What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Diablo

Post Whore
interesting thing i noticed from last time http://www.abc.net.au/news/2005-07-01/nrl-secures-500m-rights-deal/2050082

NRL secures $500m rights deal

Updated July 01, 2005 20:19:00

A new television rights deal struck by the National Rugby League (NRL) may reduce Channel Nine's ability to make a competitive bid for the AFL rights.

The NRL's deal with Nine and Fox Sports is worth $500 million over six years and represents a 60 per cent annual increase on the exisiting arrangements.

The agreement, which includes two games on free-to-air television on Friday nights and the return of Monday night football, runs until the end of 2012.

NRL chief executive David Gallop says the deal is a big vote of confidence in rugby league.

"Obviously [we're] very excited about being able to secure such a fantastic deal for the game's future," he said.

"Our existing agreements expire at the end of 2006 and 2007 but in negotiating an early renewal we have ensured financial growth both in the short and long-term."

Channel Nine's Lynton Taylor says possible AFL time-spots were considered when the NRL deal was negotiated.

"We believe that our relationship with the NRL and the slots we've agreed is such that we'll be able to meet any requirements of the AFL if we were fortunate to end up with those rights," he said.

The station's executive director, Sam Chisholm, said the renewal continued a long-standing partnership.

"The contract will see Nine complete 21 consecutive seasons of broadcasting the premiership and continues a State of Origin tradition that dates back to 1983," he said in a statement released by the NRL.

"Nine and rugby league have together set new standards for sporting broadcasts and we will continue to do so in the years ahead.

"An extra free to air game each week from 2007 and the addition of the Gold Coast should significantly increase network exposure for Queensland teams and indeed the opportunities for Melbourne."

Fox Sports chief executive David Malone said its contract renewal confirmed rugby league's popularity on pay television.

"Monday night football will be an extremely exciting opportunity for the code and a great opportunity to further expose the code on a national basis," he said in a statement released by the NRL.

"Since 2001 Fox Sports has turned Saturday into something super for sports fans at home while promoting the games in a way that has also seen attendances rise.

"In securing the rights until 2012 we are convinced we can generate the same enthusiasm around Monday night from 2007.

"Monday night is a timeslot that has proven a success the world over."

Among the key components of the deal:

A 50 per cent increase in free to air matches with the introduction of a Friday night double header on the Nine Network;
At least one live Friday night broadcast each week;
Live Monday night football nationally on Fox Sports;
Commitment to maintain Fox Sports 'Super Saturday' format;
Advance scheduling of matches for up to 11 weeks during the year with 17 rounds scheduled at six weeks or more;
A 25-round Premiership with each club receiving one 'bye';
A 65 per cent increase in the game's direct television income;
Revenue to begin increasing from 2007 (before the termination of existing contracts).;
An increased commitment to the promotion of Test matches;
A guarantee of live grand final coverage in Melbourne with a commitment to work with the NRL to improve scheduling of major events in Victoria and other states.

9 do not have to worry about that this time

it's absurd their bid last time mainly focused on how and when they could show AFL

but then 9 still promote AFL more than NRL even though they don't have the rights

supercharger

Juniors
Is it such a silly thing though i'm not so sure i know there is the potential to leave money on the table by not putting the rights to open tender
And at the risk of this post being moved due to paranoia of other sports being discussed (here an aversion which seems to be overcome when it comes to deriding other sports)
Another sports governing body (wont say their name though :-$) did a similar thing to what the NRL did last time around and it seemingly worked out alright for them
http://overtimecentral.ca/archives/2006/12/23/analyzing-the-cfl-tsn-tv-deal/
only thing is though said sport isn't so dependent on television revenue due to being a gate driven league unlike the NRL

Billythekid

First Grade
Is it such a silly thing though i'm not so sure i know there is the potential to leave money on the table by not putting the rights to open tender
And at the risk of this post being moved due to paranoia of other sports being discussed (here an aversion which seems to be overcome when it comes to deriding other sports)
Another sports governing body (wont say their name though :-$) did a similar thing to what the NRL did last time around and it seemingly worked out alright for themhttp://overtimecentral.ca/archives/2006/12/23/analyzing-the-cfl-tsn-tv-deal/

Of course it's a silly thing. We had another station come out openly to say they wanted to bid for the NRL rights so we instead negotiated behind closed doors and took whatever sh*t deal channel 9 gave us.

If channel 9 were to come to the NRL and offer us like 1.2 billion dollars for our rights than sure i could put up with doing that. However when you know the deal they are offering is a complete rip off why would you not open it up to other sources?

only thing is though said sport isn't so dependent on television revenue due to being a gate driven league unlike the NRL

Well this really isn't relevant to the point you were making at all so i'm not sure what you're getting at.

There is a reason that discussing other sports is usually frowned upon on here and that's because they are generally only brought up by people trying to troll. If are bringing up another sport to have a genuine discussion i doubt anyone will care.

