What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Breaks at 20 mins is a dumb idea. Personally, I'd increase the half time break to 15mins - technically I think its 10. If its 15 now then go 20.

Plus after every try, increase the adverstisments that we currently have by 2. Like the AFL, play waits.

And increase the adds when the ball goes into touch - scrum by at least one as well.

More ads - yes. But more ads, more money. Simple.

More ads when the scrum and ball touch come up would have more impact on the game than a set break at the 20min mark.

As well if we have further breaks in the game, I really think the amount of interchanges we have needs to be looked at. Reducing it by 2 would probably be the right amount (so 8 all up). Or even a rethink on how interchange works. Maybe only 2 players can be interchanged on the bench. While the other 2 are for direct replacement of players on the field. Once a player comes off replacing one of those 2 players, they cannot come back on.

taipan

Referee
Doesn't change the fact that an NRL game has 20 mins of ads. Where i work at CCA we judge a minute of ads to 1mil audience to be worth around $70k. It doesn't matter to us whether the audience is in Perth or Sydney. A Powerade sale is worth the same.

People on here are saying Origin is worth $50mil a year ? but why?

In the end its only 60 mins of ads. Granted thoses ads are worth maybe 200k a min but thats still only $12mil a year max.

Either NRL has more breaks or longer gsmes or accepts that what the AFL gets for its right isn't really relevent.

In June 2010 Roy Masters cited a QRl commissioned report into broadcasting rights.It was established ATT the SOO rights are worth from $11m to a high of $16m.Therefore I agree the $50m for SOO is a bit rich,although nice to get.
Using that as a basis and the fact ch9 paid about $40m in toto for FTA rights and Pay Tv about $43m,there appears to be plenty of room to move in FTA and pay Tv rights,since the last contract.
Throw in an extra time slot,based on expansion ,I believe $750m plus is attainable,even allowing for no increase in breaks but allowing for more banner ads.
FTA contract including SOO and test series $70m pa
Pay Tv contract from $43m to $65m pa
Sky News NZ currently $12m pa to $18m pa
Meaning $153m pa x 5 = $765m for 5 years minimum.
Ideally $800m would put the code in the box seat for maximising grants to 18 NRL clubs,cover a big increase in grassroots development,and provide for marketing and admin,with money left over for a war chest.

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
In June 2010 Roy Masters cited a QRl commissioned report into broadcasting rights.It was established ATT the SOO rights are worth from $11m to a high of $16m.Therefore I agree the $50m for SOO is a bit rich,although nice to get.
Using that as a basis and the fact ch9 paid about $40m in toto for FTA rights and Pay Tv about $43m,there appears to be plenty of room to move in FTA and pay Tv rights,since the last contract.
Throw in an extra time slot,based on expansion ,I believe $750m plus is attainable,even allowing for no increase in breaks but allowing for more banner ads.
FTA contract including SOO and test series $70m pa
Pay Tv contract from $43m to $65m pa
Sky News NZ currently $12m pa to $18m pa
Meaning $153m pa x 5 = $765m for 5 years minimum.
Ideally $800m would put the code in the box seat for maximising grants to 18 NRL clubs,cover a big increase in grassroots development,and provide for marketing and admin,with money left over for a war chest.

That's 325 million. Imo Fox have to pay NRL the same 500 million that they are paying AFL. Or even more as League is a superior product.

russ13

First Grade
Meanwhile it's eerily quiet on the AFL's negotiations' front:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/enter...ice-of-the-footy/story-e6fredpu-1226043486837

IT looked like a done deal. Channel 7 relented on Better Homes & Gardens; an announcement was imminent.

But instead of trumpeting a record price paid for the TV rights on Monday, the AFL was eerily silent.

The alliance between channels 7 and 10 had crumbled as the court case involving defecting Seven sales director James Warburton turned nasty. But sources claim it was in fact Channel 10 chief executive James Murdoch who pulled the pin weeks ago.

Seven put an offer of $450 million on the table to go it alone. Ten would need to negotiate to buy games off Seven if it wanted a slice of the pie.

And so now the football public waits as the AFL's negotiating team of commission chairman Mike Fitzpatrick, chief executive Andrew Demetriou, chief operating officer Gillon McLachlan and commission member Chris Lynch go over the finer details of the stations' offers...

...Last Saturday's Showdown posted the second-lowest television ratings for a Crows/Power match and the lowest for a night Showdown, averaging just 195,448 viewers.

