What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Being in Canada this week has really got me thinking about potential "extras" we could add in order to ensure rugby league gets the best possible TV deal. Not just in regards to a total dollar amount but also exposure for the game.

The world under 20's Ice Hockey tournament is on in Alberta and is being broadcast live nation wide. Would something like this be feasible for the NRL? If so, how would it be formatted? Any other original ideas to bolster rugby league's TV presence?

Personally, I like the idea of a preseason tournament for under 20's involving teams from NSW, QLD, NZ, Great Britain and the Rest of the World. Or how about an FA cup style straight knock-out tournament involving either Toyota cup sides or all the teams from both the NSW and Queensland Cup competitions?

RWB

Bench
I've always thought there should be a cup competition between the uncontracted rugby league players of each state (or area) in the pre-season. Far too many decent players go unnoticed imo and it'd improve the reserve grade competitions ten fold which is a must!

There probably wouldn't be as much interest in it as your idea but it'd at least serve as a purpose too.

I wonder if the Foundation Cup will be sold with the next TV deal? The charity shield has been a great success, a few annual trial matches in the TV deal would do no harm.

Pazza

First Grade
Being in Canada this week has really got me thinking about potential "extras" we could add in order to ensure rugby league gets the best possible TV deal. Not just in regards to a total dollar amount but also exposure for the game.

The world under 20's Ice Hockey tournament is on in Alberta and is being broadcast live nation wide. Would something like this be feasible for the NRL? If so, how would it be formatted? Any other original ideas to bolster rugby league's TV presence?

Personally, I like the idea of a preseason tournament for under 20's involving teams from NSW, QLD, NZ, Great Britain and the Rest of the World. Or how about an FA cup style straight knock-out tournament involving either Toyota cup sides or all the teams from both the NSW and Queensland Cup competitions?

I think U20's SOO is something that could add real value to our game.

hutch

First Grade
There should be an under 20's world cup every year! It is important for the continued development of the international game and could be a small little earner on pay tv!

I still really like the idea of an FA cup style knock out tournament for toyota cup teams or NSW and QLD cup teams during the preseason. Because it's an ongoing thing, if fans found out that theyre clubs juniors or feeder club was in the finals or semi finals it would generate huge interest

blukablu

Juniors
I've always thought there should be a cup competition between the uncontracted rugby league players of each state (or area) in the pre-season. Far too many decent players go unnoticed imo and it'd improve the reserve grade competitions ten fold which is a must!

There probably wouldn't be as much interest in it as your idea but it'd at least serve as a purpose too.

I wonder if the Foundation Cup will be sold with the next TV deal? The charity shield has been a great success, a few annual trial matches in the TV deal would do no harm.

I don't understand why clubs don't just negotiate their own TV deals for games like the Foundation Cup or Charity Shield. Even if its for free they'd still make money from sponsors.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I don't understand why clubs don't just negotiate their own TV deals for games like the Foundation Cup or Charity Shield. Even if its for free they'd still make money from sponsors.

Because they dont have free thinkers like us mob dreaming up ideas for them at board meetings.

Pazza

First Grade
I doubt it, unless reasonable crowds go to watch it and I can't see that happening.

I thought the under 20's would be a curtain rasier for the main event. The advantages would be that we get longer TV time which allows for more advertising which in turn means more money for tv rights.

Representative free to air TV exposure for the young future stars gives our code gives us a point of differentiation compared to all the other sporting codes in Australia. Our rep calendar already gives use the edge over the AFL but to have prime time junior rep footy is something no other sporting code in Australia has done.

smithie

Juniors
The NBA are currently offering a free preview of their League Pass Broadband until January 9th. Even if you are not a NBA fan it is still worth checking out (if you have a decent broadband connection).

https://ilp.nba.com/nbalp/secure/registerform

This is the future of sports broadcasting and must be considered in the upcoming media rights deal.

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
I thought the under 20's would be a curtain rasier for the main event. The advantages would be that we get longer TV time which allows for more advertising which in turn means more money for tv rights.

Representative free to air TV exposure for the young future stars gives our code gives us a point of differentiation compared to all the other sporting codes in Australia. Our rep calendar already gives use the edge over the AFL but to have prime time junior rep footy is something no other sporting code in Australia has done.

That sounds like a good idea but one that I doubt will happen, especially with next year being the first year that the on the rep weekend there will be a Toyota state of origin being a stand-a-lone game.

supercharger

Juniors

juniors is a massive event in Canada and has grown alot from where it once was to the 6.8 million that watched the last final between Canada and Russia
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/juniorhockey/article/917750--juniors-produce-television-gold
TSN has done a great job transforming the juniors into what it is today
http://m.theglobeandmail.com/sports...to-must-see-tv/article2281535/?service=mobile
and Rugby League would require similar commitment from one of the networks here

nrlnrl

First Grade
The NBA are currently offering a free preview of their League Pass Broadband until January 9th. Even if you are not a NBA fan it is still worth checking out (if you have a decent broadband connection).

https://ilp.nba.com/nbalp/secure/registerform

This is the future of sports broadcasting and must be considered in the upcoming media rights deal.

