What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the thing with ireland

winnyason

Juniors
Sure it's great they got through but at the expense of a potential huge money spinner for the RLIF in Lebanon getting in with potential crowds of 20 thousand for the lebanese & the real feelgood factor lebanon will bring to world cup.
Nothing against ireland but they bring very little to event very few fans.
Let just hope lebanon get through in the reacharge vs samoa or the kiwi 2nds as they should be known.

playdaball

Bench
winnyason said:
vs samoa or the kiwi 2nds as they should be known.

Ireland could also be known as the English 3rd XIII. How many players are Irish born or have Irish parents i.e. - not using the GP rule.

colonel_123

Juniors
winnyason said:
Sure it's great they got through but at the expense of a potential huge money spinner for the RLIF in Lebanon getting in with potential crowds of 20 thousand for the lebanese & the real feelgood factor lebanon will bring to world cup.
Nothing against ireland but they bring very little to event very few fans.
Let just hope lebanon get through in the reacharge vs samoa or the kiwi 2nds as they should be known.

Well that's the thing with qualifiers, the team you want doesn't always get through...

griff

Bench
colonel_123 said:
Well that's the thing with qualifiers, the team you want doesn't always get through...

which is why the qualifiers should have been set up differently

winnyason

Juniors
the thing is the event need to make money period, if this is the case maybe a criteria should have been set.
Samoa(the kiwi 2nd) will wallop them.

Nz

Juniors
Lebanon had their chance, take nothing away from Ireland, they got the job done when it counted most.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
like Ari Gold said, if Lebanon get through on repechage, they will play games at parra and penrith (better than CC and Canberra moneywise)

westie

Bench
I don't see what the problem with Lebanon getting through is. If you wanted to be consistent on who deserves it most.. then Russia should be going to Aus.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
playdaball said:
Ireland could also be known as the English 3rd XIII. How many players are Irish born or have Irish parents i.e. - not using the GP rule.

3 local none English born Ireland players in there 17 v Lebanon if i read right.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Yep. I believe it is becoming more and more obvious that there is very, very little between the seond tier nations. Scotland and Lebanon (who look like missing out) wouldn't be out of place, clearly. And even then I believe that a nation like Russia, whilst not being up to the standard of the preceeding 12 teams, also should be there, such is the effort they seem to be making for very little reward.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
effort does not = results IMO, they shouldnt be rewarded for that. 12 teams WITH the existence of a supergroup would have worked, i would have loved to see the likes of Wales, Ireland, Lebanon and the US qualify. However under the 10 team concept the best make it -> my only real gripe is the lack of automatic qualification for the Atlantic spot.

realredhillboy

Juniors
playdaball said:

a bit like the republic of ireland soccer side back in 1990 that made the world cup and beat england in the world cup?

Copa

Bench
Maybe only countries with huge expat communities in Sydney should get through eh?

There are more RL players and RL teams in Ireland than there are in Lebanon... ireland also have a student team..

bowes

Juniors
westie said:
I don't see what the problem with Lebanon getting through is. If you wanted to be consistent on who deserves it most.. then Russia should be going to Aus.
Yeah but them at the world cup would be a joke as their playing standard is dire

Coastbloke

Bench
I wonder if Mr Carney could drag himself to Australia for Ireland.....??

Now that he failed dismally in a dismal sport, maybe he could come back for Ireland to play for the sport he was born to play and so obviously loves.....

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Brian Carney was probably the only full on Irish player in the last World Cup, the rest of them qualified under the GP or Parent rule. Luke Ricketson, Kevin Campion.

Im pretty sure a few of those players from last nights game play in the Irish comp. But thats only a few, what happened to using 6 players?

deluded pom?

Coach
If it's purely and simply about generating the most money possible and including the teams who will attract the biggest crowds then why feck about with a qualifying process? Just hand pick the top ten teams who will draw the best attendances.

Latest posts