The live football argument has haunted the AFL, but the reality is Better Homes & Gardens eclipses the footy telecast - last year averaging 1,159,013 viewers nationally to the footy's 598,367 viewers...

Last edited:

CC_Roosters

First Grade

docbrown

Coach
Oh thats interesting, plus the showdown had a less than average crowd of 33k when it usually easily gets 40k+

Is it any wonder they are not budging on better homes and gardens, look at the viewership! Some loyal viewers there

I suspect afl will anounce there deal middle of next week.

It was all set to be done and dusted on Thursday but was held up by internet rights which are integral to their billion. Nothing will be announced over Easter/Anzac Day as announcing big money deals at that time is just bad PR.

Quidgybo

Bench
That's 325 million. Imo Fox have to pay NRL the same 500 million that they are paying AFL. Or even more as League is a superior product.
That's $500m for all nine AFL games, five of those exclusive. If Fox only get five exclusive NRL games, and Free to air get four exclusive then our pay income will be less than the AFL's $500m but our Free to air income should be more. $325m for Pay is probably short but $400m wouldn't be unfair by comparison given the lack of extra non exclusive games.

Leigh.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/seven-foxtel-to-share-afl-rights/story-e6frf9jf-1226043830115

CHANNELS 9 and 10 have chosen rugby league over Australian football, and the two free-to-air broadcasters are set to drop out of the AFL rights race.
Seven is on the brink of signing off on the next five years' rights in tandem with Foxtel, with all games to be beamed live into Australian homes.
The Sunday Herald Sun has learned that Channel 10 has pulled out of the race not only because of acrimony over the defection of executive James Warburton from Seven to Ten, but to be in a better position to bid for part of the next NRL rights.
:):):)

Dogs Of War

Coach
That is music to my ears. I really do hope Channel 10 get the rights. They will do them justice, and hopefully show the games into the markets they currently aren't being shown into.

applesauce

Bench
If 10 take (or at least bid heavily) for a Saturday night and MNF the Fox price should rise at the least (don't know how exactly with the Packer/Murdoch/FS/10 ownership...)

I hope 10 get half the rights and force 9 to actually treat the ratings with respect. If 10 do the game justice then fans should watch their games more, forcing 9 to increase coverage across Australia.

7 could be in for SOO still which is good news.

smithie

Juniors
This is fantastic news for league. The NRL need a second FTA network on board to help rein in Nine. If Ten(via OneHD) are going to show Monday Night Football live nationwide in HD it looks very poor if Nine don't do the same with their games.

Noa

First Grade
So if the big Melbourne clubs are on FTA most of the time anyway whats the attraction for Collingwood, Carlton or Essendon fans to buy Fox.

Combine that with the fact they play most of there games in the Melbourne CBD, so its very easy to go and I fail to see how Fox will make big inroads in Victoria over the nxt 5 years.

DC_fan

Coach
I heard some talk this morning suggesting that C.7 will get the AFL TV Rights. Leaving C.10 with nothing to show on One HD. If this is the case then I suspect C.10 to be a major player for the NRL rights.

To anyone who gets their daily laugh from BF ,i have noticed that nearly all the fans on there prefer CH 10s broadcast to CH 7s..
Sounds good to me...
Some RL on FTA in HD .

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
The likelihood of MNF moving to OneHD and the possibility of nationwide broadcast of the football on FTA makes me a very, very, very happy man.

Wonder if C7 still plan on making a bid for the Origin rights like they were talking about earlier. 450mill on AFL is a lot, wouldn’t think that there’d be too much left over to outbid C9 or even OneHD.

docbrown

Coach
The 10 decision was made weeks ago hence all the meetings between Murdoch and Gallop.

Getting more details of what they're specifically after is like drawing blood from a stone. The story was simulcast 10/Foxtel games (akin to the AFL deal) but I still don't get where the money from 10 is coming from.

docbrown

Coach
The likelihood of MNF moving to OneHD and the possibility of nationwide broadcast of the football on FTA makes me a very, very, very happy man.

Wonder if C7 still plan on making a bid for the Origin rights like they were talking about earlier. 450mill on AFL is a lot, wouldn’t think that there’d be too much left over to outbid C9 or even OneHD.

Well a MNF 10/Fox simulcast is a very real option.

As for 7, they've still got plenty of money left in the bank. The question is: given the acrimony with 10 and their intense rivalry with 9, will they try to off sell to get some cash back?

I doubt they'd really want to deal with 9 but I wouldn't be surprised if they swallow their pride and try and get some money back by on selling a Saturday game to 9.

That then would really put all 3 back into the NRL contention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts