What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Depends who's playing really, get 2 popular sides playing and it can get around 750/800k without regionals.

Here are the regional ratings for the test last year.

http://www.thinktv.com.au/media/Medi..._&_20_2010.pdf

Australia-wide audience for the Test 1.813 million -19th for the week

19 LIVE FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL 1,813

Mailand Capitals 26th for the week

LIVE FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL 1,226

Regional's 4th for the week

LIVE FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL 587

docbrown

Coach
Same game last season rated 1.8 million.

Only games to rate higher are SOO and finals.

If the Kiwis keep improving and the poms or frogs come good one day, the ratings imo will beat SOO.

If the Australian & New Zealand games start becoming 50/50 contests and the games are broadcast nationally then I think they one day will.

I think there's a real rivalry there - it's just that some of the contests haven't match the expectations but it definitely is getting better. New Zealand always seem to perform better when they get a consecutive number of games to bond the team whereas it was pointed out last night the Australia relied on the existing structure of the Queensland formation.

docbrown

Coach
Was it live into Melbourne again this year?

I doubt the ratings wouldve been that high down there with the lack of promotion compared to last year I assume.

I think the promotion was also a bit ordinary. Come Origin time you are bombarded with "State against State, Mate against Mate" advertising. Yet this one they kind of just kept low key.

Build the rivalry and you build your audience.

Mark Rudd

Juniors
I'd rather see the season the same length or shorter. And with the regular rep games but with some extra test games.

Country/City Origin
State Of Origin
3 game Test Series v Kiwi's or Pom's

But personally, I think we need more internationals. Just like we used to. 3 game series as well. I hate these one off things. It worked 10-20 years ago. Don't see why it cant now.

All this talk of player burn out.

I remember when the above was the norm. Plus we had trials AND a pre-season. Even a 7's tournament for a short time.

Maybe just make the origins/tests stand alone weekends as many suggest.

:thumb

Quidgybo

Bench
Anyone know how that 223,000 figure compares normally to SOO and NZ Warriors matches?
Warriors matches average around 165,000. Non Warriors matches average around 50,000*. Last year's Origin series averaged 146,000.

* The Non Warriors figure should be used cautiously because it is based on less complete figures and covers matches where the audience is split with another game. Read the following for a more detailed breakdown.

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?p=6757105

Leigh.

Last edited:

whall15

Coach
Those people on that AFL forum are deluded, one seriously thinks that the upcoming rights to the V8 Supercars is a serious problem for the NRL.

Mark Rudd

Juniors
Who cares what they think? I know tons that like RL. They just never get a chance to go. But when they do they love it.

Nothing wrong with being a little open minded. You might like AFL if you attend a Swans game.

But I'm sure your first love will be with RL. And what is wrong with that I ask?

Mark Rudd

Juniors
Who cares what they think? I know tons that like RL. They just never get a chance to go. But when they do they love it.

Nothing wrong with being a little open minded. You might like AFL if you attend a Swans game.

But I'm sure your first love will be with RL. And what is wrong with that I ask?

+1

:clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.