What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

supercharger

Juniors
You've all lost it. The heat's getting to you!

Only the NRL Season Kickoff will cure you.
I'm Good i've still got the NFL NBA NHL KHL NLA Elitserien ELH SM-liiga CHL AHL the clausura starts soon too
and there is plenty of other basketball and hockey leagues around aswell as the ABL and winter baseball leagues

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
I'm Good i've still got the NFL NBA NHL KHL NLA Elitserien ELH SM-liiga CHL AHL the clausura starts soon too
and there is plenty of other basketball and hockey leagues around aswell as the ABL and winter baseball leagues

The NFL & NHL for me.

But both pale in comparison to the NRL.

docbrown

Coach
league is probably my favourite or at least in top 2
but i would rank the NRL a fair way down the list

Oh I actually meant in terms of personal preference. I'm quite happy with Giants & Rangers winning but it doesn't mean as much to me as my NRL club winning.

supercharger

Juniors
Oh I actually meant in terms of personal preference. I'm quite happy with Giants & Rangers winning but it doesn't mean as much to me as my NRL club winning.
No i know that you were just talking about your personal preferances
Rangers are going well though and the Giants were my preseason pick for the superbowl

nrlnrl

First Grade

good luck to Eli & co on the weekend, think they'll advance but then be knocked out in the 2nd week

Ok Doc, we know you're the expert on all things tv, but not sure if you've ever revealed your NRL team - who do you support ?

docbrown

Coach
good luck to Eli & co on the weekend, think they'll advance but then be knocked out in the 2nd week

Ok Doc, we know you're the expert on all things tv, but not sure if you've ever revealed your NRL team - who do you support ?

It's the 49ers in week 2 I think. Giants are picking up some form and anything's possible this season so we'll see. I'm a Knights tragic and I inflict it upon everybody around me. I'm just counting down the seconds till the Dragons game.

bobmar28

Bench
It's the 49ers in week 2 I think. Giants are picking up some form and anything's possible this season so we'll see. I'm a Knights tragic and I inflict it upon everybody around me. I'm just counting down the seconds till the Dragons game.

I'm pretty sure you have mentioned that before.

Giants for Superbowl. NY that is , not GWS.

Gippsy

Bench
You seem pretty close to Ch 10, Doc.

Do you think this means they intend to go hard for all of the NRL, or maybe just go hard for the Friday night games? Assuming that the rights can be split up, which I think can only happen if Ch 9's first & last deal is broken?

Thanks for the insights Doc, keep em coming.

docbrown

Coach
Well when I first heard about this timeslot plan it was just conjecture but I thought it was a smart move for them. Then the suggestion was raised that this would allow them to do better NRL coverage on Fridays then what Nine is capable of because of the buffers, pregame, post game and extra ad revenue - plus more eyes are watching from 7pm to 7:30pm then are watching from 11:00pm to 11:30pm - so the average ratings would go up as well - hence why a post game show would be broken into a seperate programme.

docbrown

Coach
there seems to be a lot of speculation that News Ltd might take over Ten recently

I've heard the same. Ten & News will put in a simulcasting bid. It's to their mutual benefit.

But News will also leave the option open to go it alone or simulcast with other networks.

beave

Coach
The IC needs to get sorted ASAP to allow negioations to be productive for TV (stating the obvious I know). The stalling is driving me f**king nuts.

In-goal

Bench
Are you saying doc, that 10 and fox will attempt to break the 9 stranglehold on FTA rugby league?

Where do you see 7 in all if this? or are they simply hoping to pick up SOO and pretty much let the rest sort itself out?

docbrown

Coach
7 & 10 don't have to partner to break the rights up, it just needs to exceed 9's offer by the margin when combined.

There's too many scenarios where this can go to say 100% who will end up with what but yes 7 would like a piece of NRL. They are interested in either Friday nights (preferably) or Sunday afternoons to do a north/south split of NRL & AFL - if the price is right.

I do not believe that Saturdays will come to free to air. Monday night is a remote possibility. But both will be on the table.

I believe it will be a case of 4 games and 2 double headers on a Friday & Sunday and if a QLD team is selected for expansion you will see 1 team from there on both days to boost the Brisbane market. There will be at least 2 NSW teams on both days, if not more, particularly a local derby match. If 10 gets the rights, expect to see regular Storm & Reds games selected.

I believe there will be only 2 FTA broadcasters for home and away matches. Sundays in my estimation will be a toss up between 7 & 9 with 9 the favourite. Fridays will be a toss up between all three with 10 the favourite - in my opinion. Finals will be split between the two with grand finals alternating. You may see the loser from the Home & Away package pick up the entire rep slate or part of it but more likely the other 2 will lock that away too. Games will most likely be simulcast on Foxtel. The other alternative is that 9 will keep its existing slate plus get an extra Sunday game.

That's 100% speculation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.