Raiderdave

First Grade
interesting development with Sonny Bill & Ch 9 .... & his Contract with the Chooks from 2013 :?

A Tad presumptuous from Gyngell I'd of thought
although it could just be a claus in Williams contract saying if 9 don't get the rights .. the contract.. or the ch 9 part of it ... is null & void

but Gyngell must have more then a little confidence about 9's chances

have they been keeping a bit aside for a rainy day
the rainy day being the NRL rights :?

memo to Ch 7.... 9 appear to be foxing
go in hard ..... very hard with your first offer

break those first n last rights & consign them to the dust bin of history
;-)

I suppose the early tv rights talks have basically stalled until the IC is up(The 12th of never),but i think it will be very interesting ,as CH 9 Cannot afford to lose its biggest rater..& 99% of fans hope they do.
Will just have to wait & see ,Even Doc who seems to get very accurate inside info ,has not posted much lately, about where we are at .
Just a waiting game now.

docbrown

Coach
wait & see ,Even Doc who seems to get very accurate inside info ,has not posted much lately, about where we are at .
Just a waiting game now.

Holidays at the moment. People scatter like the wind.

Interesting in the Daily Telecrap today they were interviewing Warburton on his first day at 10.

Source - http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/en...-a-reality-check/story-e6frexlr-1226235122672

Alot of people were predicting that 10 were just going to go cheap and rely on reality programming and imports to turn things around but Warburton is smarter than that. How can 10 pull themselves out using the same strategy that got them into the mess in the first place? Answer is - they can't and he knows it.

Think about it - they didn't even bother negotiating with Endemol over the Big Brother Secret Story format. It could've filled the digital channel hours (like 9 are now hoping) but they've gone against the expectation.

You just have to look at their original programming slate - like the Milperra Massacre mini-series - to see that their eyes are geared toward something bigger.

The key for them is ratings to get advertisers. Pure and simple. And during ratings season there's only 2 sports that achieve that - AFL & NRL - and only one is strongest in 10's key youth demographic and is available at competitive market value.

Holidays at the moment. People scatter like the wind.

Interesting in the Daily Telecrap today they were interviewing Warburton on his first day at 10.

Source - http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/en...-a-reality-check/story-e6frexlr-1226235122672

Alot of people were predicting that 10 were just going to go cheap and rely on reality programming and imports to turn things around but Warburton is smarter than that. How can 10 pull themselves out using the same strategy that got them into the mess in the first place? Answer is - they can't and he knows it.

Think about it - they didn't even bother negotiating with Endemol over the Big Brother Secret Story format. It could've filled the digital channel hours (like 9 are now hoping) but they've gone against the expectation.

You just have to look at their original programming slate - like the Milperra Massacre mini-series - to see that their eyes are geared toward something bigger.

The key for them is ratings to get advertisers. Pure and simple. And during ratings season there's only 2 sports that achieve that - AFL & NRL - and only one is strongest in 10's key youth demographic and is available at competitive market value.
Thanks Doc..
A question..Would 7 & 10 put aside the animosity over Warburton to make a joint bid for the NRL to try & break the 1st & last rights clause of 9.
If making $$$ out of RL is a high priority,then i would hope they could put aside any animosity &break 9's hold & split up the rights .

El Diablo

Post Whore
Thanks Doc..
A question..Would 7 & 10 put aside the animosity over Warburton to make a joint bid for the NRL to try & break the 1st & last rights clause of 9.
If making $$$ out of RL is a high priority,then i would hope they could put aside any animosity &break 9's hold & split up the rights .

7 wanted Ten in on the AFL deal but Ten thought it was overpriced and said no

docbrown

Coach
Thanks Doc..

Nothing is impossible in such a small market but it's unlikely given the current state of play.

That said they don't need a formal partnership. The total of their parts is enough to do it and the NRL/ARLC's negotiating subgroup can always direct them towards this by offering them specific packages.

Billythekid

First Grade
I think ch10 could be great for the game. I've pretty much come to terms with the fact that we will probably only get around a billion this time around (and a lot less than the AFL). This next tv deal should be all about increasing the exposure of the game. Ch10 will be much better for the NRL than ch9 will.

They have done a great job advertising the AFL unlike ch9 who just keep advertising a rival code which they don't have the rights for.

Over the next 5 years after we have well and truly thrashed the AFL in ratings hopefully we will finally get the money we deserve (i.e. more than the AFL).

docbrown

Coach
They have done a great job advertising the AFL unlike ch9 who just keep advertising a rival code which they don't have the rights for.

That's because certain people in management and those who have influence over management have put their personal gain over the networks.

El Diablo

Post Whore
can you imagine 9 if they lose the NRL?

they already bag the shit out of it and wank on about AFL and they have the rights

even noticed 7 gave the NRL a plug yesterday in the tennis. before Tomic played they did a story on him training with the Titans and when the story was finished Johanna Griggs even mentioned when the Titans first round game was on and who they were playing

Status
Not open for further replies.