What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Things We Miss

The Colonel

Immortal
Madcat said:
I miss the old Reserve Grade set up.

First of all the numbers
14 – Fullback
15 – Wing
16 – Centre
17 – Centre
18 – Wing
19 – Five Eight
20 – Halfback
21 – Prop
22 – Hooker
23 – Prop
24 – Second Row
25 – Second Row
26 – Lock

and second of all, I miss players playing Reserve Grade and then backing up to play First Grade.

Impossible to do now unfortunately.

I miss players making their return from injury in jumper number 53 or 54.

Forwards taping their ears.

Trip to the footy for 3 grades not costing in excess of $75 per person. Used to be a cheap day out but now unless you want to sip on water and take your own sanga's.

$25 for ticket.
$10 for pie and chips.
$40 for 8 beers.

greg

Juniors
Newtown Bluebags
Scrum as a contest.
Rex Mossop and Controversy Corner refusing to acknowledge the metric system (the 25 YARD line)

Big Mick

Referee
I miss contests in scrums.

I miss biffs.

I miss a real origin game, with a bit of passion from BOTH sides. This years series and the last 4-5 years...has just been another game.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
World 7's definately, the only times we saw USA, Fiji, Japan, Russia, Italy, Lebanon, South Africa, PNG, Aboriginals. Entertaining to watch. :D

The Colonel

Immortal
The real Kangaroo Tours - the games against each team and then the Tests on the weekend.

The Poms doing the same.

The Preacher

First Grade
Phillips said:
i miss the ARL, before superleague

Oh yes, a great call Phillips, The Cannon and Arko. They could teach today's pretenders what administration was all about. No VISIONS, just great Rugby League common sense. :)

The Preacher

First Grade
The Colonel said:
The real Kangaroo Tours - the games against each team and then the Tests on the weekend.

The Poms doing the same.

Not sure if I'm right Colonel, but I think the last one when we toured fully would've been '86. They were fantastic. I remember having a video called A Moment in Time that was a highlights of club games and abot 40 mins of each test. I lent it to a bloke who got pissed and left it in a bloody public phone box. Those tours made men out of boys and legends out of champions. :D

LRC

I miss the simple stuff..Been going to henson park a bit as its local..and its a real simple organic footy experience.No big screen and no endless replays over controversial decisions etc. You are none the wiser for any bad calls and dont dwell on them.
You pretty much watch the game,cheer or get dispondent and then walk away forgetting it pretty much after the game.
Just enjoying the game for the moment there and then without any lingering replays and controversy to continualy stir you up after the match.
In the old days beforemany TV angles the main and only controversies were usually tackle counts.