This from the NBA website :

NBA.TV is not currently accessible within the United States.

--------

I know that other US pro sports also have internet restrictions with blackouts of games that are nationally & locally broadcast on tv. Also, I know that there is a similar deal for NFL, but these "season passes" are better suited to NBA, NHL & MLB where teams play multiple games per week.

Obviously any tv deal would be influenced by internet rights, i.e. - exclusive live coverage only on tv. I realise that some of you access tv coverage via the internet, but one of the priorities of the tv deal is to ensure maximum exposure of our game nationally ( if not live, at viewer friendly times ).

Yes, the number of people accessing sport purely via tv is decreasing, but even in a "technology advanced" country like the US, a large majority still watch sport via tv. ( the same applies in Australia )

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
None of the major leagues/media companies here understand the value and way to monetise internet rights here. Sporting codes just want to sell them to the highest bidder regardless of exposure, and also to protect the massive investment that the media company has made for TV rights. The internet rights bidders want them to be delivered on exclusive devices.

A great example is the Big Bash, currently on Foxtel but since Cricket Australia sold the internet rights to Vodafone exclusively you can't watch Big Bash on Foxtel over Xbox Live.

It's all quite stupid, internet rights should be about making coverage more accessible.

supera

Juniors
there are so many ways to access digital content now though.

the AFL's rights deal that commences this season got itself a great "new media" deal. foxtel and the AFL are both saying that all games will be live through "internet foxtel" which is available through an xbox or a tbox.

they also have a mobile deal with telstra where all games will be available on mobile devices (presumably at a fee.) telstra also nabbed a live game for it's bigpond tv, but it would seem a bit redundant because as far as i know it's only available where internet foxtel is already available. (perhaps through their website for bigpond customers?)

to ignore these developments would be negligent of the NRL, because it's where the future is going.

and this isn't a monopoly at all. theoretically Sony could bid for digital rights and make games available through a PS3 app. Channel 7 already have an app available through the PS3 (and could easily do the same for xbox, as ABC iView does), so there's a number of new media options available.(thinking about it, I could theoretically bid for the rights myself if I could get the money from a device and from sponsors to make money - though i'd have to pay for the fox sports/fta coverage, which limits options for bidders)

the telco's are in such competition now they'll be falling over themselves for the mobile device deal (assuming Telstra don't have this locked up already - which will have been short sighted by the NRL if so.) Say what you want about Vodafone - they can't create a decent phone service, but damn they put together a good cricket app.

do these deals take money away from the game? not at all. because for this rights deal, proven results should see fox sports paying a lot more than they have been (as in, twice as much as they have been). mobile devices and internet tv are added income.

and if they take off? well, in 5 years time maybe it takes away from the television rights - but if it's because people are using new media options, then they are worth more money.

i just can't believe new media isn't a cash cow. iTunes has proven over a long period of time that piracy was less about money and more about access. if you make this stuff accessible, people are prepared to pay for it.

i dunno how you do it. I don't know whether you just sell all new media to Telstra and let them broadcast live on mobile device and bigpond tv. I don't know whether you split up internet tv and mobile devices as the AFL have done. Maybe you hold onto your own internet tv rights and offer an xbox/ps3 app and tbox/apple tv channel on a game pass type option as the NFL has done. (most new tv's are internet ready and could offer this functionality without the external device as well).

either way - this is the future of broadcasting. as long as there is the vision to ensure that a mobile deal (ala vodafone and cricket australia) is not at the expense of internet tv (because they're different markets), and there is due dilligence by the NRL to actually understand the importance of this, it has to be a winner.

it's critical that they get it right though - in 5 years it'll be too late. i have no issue admitting that the AFL does its broadcast deals much, much, MUCH better than the NRL. so in a way, perhaps we should be grateful that the AFL went first. people will say it's cost us money in the tv deals - i don't agree with this. the same tv networks will still offer as much as they would have before - in the case of Channel 10, they'll probably offer more.

so the AFL going first is a good thing, because they've shown the NRL how new media needs to be treated.

but i have a horrible feeling that the whinge after the next deal is done won't be about finances, because I think they'll get their billion. the whinge will be that the NRL did nothing to further its new media presence, and instead ended up with the same bigpond tv deal as they have now (24 hour delay) so as not to go against foxtel (which would be unacceptable, we need this to be a live option), and maybe an increased mobile device presence. though if it helps to get foxtel to cough up $600m, they may just get internet tv. at least it will be a presence to build on going forward.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.