way too slow and totally outclassed by Senior. Mason also did nothing and has disappointed in every international. Hegarty seemed to go AWOL and both he and Crocker also looked way out of their depth.

Of the players that I though did go well:

Wing was the stand out for me. Look dangerous every time he got the ball;

Lockyer cleaned a lot of defensive errors and was there looking for work in attack. Good captain's knock but doesn't seem to have the stamp of authority that the likes of Meninga, Lewis and Johns have;

Webcke made yards every time he got the ball and did a mountain of work in defence. Let down by a couple of dropped balls at crucial times; and

Kimmorley had a pretty solid game and made some good one on one tackles against much bigger opposition. Busy in both attack and defence and that pass to Gower will be remembered for quite some time. The Pommy defence just stood and watched open mouthes as Gower strolled through the hole in their defence.

I also agree about Gus. He is a tosser, but he did say a couple of things that I agreed with, about the refereeing being very poor and allowing the Poms to stay in the game with the offsides and delaying the play the ball. The thing I found most amusing though was his comments about Morley. That the guy is such a thug that he needs to be constantly reminded to lead with his shoulder in tackles and not go for the head shot.

But all in all, two great comebacks from the Aussie boys and a well deserved win. It's good to go 1-0 up in the series when we've traditionally lost the first one too.

Personally ES I thought Gus's most amusing comments were about Ando, saying favouritism should not come into picking rep sides.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I almost fell out of my chair with that.

This is the same idiot who picks players for NSW not because they're in form or deserving but because they're one of his "favourites" - his word not mine.

As Ando said "I just hope I never become him". What's Gould's problem anyway? That abnormal obsession with Anderson must consume him day and night. Funny that you only hear Opes have a dig at Gould in retaliation and it's usually a swift one-liner in response to some elaborate manuscript. CA always comes out on top though.

ShireShark said:
Personally ES I thought Gus's most amusing comments were about Ando, saying favouritism should not come into picking rep sides.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I almost fell out of my chair with that.

Gees, I missed that one. Must have been out of the room having a leak or that one would have had me rolling around on the floor laughing my head off as well. What a tosser!

imasharkie

Coach
Geez isn't it funny that no matter who you talk to they all agree that Phil ( I'm GOD) Gould is disliked by all unless they are rooster supporters. I even have a couple of souths supporters as mates and they both think he is a wanker :lol: but worst of all my brother is a rorter supporter and he thinks he is ok ( what else would he say)

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
ShireShark said:
blacktip youre right about Morley

Why do you sound so shocked. I'm rarely wrong, but often too early for full impact. :lol:

Everybody knew it was going to happen.
Mine was a game late.
I picked him to get sent off in the first 5 in the GF.

one of your prophecies then blacktip

i've given you credit when credit is due in the past, and it's due this time

i still love to watch morley but consider him a thug

and what's this signature of yours then you smart ass?! :lol:

I bet all the Australian forwards are pissed off with Kearns for saying Morley should get off. We're stretched enough as it is without having to worry about some thug giving out cheap head shots.

That said, I really enjoy watching him play and I dont mind if GB win the next game and force a decider.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
But whilst he was on the ground he was the best forward out there.
Those front on tackles are huge!!
What was it someone called that tactic??......... A "shooter"?

More like f**king terrorist sniper.

millersnose

Post Whore
blacktip-reefy said:
But whilst he was on the ground he was the best forward out there.
Those front on tackles are huge!!
What was it someone called that tactic??......... A "shooter"?

More like f**king terrorist sniper.

here is another of my predictions

morley will be the best forward on the park next week

but i want an impartial judge reefy

shall we agree on el garbo?

Anonymous

Juniors
No, not El Garbo.
I don't like him.

:lol: :lol:

Good, I never like you either.

Morley, what a player! Just wait and see, he'll be the difference between the Poms and the Aussies next week.

Frenzy

Juniors
blacktip-reefy said:
Don't feel special.
I don't like anyone here.

So much for a neutral, impartial judge Millers!

Next!

Obviously reefy wants me as judge, but he doesn't know why yet.

You see I didn't participate in any of the Morley threads :)

Truth is, I see Morley exactly as reefy sees Morley. An over rated cheap shot merchant or likes to blindside blokes in defence and aim at midgets in attack. He's nought but a head hunting bully boy.

Who's the ref? I predict Noddy to get sent off for a high tackle on a kick chase if it's Ganson again.

Oh the pain of it all......

Opps gotta run, here come the white coats :lol: :lol:

Sharkmeister

Juniors
Is anyone....sharks fans included, EVER going to give Phil Bailey a break! First of all he is criticised for his selection in Origin and now the Kangaroos! What does this guy need to do to gain a bit of respect from so called supporters. Fair enough, he may not be the best player, but he certainly gives it all he has and tries his hardest.
And why does everyone criticise his decision to include a clause in his contract that if Opes is given the flick, he can get out. This guy has shown great dedication to someone who was willing to give him a break which he rightly deserves. I say we need more Phil Bailey's out there in competitive sport.
Phil - congratulations to you honey, you deserve to be where you are today. I for one, am supporting you all the way. Good luck with the healing of the injury!!!!!