What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Things We Miss

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Tooheys Challenge, god I miss that.

The only months you dont see Rugby League is December and January. The rest you've got:

World Sevens- Feb
Tooheys Challenge- Feb
The comp- Mar-Sep
In order City/Country (all players available), Origin, Test matches (an 3 test series against the Kiwis or Poms)

After the Grand Final you've got the Kangaroo tour or World Cup in October and November.

rugged

Juniors
Being able to cheer for a try straight away (as opposed to waiting for the video ref decision).

The quick tap.

Contested play the balls.

Stripping the ball.

Day time grand finals.

The old days of State League in QLD where there were the old clubs and it meant something (pre Broncos NSWRL).

Sitting behind a post at Lang Park (not really).

Muddy games.

The Hill.

To still appreciate some of the above, I have to regularly see junior games, some rugby and some QLD cup.

The Preacher

First Grade
It seems that a helluva lot of people want daytime GF's back. Surely Ch.9 could bow to public pressure. They can't use the "lost add revenue" line, as they'll sell as much advertising as they want to, and charge whatever they like. If the Grand Final is on @ 3-00pm then 3-00pm is PRIME TIME.I really don't think the clock would have any bearing on the amount of viewers, it's a Grand Final FFS. Would it be possible for a poll to be set-up on the forum to see what the % figures look like ??? :-k

The Preacher

First Grade
I forgot one major "Things we miss"

Sargents Pies, from the kiosk under the Sheridan Stand, washed down with a cold stubby of Tooheys Flag Ale.(BYO in those days).:alcho: :sick:

Wests is Best

Juniors
I miss the SCG. I was at the SCG for the 1987 State of Origin II. This was played in the mud and all I had was a hill ticket. It was on this night that I discovered that you could get into the Pat Hills stand for free by using the exit doors (used only for after the match to get everyone out). There was always a door that was unlocked (and unmanned) so I just walked up the stairs, grabbed a pie, found an empty seat and enjoyed the match without getting wet

ManlyMax

Juniors
The Colonel said:
Sunday afternoon Grand Final at the SCG, all grades televised live. The day was a big event.

DEFINATELY!!!!! I miss the daytime Grand Finals...
They just dont have the same feeling being played at night. We should have night semis and DAY GF!

The Preacher

First Grade
Jon English singing at the Grand Final, in a Parra jumper, perched on scaffold next to the Sheridan Stand. :)

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Western Reds
The Adelaide Rams
Cotton shirts
Seeing a game live without seeing a replay later (always made the refs decisions more contentious when you didn't see them at a later date!)
Hookers that were more like forwards than halfbacks

Christmas Ape

Juniors
Kicking duels.
Leather balls.
Mouse Trap moves.
Big, f**k OFF Sterling-esque shoulder pads.
Green and gold stripy electrical tape for your high top boots with 4-inch sprigs in 'em.
Top-and-bottom mouthguards that choked you whilst barking instructions.
45 degree backlines.
The delicate art of sandcastle building for kick offs and conversions.
Trainers wearing skin-tight velour tracksuits and tweed caps.
Tucked in collars.
5 minute sin binnings.
Commentating from the sideline card table.
Elastic garters to keep your socks up.
Vinyl kit bags.
Shin pads for hookers.
Photos of players in the sheds, holding metal cans of Tooheys Draught.
Junior Pearce's high-cut shorts.
Seiffert Oval.
Mud pits in the middle of the SCG.
Wooden goal posts.
Hurrying your old man up to finish his beer so you could add the can to your collection.

SunkenEyes

Juniors
Graeme Hughes commentary

North Sydney Bears

Rivalries such as Elias/Fenech and Harrigon/Carroll

The Rugby League Week mags of the 90's seemed to be more interesting to me as opposed those of today.

Red ingoals on grand final day

Footy Cards

Knightmare

Coach
V-neck jerseys with 3/4 sleeves.
80's music playing when they'd show the replay of a try on TV.
That "Watch-out-Queensland!" song they'd play in Origin when NSW scored.
The pre-Origin ad with the clay-mation Cockroaches and Canetoads.
Knowing that your team wasn't going to change its jersey any time soon.
Every team having it's own home ground.

sunny

rainy nights for state of origin and the requisite big punch ups that went with them

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Souths playing at Redfern/Aussie
Bulldogs playing at Belmore
Campbelltown and Leichhardt having more games

sunny

agree w/ graeme hughes commentary.

hughes and bill anderson on channel 10 was an awesome commentary team.