What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

seanoff

Juniors
Next year they have the GWS joining , so no more bye.

even if they stick to a 22 round season they will have more games.

22 x 9 = 198

but from what I understand they are looking likely to go with a 24 round season.

so 24 x 9 = 216.

there will be 24 weeks but only 22 games. each team will get two weeks off during the season.

The players will not allow more games. and the AFLPA are actually organised and have some idea unlike the league players.

Scarves

Juniors
I think the NRL is going to be Ok. In fact I think the NRL is facing a mamoth deal.

Everyone in TV land knows the pulling power of the NRL and Origin. TV land also understands the scope available for ads when it comes to AFL and that it is also a hugely popular sport.

There is no way channel 7 is going to allow the 9 network to get away with the cheap blue murder it scored League at last time. Seven is in the box seat. It has the cash to pressure 9 into paying a premium, or it can steal some of the games from 9 and show them to the East Coast audience with AFL being shown in the Southern states.

There is much animosity between 9 & 7. The 9 Balls network will have to pay up big this time.

My big issue is live coverage... that is what I want. I don't appreciate delayed coverage at all. I hope the league stands firm on this point.

Pigskin

Juniors
Footy deal scores well for viewers and codes

Roy Masters

April 29, 2011

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/...s-and-codes-20110428-1dyxj.html#ixzz1Ksi3tBPk

FOOTBALL fans in NSW and Queensland are big winners in the record $1.25 billion AFL broadcasting deal, with all free-to-air games shown live or almost live - a big plus for the home team Swans, Giants, Lions and Suns - on the Seven Network, while rugby league supporters can expect a richer, more diverse coverage when the NRL's media rights contract is negotiated.
The big increase in the AFL's bonanza of $1.118 billion in cash and $135 million in contra deals comes from pay TV and online/mobile phone rights.
While Channel Seven has paid about the same as it did for four games under the last $780 million deal, Foxtel has more than doubled its payment of $53 million a year, while Telstra has increased its commitment of $60 million over five years to more than $140 million.

Subscription TV will dedicate a new stand-alone AFL channel in high definition as part of its Fox Sports package. The chief executive of Foxtel, Kim Williams, refused to rule out a price increase but said there would be ''no major uplift'' in subscription charges.
Foxtel will show all nine games live, including four simulcast with free-to-air TV, on its new channel.
This is a relaunch of an AFL channel that was discontinued a decade ago through lack of support at a time when free-to-air TV telecast the best games.
But now, with the AFL insisting that it, rather than the broadcasters, should control the scheduling of its fixtures, and the federal government yet to determine how the AFL's top two games will be selected for free-to-air TV, it could be expected some high-quality, exclusive contests will migrate to Foxtel in exchange for the riches it has delivered.
Telstra, which had the online and mobile phone rights to replays of AFL on delay, will now show all games live, presumably as a subscription model.
The chief executive of Channel Seven, David Leckie, has negotiated a top deal for his network, which could not afford to surrender the rights after suffering an audience share drop from 35 points to 23 when it lost the rights to a Nine-Ten consortium a decade ago.
Seven lost not only the ratings points of AFL prime-time games but the ''halo effect'' of an audience that stayed with the channel after the football was over.
Mr Leckie has clearly reserved funds for the NRL rights, which expire at the end of next year.
He has not paid significantly more than Channel Nine forced him to equal five years ago, while placating the AFL by allowing games to be shown in NSW and Queensland on Channel Seven's digital channel, 7Mate.
Asked if Seven would pursue rugby league, a Seven executive said: ''We want as much NRL as we can possibly get.''
Seven, which lost the rights to the London Olympics to Channel Nine, believes it has the extra funds needed to secure rugby league games, mainly the State of Origin.
Mr Leckie did not rule out on-selling two of its four AFL games to either Ten or Nine.
Asked if Seven would on-sell games to Ten, after the channel withdrew from its five-year sharing deal with Seven, a highranking executive of the Kerry Stokes-owned network said: ''I doubt it.''
This sets up the possibility of Seven trying to do a sharing deal with the NRL rights holder, Nine, for AFL and rugby league.
But Ten's owners, James Packer and Lachlan Murdoch, are rusted on rugby league fans and will bid.
Assuming the NRL receives from free-to-air TV the same as the AFL - or more than - the key question is whether Foxtel and Telstra will outlay more for the 13-a-side code. Given that 77 of the top 100 pay TV programs are NRL, this should be so.
A leading media buyer and a potential commissioner under the promised independent governance of the game, Barry O'Brien of the PHD company, said: ''The huge increase in the payment by Foxtel is a positive sign for the NRL, given the great ratings it generates. The fallout of Ten and Nine not bidding for AFL rights also augurs well for the NRL as they will have to go hard with their offer to secure the rights. Seven have clearly kept something in their pocket for rugby league.''
The chief executive of the NRL, David Gallop, said: ''Everyone in rugby league should be excited about this outcome. It's like having food for hungry mouths. We can see from this deal that the number of platforms has opened up and once our game's restructure is in place, we can move quickly to the negotiating phase.''

not much negative talk in this article

Oink !

El Diablo

Post Whore
What is their excuse?

this was his excuse

now seeing RL still rated higher since 2008 that proves Williams ripped us off

he will use this exact same reason again

the nly way to change it is to cancel before a deal is done

he takes RL fans for granted thinking he has enough of them subscribed already therefore doesn't need to pay up

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...tv-rip-off-claim/story-e6frexnr-1111116955780

Foxtel slams TV rip-off claim

By James Phelps
July 19, 2008 12:00AM

FOXTEL chief executive Kim Williams has taken aim at suggestions the NRL was "ripped off" during negotiations for television rights.

Williams yesterday responded to an article by Fairfax journalist Roy Masters that claimed the NRL had seriously undersold its broadcaster rights to part-owner News Limited, publisher of The Daily Telegraph.

Masters claimed in The Sydney Morning Herald on Thursday that Foxtel, Fox Sports and News Limited had underpaid the NRL for its television rights, but Williams said yesterday: "This is simply factually wrong.

"Roy Masters argued that because NRL games out-rate AFL, their TV rights are worth more.

"Wrong. The value of the rights is based on how many new subscribers will be attracted by the coverage.

"When rugby league first appeared on pay-TV, a huge sum was paid for the rights but there were no subscribers."

Williams said the market penetration of pay-TV in NSW and Queensland has been as much as 25 to 40 per cent higher than in Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia.

"This is because our coverage of league began eight years before our coverage of the AFL, and even today we still have more games of NRL than AFL each week," he said.

"The value of the latest AFL rights reflects the growth potential for new subscribers in the southern states as well as the growth still available in NSW and Queensland, given the support for the Swans and Lions.

"The total national audience for AFL is bigger than it is for NRL. That's a fact.

"But for the time being there are more league fans that subscribe to Foxtel than AFL fans.

"Nevertheless, the value of the pay TV rights for AFL and NRL are roughly the same - the big difference in the total value is because free-to-air television pays a lot more for AFL than it pays for NRL."

Last edited:

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
I saw someone say that the AFL have 3 hours coverage compared to the 2 hours of NRL and the extra advertising because of commercial breaks after every goal, longer half times and quarter breaks which is an advantage but I think having the Toyota Cup, All Stars, WCC, Four Nations and SOO games means there is simply more games especially if you throw in another 2 teams after expansion resulting in equal if not more advertising spaces anyway. I think coverage of games for the Jr. Kiwis vs Jr. Kangaroos as curtain raisers would work because of the rise in Toyota cup and maybe even an annual Tonga vs Samoa/NZ Maori vs Prime Ministers XIII fixture could work too. Imo we offer more than AFL whereas AFL only has Nab cup as a bonus. But anything will be better than the deal we got now.

Raiderdave

First Grade
It was worst case scenario, it's happened before.

At present they are content to ruin games by loading them up with countless ads making it near impossible to watch.

they may have when they paid nothing for the rights

they can't afford to when they break the bank for them

impossible to watch ... phhhtttttt
& I don't give a rats if they whack some ads in there.. if they are the ones that pay the big $$$ & we don't get diddled

I'd rather that .. then those turds at fox .. getting away with paying huge unders again for our rights.. & watching add free football
its a small price to pay

Pigskin

Juniors
The AFL also have television breaks. After a goal is scored, the umpires hold up play for a small amount of time for the networks to cram in an ad or 2.

I am all for live league, but would be more than happy for the refs to hold up play at a scrum or drop out or whatever for 45 seconds a couple of times a half in order to appease the broadcasters. Just stop the clock or make each half 45 mins.

Radical changes in some eyes perhaps, but it could be tinkered with if necessary. Like all i'm sure, wouldn't want the flow of the game affected too much.

Oink !

Raiderdave

First Grade
this was his excuse

now seeing RL still rated higher since 2008 that proves Williams ripped us off

he will use this exact same reason again

the nly way to change it is to cancel before a deal is done

he takes RL fans for granted thinking he has enough of them subscribed already therefore doesn't need to pay up

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...tv-rip-off-claim/story-e6frexnr-1111116955780

correct

he thinks once he has us subscribed .. we'll stay because we have nowhere else to go
thats fine provided they keep the sport we want to watch .. & a fair whack of it too
otherwise we walk

the NRL owe foxtel nothing ... they don't need to pander .. or cower to them , they will no longer be 50% owners of the game as we were at the last rights deal
they try it on .... they'll get burnt

As I said our game needs to be strong ... if we settle for a moderate rise
the AFL got a 60% rise on their last deal ... if we setteld for this
800 million ... then we will be trapped in a cycle that we'll never get out of

proto

Juniors
does anyone genuinely think AFL & 7 with this big deal doesnt affect 7 and them going after the NRL still? Wheres all the room for the NRL there? I can only see them getting 1 game max

Raiderdave

First Grade
The AFL also have television breaks. After a goal is scored, the umpires hold up play for a small amount of time for the networks to cram in an ad or 2.

