What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

docbrown

Coach
But that still brings us back to a serious bid by a second party ie a competitive market.. and I dont think 7 are in a position to seriously bid for the regular season:

They will even just for the sake of forcing Channel 9 to deplete their cash base. Like I said after 9 put in their first offer, the NRL can basically go to 7 & 10 and say "look what if we offer you this, this, this, this and this etc". Remember - every dollar 9 spends on NRL it's less they can spend on other sports and other programming. It's to 7's interest to make 9 pay as much as possible whilst also trying to gain a slice of the pie if possible.

7 could even purchase 4 games of AFL & NRL and then work out sublicencing deals with 9 & 10 to off sell. The profit projections for Seven West Media for next year are expected to exceed one billion dollars. They have the money.

I have heard Gallop say a few times in interviews that "exclusivity" attracts a "premium" when the networks put a value on a the rights to a sport.

Anyone know if he's talking out his arse?

Not as much of a premium as having a blind but multi faceted competitive bidding war.

If 9 wants to hold onto their existing package, they need to come out of the blocks with a massive deal. But even then it's no guarantee because NRL could always make changes to the package structure.

El Diablo

Post Whore
interesting to note that Ten have again decided to not show AFL live in Syd and Bris on monday night

El Diablo

Post Whore
Why do you believe this to be relevant?

because they have always been pro AFL even showing it live this year on One HD.

now they have stopped

they may be instead go for RL seeing they pulled out of bidding for the AFL rights and now they're even promoting it less

Goddo

Bench
It does look very much like 10 has done a U turn on promoting AFL.

Read into it what you like...

BDGS

Bench
because they have always been pro AFL even showing it live this year on One HD.

now they have stopped

they may be instead go for RL seeing they pulled out of bidding for the AFL rights and now they're even promoting it less

Fair enough, i have no idea what time they usually show it anyway haha.

andrew057

First Grade
I have heard Gallop say a few times in interviews that "exclusivity" attracts a "premium" when the networks put a value on a the rights to a sport. In other words, a TV station will pay more if they get to show it all - NRL, SOO, 4N, etc. The implication is although it's tempting to break the various forms of the game up and sell them as separate packages, it might be less lucrative than this exclusivity premium.

I thought that was in regards to not simulcasting the games like the AFL has done.

gUt

Coach
From memory it was in response to a Steve Mascord question along the lines of, would it be possible to sell the NRL, the NRL finals, the SOO, the international games and the U20s as separate packages. Gallop said yeah it would but a network will put an exclusivity premium on any offer to us and we should consider this too.

docbrown

Coach
From memory it was in response to a Steve Mascord question along the lines of, would it be possible to sell the NRL, the NRL finals, the SOO, the international games and the U20s as separate packages. Gallop said yeah it would but a network will put an exclusivity premium on any offer to us and we should consider this too.

If the premium isn't high enough to begin with however it's going to get outbid and like I said, even then those packages can be mixed up and rearranged and offered to other networks.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...of-longer-season/story-e6frg7mf-1226050745110

NRL keen to know value of longer season

Brent Read
May 06, 2011 12:00AM

THE NRL has asked consultancy firm LEK to put a dollar value on lengthening the regular season to 30 weeks as it steps up preparations for the most important round of broadcast negotiations in the code's history.

The prospect of a 30-week regular season was raised by Wests Tigers chief executive Steve Humphreys last year and officials are keen to discover whether it is a viable option for 2013 and beyond.

Under Humphreys' plan, the 16 clubs would play a full home-and-away season before the finals begin. LEK, which has been working in concert with the NRL, initially indicated the concept would not lead to a significant jump in the game's broadcasting rights, but the clubs have asked for a precise financial figure.

The clubs are due to meet again next week, although it is unlikely LEK will be in a position to shed light by then on the financial value of a longer season.

The idea of lengthening the season comes less than a fortnight after the AFL broke the $1 billion barrier with its new broadcasting deal. The NRL, however, needs to balance its attempt to match that figure with the pressure placed on its elite players.

That was foremost in NRL chief executive David Gallop's thoughts yesterday as he spoke about a longer season.

"It's certainly worth getting the idea valued but the concern about the workload on the players and the impact of the representative season is a pretty big one," Gallop said.

"It's a good time to be tossing ideas around. Putting some precision around its value seems the sensible thing to do."

Time is on their side, given the broadcasting negotiations are on hold until the independent commission is in place.

The clubs had given News Limited (publisher of The Australian) and the Australian Rugby League until today to remove the remaining impediments to the commission's formation.

The Australian has been told there has been movement between the parties, although several hurdles remain.

BunniesMan

Immortal
If all rep footy was after the grand final as it should be, we could do a 30 round season. And noone could bitch about an unfair schedule because everyone would get everyone twice.

30 round season
finals
origin
4 nations/world cup/kangaroo tour

That's how it should be.

Ray Mosters

Juniors
Yeah I dont know about that...one of the reasons players go overseas is that other comps have just as much cash and a much shorter season.

It would also decrease the longevity of players careers.

Just whack in more ads, we end up with just as much money and we dont run our players into the ground.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Sounds like a pretty silly idea to extend the season to 30 to play a full home and away given that it looks likely that expansion will occur within the next 2-10 years

El Diablo

Post Whore
Yeah I dont know about that...one of the reasons players go overseas is that other comps have just as much cash and a much shorter season.

Just whack in more ads, we end up with just as much money and we dont run our players into the ground.

doesn't the ESL season go for longer?

hutch

First Grade
Would hate to sacrifice test footy in favour of longer domestic season! if anything, the domestic season should be shortened!

BunniesMan

Immortal

Well it wouldn't be "just as much" cash, if we got a billion dollars we could have a cap of 7-8 million bucks. The players will happily play 6 more games if their pay goes pretty close to doubling.

Goddo

Bench
Would hate to sacrifice test footy in favour of longer domestic season! if anything, the domestic season should be shortened!

Agreed. We need quality, not quantity, and a better (apparent) market penetration. Its a balancing act, doing whats best for the game, and whats best for the TV dollar.

I'd like to see the NRL expand in places that make sense in growing the game nationally, and reduce the season to 22 h&a games, with breaks in the season for rep games.

I know some may argue quality diminishes with more teams, but we have to get a better representation of clubs in Southern population centres and a better balance between our strengths - metro Sydney and metro Brisbane. There is tallent in Europe and Union to fill 2 more squads.

Last edited:

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Season is too long as it is. FFS even the lazy as f**k Unionites used to complain about how long their season was and that was for the S12. Less NRL games please IC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts