What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Things We Miss

The Preacher

First Grade
In opposition to worst fads in the game, what about the things of the past that aren't part of the game these days. Try some of these on for size ;
.Featherweight footy boots.
.The Dally M and Reg Gasnier footballs, leather of course.
.Team photos taken GF day behind the SCG Members Stand.
.Black and White corner posts.
.Presidents Cup competition.
.Bubble gum with footy cards.
.Non nylon jumpers.
.Half time player sprints at finals time.
.League Olympics.
.Amco/KB/Panasonic Cup.
.Frank Hyde and his Rum Negrita adds with Artie and the Seiko watch award.
.Controversy Corner with Rex and the team.
.Pass the ball comp with Ferris Ashton.

Ahh, the memories.:D

Mr Saab

Referee
Players being introduced one at a time in grand finals.
Black boots....now today almost all the players wear white boots

innsaneink

Referee
Walking out of Lidcombe Oval with a crackling scratched version of "We are the boys from Western Suburbs" blaring from the loudspeakers.

All in brawls

Fibro silvertail barneys

Running onto the field at fulltime to score a corner post and congrat the players.

No sponsorship crap all over jerseys

Crappy cheap mouthguards that ended up feeling like sandpaper after boiling.

Steel capped Adidas boots

Decent pies/sausage rolls

Phillips

Referee
footy cards (the good ones like in 93/94)

Seagulls, Bears, Steelers, Magpies, Crushers

7's tournament

Origin brawls/fights (RIP)

b&wdynamite

Juniors
This one is more onfield than the nostalgic stuff written above - but raking in the play the ball. God I miss the days when you had to be quick witted as soon as you got up, otherwise a cheeky hooker would just reef the ball from you with a quick boot.

Mr Saab

Referee
b&wdynamite said:
This one is more onfield than the nostalgic stuff written above - but raking in the play the ball. God I miss the days when you had to be quick witted as soon as you got up, otherwise a cheeky hooker would just reef the ball from you with a quick boot.

Ian Roberts
Steve Walters
Ben Elias

The Preacher

First Grade
b&wdynamite said:

George Piggins won a comp for Souths in 1970 by continually getting the ball back from the late Apasai Toga. Souths had enough ball to win two games thanks to George.;-)

The Colonel

Immortal
Phillips said:
footy cards (the good ones like in 93/94)

:lol:

Scanlens Footy Cards of the 70's and 80's with the stick of chewy! They were the best ones - you could make a picture out of them when you collected the full set.

The Preacher

First Grade
The Colonel said:
:lol:

Scanlens Footy Cards of the 70's and 80's with the stick of chewy! They were the best ones - you could make a picture out of them when you collected the full set.

That's #6 on my list Colonel.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
b&wdynamite said:

Hands down, without doubt, no questions asked the one rule change that needs to be reintroduced into our game. We have a distinct lack of genuine contests for possession, and this is one such that makes our great game unique

innsaneink

Referee
Being able to have Joe Cools chops & snags for dinner.

Having Jim Murphy empty our garbo.

Going to a school next to Wests Leagues and using their old jerseys.

It really was the local team back then.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
I think the old foot rake would clean up the play the ball a bit. Why was that prevented now? The pass the ball was great. The big elephant. Great stuff!
------------------------------------------------
Early morning replays is something I miss on free to air.

Coaches on the sideline giving it to all and sundry. Only a few stay down and are basically are forced to be mute.

Telephone books and early match stinks. Scrums against the feed... Pushing in scrums. Stinks in scrums. The scrum use to be one of the most dangerous situations on the field. Look at it now!!!

Player running through banners for big matches. Beaver got one recently though for the next home match after his 300th.

Goldthorpe

Bench
I miss the old Reserve Grade set up.

First of all the numbers
14 – Fullback
15 – Wing
16 – Centre
17 – Centre
18 – Wing
19 – Five Eight
20 – Halfback
21 – Prop
22 – Hooker
23 – Prop
24 – Second Row
25 – Second Row
26 – Lock

and second of all, I miss players playing Reserve Grade and then backing up to play First Grade.

Impossible to do now unfortunately.

The Preacher

First Grade
The Colonel said:
Sunday afternoon Grand Final at the SCG, all grades televised live. The day was a big event.

I should never have started this thread, I knew from the start I'd get all "warm and fuzzy". :cry:

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I agree, referees without the need for video refs were much better.

What about quick taps when there were no markers. I still like that idea.

Illawarra Steelers, North Sydney Bears they were good sides.

Saturday Alvo football on ABC with Warren Boland and Roy Masters.

Headgears, the ones worn by Steve Renouf and Steve Menzies.

Day time Grand Finals.