I am all for live league, but would be more than happy for the refs to hold up play at a scrum or drop out or whatever for 45 seconds a couple of times a half in order to appease the broadcasters. Just stop the clock or make each half 45 mins.

Radical changes in some eyes perhaps, but it could be tinkered with if necessary. Like all i'm sure, wouldn't want the flow of the game affected too much.

Oink !

not a new idea
the clock stops when the ball is out of play

after it crosses the touchline ... grounded in goal ..after it crosses the touch in goal or deadball lines
& after a try is awarded.

& isn't restarted til the scrum is fed ... til the tap or line drop out is taken
or until the restart takes place at halfway

docbrown

Coach
there will be 24 weeks but only 22 games. each team will get two weeks off during the season.

The players will not allow more games. and the AFLPA are actually organised and have some idea unlike the league players.

That is yet to be decided.

However I did make a thread the other day about the NRL potentially playing 24 H & A games over a 27-28 week period with teams getting 3 or 4 byes over that period.

Effectively two extra rounds for the FTA broadcasters would be an attractive proposition and I think would go some way to negating the need for stand alone origin weekends and a pre-season comp.

Mong

Post Whore
they may have when they paid nothing for the rights

they can't afford to when they break the bank for them

impossible to watch ... phhhtttttt
& I don't give a rats if they whack some ads in there.. if they are the ones that pay the big $$$ & we don't get diddled

I'd rather that .. then those turds at fox .. getting away with paying huge unders again for our rights.. & watching add free football
its a small price to pay

Each to their own.. If your content to watch delayed games with massive amounts of ads then so be it.

In the real world however nothing beats live ad free games ( asides from being there).

The second Friday game is a disgrace. It's better to record the foxtel version of it and watch it in combination with super Saturday.

juro

Bench
does anyone genuinely think AFL & 7 with this big deal doesnt affect 7 and them going after the NRL still? Wheres all the room for the NRL there? I can only see them getting 1 game max
Well if they are just showing AFL on 7 in southern states and one of the extra channels in NSW and QLD, why couldn't they just do the opposite for NRL? Or are you talking room in their budget?

applesauce

Bench
7 have money coming out of the ass. It's a matter of if they feel
a. they need the content (meaning only SOO or a game or 2),
b. want to stretch the gap between themselves and 9 further (meaning all H&A on main in NSW & QLD and Mate in southerns) or
c. want SOO for guaranteed wins in market share (meaning only SOO).

_Johnsy

Referee
Make no mistake Ch7 have the coin. They absolutely flog every other channel in the ratings. They are streets ahead of the others when it comes to $$$

docbrown

Coach

I'll put it to you this way

a) 7 just got forced to pay $100 million more than what they wanted to because of 9

b) The now have 4 games that they have to share with another network and that will affect their flow on viewership

c) By forcing 9's hand on the NRL they affect 9's ability to bid for other sports as well

d) If they gain regular weekly matches (without simulcast) they will gain flow on NRL vieweship

e) They still can offload 1 or 2 AFL matches and have the best of both games

Like I said, 7's first counter offer will be to immediately over price by 20% to negate the first/last rights deal - and I also suspect this will include a wider broadcast distribution arrangement as well.

docbrown

Coach
Make no mistake Ch7 have the coin. They absolutely flog every other channel in the ratings. They are streets ahead of the others when it comes to $$$

Indeed.

Can you imagine the CVC/9 float if they didn't have either AFL or NRL rights?

7 aren't happy about this AFL deal but there is and they will have an opportunity to exact revenge.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Each to their own.. If your content to watch delayed games with massive amounts of ads then so be it.

In the real world however nothing beats live ad free games ( asides from being there).

The second Friday game is a disgrace. It's better to record the foxtel version of it and watch it in combination with super Saturday.

no....... nothing beats our code getting a billion plus TV deal ... so our stars stay here & play league
so all of our clubs survive ...
so grass roots football & bush football no longer get neglected

I don't care how we get it
if we can get it ... then we should.

Mong

Post Whore
no....... nothing beats our code getting a billion plus TV deal ... so our stars stay here & play league
so all of our clubs survive ...
so grass roots football & bush football no longer get neglected

I don't care how we get it
if we can get it ... then we should.

So it's all about money and quality is irrelevant..

Ok then.

docbrown

Coach
I might add that even today certain companies are murmuring that they might be unwilling to pay the additional premium over their existing 7/AFL contractural agreements for effectively the same (and in future smaller) F2A audience. It will be interesting to see how much drift there will be to other sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts