What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noa

First Grade
Not sure if its new or not but I heard this morning 10 has pulled out of the AFL rights race.

Goddo

Bench
Well, if 10 are out of the AFL rights, that can only be good news for us. 7 will probably get the AFL, but possibly onsell 1-2 games to 9. That would leave

7 with the cash to make a big splash for Origin,
9 trying to hang onto all of Rugby League, but probably losing some of it, and
10 trying to pick the eyes out of Friday and Monday night football, which would force Foxsports and 9 to pay more.

Realistically, without competition 9 will get RL for around $800m... basically a continuation of the last deal. BAD.
With competition we can reasonably expect as much as $900m from TV rights.

smithie

Juniors
The best outcome would be a Nine/Ten/Fox deal.

Nine/GEM: Friday Night Football - 7pm(live) & 9pm(delay) + State of Origin.
Ten/OneHD: Sunday Football - 2pm & 4pm + Monday Night Football - 7pm.
Fox Sports: Super Saturday - 5:30pm & 7:30pm & 9:30pm(Delay) + Sunday Night Football - 6:30pm*.
* - if expansion does go ahead and a ninth game is added.

Seven always have been and always will be terrible at broadcasting sport.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
Couldn't you just ask your friend for the phone number or e-mail address ?

I've seen the details posted on here before so I didn't bother to ask.

Victorian League fans should get in touch. It looks like they're gauging support for a future digital coverage in Victoria.

Paullyboy

Coach

Fox Sports: Super Saturday - 5:30pm & 7:30pm & 9:30pm(Delay) + Sunday Night Football - 6:30pm*.

How good would that be! That's got to be the absolute best case scenario for league fans I reckon, but I have a feeling it may be wishful thinking.

A media journalist from The Australian was on radio today and said it would surprise him if TEN made a serious bid for either TV rights, as they wouldn't be able to justify it to their share holders because they are currently cutting back costs and slashing budgets across the whole network.

docbrown

Coach
A media journalist from The Australian was on radio today and said it would surprise him if TEN made a serious bid for either TV rights, as they wouldn't be able to justify it to their share holders because they are currently cutting back costs and slashing budgets across the whole network.

Well I'm not surprised about 10 dropping out of the AFL rights and I can't see 7 or 9 doing them any favours for the onsell.

However the topic of conversation between Gallop & Lachlan Murdoch a few weeks ago was specifically simulcast sharing of games on FTA & Subscription. No idea where the money would come from though.

But when you think about it - if Fox were to share a stand alone Saturday night, Sunday night or Monday night game - they'd stand a good chance at keeping the majority of the subscription audience whilst pulling a few hundred thousands on One HD - as long as there isn't an oversaturation of F2A games.

bobmar28

Bench

5 games a week on FTA. I'll take that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts