What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nrlnrl

First Grade
I was having a discussion today with someone about how 10 can improve their market share and we started talking about the recent changes to their news line up, especially on a Sunday night.

We then started discussing doubleheader NRL games as lead-ins and an interesting idea came up. I'm not saying it has any merit as it's obviously untested but here it is -

If Channel 10 had two live games on a Sunday from 2:45/3:00pm to 7:30pm with a 15-20 minute newsbreak in between just after 5pm, would you & your household be inclined to stop watching 7 or 9's 6pm news coverage?

Half time of the second game would approximately occur at around 6:20pm.

Don't put ideas like that on here, the tv stations might steal them.....why don't you work for one ? - seem to have a really good grasp of what would work. Maybe the thread should be changed to ask Doc Brown.

I do think people should realise if 7 or 10 get a slice of the pie they won't be thinking about providing the best deal for viewers, they want to attract the viewers for their ratings & then manipulate them as 9 do on Friday nights & Sunday afternoons. OK, not a scoop there, but people fall into the trap of thinking a new coverage will be better than what we currently have - careful what you wish for....

Last edited:

nrlnrl

First Grade
Cool. If you're not interested i the news articles or in disucussing them in re: to the tv deal, don't post.

It's a forum where people express opinions, I didn't think the rule was we had to agree with everyone's posts.

It just surprises me that people don't realise Fairfax will take every opportunity to write negative stories about News Ltd & vice versa. Of course the SMH will write articles suggesting that Foxtel are in danger of losing rugby league & subscribers. It's not just limited to the women's gossip columnists on Sunday who claim to be sporting journalists & spend time praising their favourites, then bagging people they don't like & hold grudges against. The newspapers these days are dominated by opinions rather than fact & are more like a website forum.

Gee, let's create a headline & watch the hits on our website.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
Don't put ideas like that on here, the tv stations might steal them.....why don't you work for one ? - seem to have a really good grasp of what would work. Maybe the thread should be changed to ask Doc Brown

It wouldn't bother me if they steal them. It wouldn't bother me if the NRL stole them. The best thing is for multiple networks/media platforms to be blindly competing against each other with as many different packages as possible. Even Gallop's on the doubleheader bandwagon.

I mean this option is really only something that 10 could pull off and they could only really get it to work with Rugby League anyhow.

BunniesMan

Immortal
It's a forum where people express opinions, I didn't think the rule was we had to agree with everyone's posts.

It just surprises me that people don't realise Fairfax will take every opportunity to write negative stories about News Ltd & vice versa. Of course the SMH will write articles suggesting that Foxtel are in danger of losing rugby league & subscribers. It's not just limited to the women's gossip columnists on Sunday who claim to be sporting journalists & spend time praising their favourites, then bagging people they don't like & hold grudges against. The newspapers these days are dominated by opinions rather than fact & are more like a website forum.

Gee, let's create a headline & watch the hits on our website.
I was reading an article the other day about how Communist China has 10,000 paid stooges hanging around various chinese forums who blindly post pro-communist party propaganda, and get paid for it.

I'm thinking you're a News LTD stooge. You seem to be very pro News and very anti fairfax.

When fairfax has done even a tenth of damage to the game that News has done, maybe then most league fans will hate them as much as we hate News.

Until then, I'm a thousand times more likely to believe an anti-news fairfax article than I am anything coming from News itself.

bobmar28

Bench
I was having a discussion today with someone about how 10 can improve their market share and we started talking about the recent changes to their news line up, especially on a Sunday night.

We then started discussing doubleheader NRL games as lead-ins and an interesting idea came up. I'm not saying it has any merit as it's obviously untested but here it is -

If Channel 10 had two live games on a Sunday from 2:45/3:00pm to 7:30pm with a 15-20 minute newsbreak in between just after 5pm, would you & your household be inclined to stop watching 7 or 9's 6pm news coverage?

Half time of the second game would approximately occur at around 6:20pm.

I would watch the lot, news and all. My wife and kids might want to watch something at 6.30 though. Mind you the 6.30 programs are mostly crap anyway.

Come to think of it they like dancing with the stars and Masterchef, both of which are on at 7.30.

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
It wouldn't bother me if they steal them. It wouldn't bother me if the NRL stole them. The best thing is for multiple networks/media platforms to be blindly competing against each other with as many different packages as possible. Even Gallop's on the doubleheader bandwagon.

I mean this option is really only something that 10 could pull off and they could only really get it to work with Rugby League anyhow.

It's such a good idea. Has he said anything about it?

nrlnrl

First Grade
I was reading an article the other day about how Communist China has 10,000 paid stooges hanging around various chinese forums who blindly post pro-communist party propaganda, and get paid for it.

I'm thinking you're a News LTD stooge. You seem to be very pro News and very anti fairfax.

When fairfax has done even a tenth of damage to the game that News has done, maybe then most league fans will hate them as much as we hate News.

Until then, I'm a thousand times more likely to believe an anti-news fairfax article than I am anything coming from News itself.

Yeah, you're right Detective BunniesMan. I work at the Telegraph & I'm trying to create more hits for the website...NOT !!!

Fair enough to think that, but if you read my posts you'd see that I'm just as critical of the rubbish that comes from News Ltd media & in particular the Telegraph. ( example below )

Originally Posted by nrlnrl

It just surprises me that people don't realise Fairfax will take every opportunity to write negative stories about News Ltd & vice versa.

I'm not claiming to be right or wrong, just expressing my opinion as you have done. My point with the SMH & Sun Herald is that many believe them to be "real" newspapers that don't stoop to the tabloid approach of the Daily Telegraph & Sunday Telegraph who look for a headline rather than a story. Both organisations have their agendas & opinions, people can believe them, agree with them or disagree with them.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
It's such a good idea. Has he said anything about it?

He did a forum a while ago where he spoke about its advantages on a Sunday, almost word for word things I had sent to them and listed here.

Even if a Sunday doubleheader didn't happen it wouldn't bother me so long as they create enough tension/options to get the best deal possible.

The LEK guys know this because it's their business. From what I understand they've already got a large list of scenarios already developed.

BDGS

Bench
He did a forum a while ago where he spoke about its advantages on a Sunday, almost word for word things I had sent to them and listed here.

Even if a Sunday doubleheader didn't happen it wouldn't bother me so long as they create enough tension/options to get the best deal possible.

The LEK guys know this because it's their business. From what I understand they've already got a large list of scenarios already developed.

Top shelf.

Notaleaver

Juniors
I know this has probably been done a little while ago, but just thought a poll regarding peoples opinions couldnt hurt.

So how much money do you think we will be able to milk from the proverbial teet of the TV companies?

BunniesMan

Immortal
IMO a realistic amount is 900-1b. It's not quite the magic billion figure, but it is double per year compared to what we currently get. I'd be happy with that and it would be enough money for everything we need, higher cap, more teams etc etc.

docbrown

Coach
The "News Ltd appointed lackey" conspiracy theorists would probably say he met with Gallop to give him orders.

Leigh.

The story going around at the time was how Foxtel/10 simulcasting could possibly structured - however I haven't really heard much about it since then to be honest.

That could either mean

a) It was false - but I don't think that was the case as it came from more than 1 source. It could also just mean the scope was different to what was speculated.
b) It's true but they're keeping it under wraps
c) It's true but Gallop is following the club's directive not to engage with the media networks directly one-on-one

I believe it to be C.

Quidgybo

Bench
The interesting thing for me is the idea that from 9 games each week we could end up with five games on Free to Air (Friday double header, Sunday double header and Monday) and still have five games on Fox, with Monday night being the crossover match. Perhaps live and ad free on Fox with a 60 or 90 minute delayed replay on Free to Air chock full of ads.

Leigh.

Last edited:

Gippsy

Bench
The interesting thing for me is the idea that from 9 games each week we could end up with five games on Free to Air (Friday double header, Sunday double header and Monday) and still have five games on Fox, with Monday night being the crossover match. Perhaps live and ad free on Fox with a 60 or 90 minute delayed replay on Free to Air chock full of ads.

Leigh.

Provided that was the deal in the non core states as well I would be more than happy.

Notaleaver

Juniors
*sigh why did my thread get merged with this? i know there both talking about tv rights but this one is about WHO should get instead of HOW MUCH we should get.

*sigh whatever

smithie

Juniors

Leigh.

I don't expect to see any games on delay in the new deal, except the 2nd game on Friday night. There is just too much money to be made through live betting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts