What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
So Channel 9 in melbourne are showing the Test match on Sunday at 11pm.

With no AFL or Car racing/Horse racing to compete with, here was a golden opportunity for Nine to run live rugby league, especially after the strong ratings the NRL GF got recently in Melb, and instead they have put it on at near midnight.

How can they justify it this time? What bullshit lies can they come up with this time around?

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
I think the reason the Union came up is because of the exemptions they applied for but didn't use.

They should have done a story on Nine's lies about the Origin exemption it never asked for.

Geohood

Bench

With no AFL or Car racing/Horse racing to compete with, here was a golden opportunity for Nine to run live rugby league, especially after the strong ratings the NRL GF got recently in Melb, and instead they have put it on at near midnight.

How can they justify it this time? What bullshit lies can they come up with this time around?

They are showing the must-see movie, Son of the Mask, which is rated 2.1/10 from 19,435 users on IMDB.com.

Billythekid

First Grade

What a f*cking disgrace. The thing is International games have shown that they rate ok in Melbourne.

Who knows maybe they are just waiting to change it at the last minute so nobody knows it's on again:roll:.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well thats odd, because when I got to ninemsn.com, select Vic - Melbourne as the region and check the guide for Sunday I get

3pm - Son of the mask
5pm - Antiques Roadshow
5.30pm - Postcards
6pm - News
6.30pm - Journey to the bottom of the ocean
7.30pm - 60 minutes
8.30pm - Underbelly Razor
9.30pm - Person of interest
10.30pm - Prime Suspect
11.30pm - Rugby League: Trans Tasman test

Gem
3pm - Getaway
3.30pm - The Yeloow Rolls Royce
6pm - The Golden Girls
6.30pm - Rugby World Cup - Australia v New Zealand
9pm - A Fish Called Wanda
11.15pm - Friends
11.45pm - Friends

Go!
3pm - The Bachelorette
4.30pm - Wipeout!
5.30pm - Survivor: South Pacific
6.30pm - The Middle
7pm - The Middle
7.30pm - Two and a half men
8pm - The Big Bang Theory
8.30pm - Teen Mom
9.30pm - My Super Ex-Girlfriend
11.30pm - Gossip Girl

http://www.yourtv.com.au/guide/

Geohood

Bench
  • Found this post on the WWOS facebook site:
    • Wide World of Sports Hi Graeme, we will be showing the Rugby League Test LIVE from 3.30 AEDST, Australia wide, followed by the Rugby World Cup Semi-Final match between Australia and NZ from 6.30pm AEDST42 minutes ago
    • Roger Bohlsen You may want to inform the tv guides about this. yourtv.com.au has you showing 'Son of the Mask' on Sunday afternoon in Melbourne...35 minutes ago
    • Wide World of Sports They should be updated late this afternoon.31 minutes ago
    • Wide World of Sports and thanks for letting us know31 minutes ago

juro

Bench
You would think a major television station would be aware of what the tv guides are showing. This is just ridiculous!

Perth Red

Post Whore
well that is exciting if it really is Australia wide live, probably a first for a test match for a long long time.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Well thats odd, because when I got to ninemsn.com, select Vic - Melbourne as the region and check the guide for Sunday I get

TVTonight has been saying that of late Nine isn't even sending out amendments to their schedules, so that doesn't surprise me.

Billythekid

First Grade
That's massive news. I'm interested in seeing a few things. Firstly how well it rates compared to the recent RWC games involving the wallabies, i think we can beat it (we definitely will once regionals are included).

I'm also interested to see what sort of support we get in Perth and Melbourne. Hopefully Melbourne can pull similar figures to what we saw for the GF.

This our chance to show one of the big things league has going for it over the AFL.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
well thats just madness, especially considering their On Screen Guide on Foxtel and Digital TV matches that of the online guide.

Whats the point of the guide if its not accurrate lol

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
Those ABC snobs have had a love affair with AFL for the last 12 years that I can remember.

Some of their presenters insist on describing the NRL as the National rugby league but they never mention the Australian football league, it's always AFL.

Why is that? It's their way of pointing out that fumbleball is national and NRL isn't.

The sooner we get a team into Perth the better.

National Rugby League sounds better then "NRL".

This post sinks of paranoia though.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm also interested to see what sort of support we get in Perth and Melbourne. Hopefully Melbourne can pull similar figures to what we saw for the GF.

Most people in Perth won't know it is on. That is the problem with zero advertising of RL programmes (in fact worse the advertising is actually showing it ISN'T on!) and a refusal to build a regular viewership by showing games at a decent time all season.

Billythekid

First Grade
Most people in Perth won't know it is on. That is the problem with zero advertising of RL programmes (in fact worse the advertising is actually showing it ISN'T on!) and a refusal to build a regular viewership by showing games at a decent time all season.

I don't expect big numbers in Perth for those reasons and unfortunately i don't see the situation improving for a few more years.

In terms of the test in general i think it's disappointing how little advertising it gets and people wonder why SOO is so much bigger.

Aus vs NZ games are often one off games and given no promotion. SOO is a 3 game series winner takes all and is advertised months in advance and is just found everywhere in all forms of media.

I think a 3 regular 3 game series between Aus and NZ given the same type of push has the potential to rival SOO in large part because it gives more reason for people in NZ and the rest of Australia to be ineterested.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I agree, whilst the 4nations has its positives it hasn;t come close to genertaing as much interest as proper test series used to do. Bring back the Ashes and Trans tasman series!

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Found this on a facebook page.

Have to give a shout out. My mate Bradley in Perth saw that Aus vs Nzl was not going to be live in WA this weekend. He called Nine Network and reminded them it's a category 1 event and anti-siphon laws say it must be within 3 hours of live. He called again and "they just got word from HQ it is going to be live now."
Love to all our followers in "non-NRL heartland" who endure shocking coverage!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cheer...l-week-because-you-hate-Manly/166078133476535

If that was a person from LU, well done. Doing David Gallop's job for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.