What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goddo

Bench
I posted this in the Brisbane II thread, but thought it was relevant to TV talk...
Assuming Perth and one of the SE Qld bids get up, and assuming that Free to air has 4 matches from 2013 (8 club TV slots per week), a likely TV week would be something like

Friday
1st pick - LIVE FTA Bulldogs vs Titans 7:30pm ANZ Stadium - Sydney metro vs Brisbane metro
2nd pick - LIVE FTA Redsvs Tigers 9:30pm nib Stadium - Sydney metro vs Perth metro

Saturday
9th pick - LIVE PayTV Warriors vs Raiders 3:30pm Mt Smart Stadium - ACT/NSW regional vs NZ
6th pick - LIVE PayTV Eels vs Brisbane II 5:30pm Parramatta Stadium - Sydney metro vs Brisbane metro
4th pick - LIVE PayTV Dragons vs Knights7:30pm WIN Jubilee Oval - Sydney metro vs NSW regional

Sunday
8th pick - LIVE PayTV Sharks vs Cowboys 2:00pm Toyota Stadium - Sydney metro vs Queensland regional
5th pick - LIVE FTA Storm vs Sea Eagles 4:00pm AAMI Park - Sydney metro vs Melbourne metro
7th pick - LIVE PayTV Rabbitohs vs Panthers 7:00pm ANZ Stadium - Sydney metro vs Sydney metro

Monday
3rd pick - LIVE FTA Broncos vs Roosters 7:30pm Suncorp Stadium - Sydney metro vs Brisbane metro

* Every day of the weekend features a Queensland and NSW side.
* Suncorp is used once every weekend
* NZ, Perth and Melbourne are used to tap timeslots and large markets (important with anti-siphoning changes and for boosting ratings)
* Friday nights can go live in both time slots when using Perth home games
* Free to air games would feature mostly OzTam rating cities, particularily Brisbane and Sydney.
* Of the 4 Queensland games, the best 2-3 performing sides would likely be free to air.
* Timeslot use allows scheduling to maximise the number of games that can go live

Just thinking about the WA and NZ timezones, the next logical expansion 10 years from now would then be Adelaide and Wellington.

You could schedule a NZ home game every week that would have a favourable timezone for AEST.

Similarily couple Perth and Adelaide home games - I know theres 1hr 30min between Adelaide and Perth, but a Saturday 4:00pm kick off in Adelaide for a 7:30pm AEST broadcast isn't bad.

So a Saturday night would have

- Perth or Adelaide vs someone 5:30/7:00pm kick off, 7:30pm live AEST broadcast
- NSW/QLD/VIC game 5:30pm kick off, live AEST broadcast
- Auckland or Wellington vs someone 5:30pm kick off, 3:30pm live AEST broadcast

Adelaide/Wellington would be probably the best options next time around for TV money, assuming Perth/Brisbane are in 2013.

Quidgybo

Bench
Just thinking about the WA and NZ timezones, the next logical expansion 10 years from now would then be Adelaide and Wellington.

You could schedule a NZ home game every week that would have a favourable timezone for AEST.

Similarily couple Perth and Adelaide home games - I know theres 1hr 30min between Adelaide and Perth, but a Saturday 4:00pm kick off in Adelaide for a 7:30pm AEST broadcast isn't bad.
In terms of timezones, Adelaide doesn't get us anything another AEST wouldn't get us. It's only half an hour behind and Rugby League takes a two hour slot. Another NZ team for sure but I think it'll be paired with a fifth Queensland team. Same as this time, one frontier expansion team and one new Queensland team. Unless an existing team relocates to either market in the mean time.

Leigh

docbrown

Coach
Interesting reading people discuss 9's piss poor coverage of Rugby League on the Channel 9 Wide World of Sports facebook page.

Re: digital channel coverage:

"We agree with you Graeme and thats why we're pushing for a more sport orientated digital presence. Victoria has been identified by the NRL as a significant target but even so, its live league broadcasts this year have attracted an average o...f 37,000 viewers."

1 game.
Only decided to be shown live in Melbourne only days beforehand with next to zero exposure.

For the record 37,000 in Melbourne > than what Gem normally gets.

Reading some of their excuses on there about their lack of HD coverage is just hilarious.

9 = bad for rugby league
NRL not putting pressure on 9 = bad for rugby league

docbrown

Coach
In terms of timezones, Adelaide doesn't get us anything another AEST wouldn't get us. It's only half an hour behind and Rugby League takes a two hour slot. Another NZ team for sure but I think it'll be paired with a fifth Queensland team. Same as this time, one frontier expansion team and one new Queensland team. Unless an existing team relocates to either market in the mean time.

Leigh

I think with two New Zealand teams you'd aim to have at least one feature on a Sunday in order not to clash with the Super Rugby and boost ratings.

Interesting reading people discuss 9's piss poor coverage of Rugby League on the Channel 9 Wide World of Sports facebook page.

Re: digital channel coverage:

"We agree with you Graeme and thats why we're pushing for a more sport orientated digital presence. Victoria has been identified by the NRL as a significant target but even so, its live league broadcasts this year have attracted an average o...f 37,000 viewers."

1 game.
Only decided to be shown live in Melbourne only days beforehand with next to zero exposure.

For the record 37,000 in Melbourne > than what Gem normally gets.

Reading some of their excuses on there about their lack of HD coverage is just hilarious.

9 = bad for rugby league
NRL not putting pressure on 9 = bad for rugby league

so the bastards did set us up

i hope to god they lose the f**king rights, bunch of merkins

docbrown

Coach
so the bastards did set us up

i hope to god they lose the f**king rights, bunch of merkins

It appears so. I'm just amused by the utter stupidity of it.

Think of it this way. No respectable statistician would derive a long term conclusion from a rare one off event and call it an "average".

I think we need a "List of Pathetic Channel 9 Excuses" thread.

Edwahu

Bench
Reading those excuses made me laugh out loud. It's just pathetic. Totally pathetic.

The funny part is that even after coping a hammering over origin they actually ask if they should buy a AFL game as lead in to sunday NRL...

docbrown

Coach
The funny part is that even after coping a hammering over origin they actually ask if they should buy a AFL game as lead in to sunday NRL...

It did next to nothing for them the last time it was tried. The cross over audience is minimal. Any talk of that would have originated from AFL fans.

NRL Sunday Doubleheader > AFL + NRL on Sunday

For years Nine were the number one network and were arrogant for being so. But the internal powerplays have weakened it and there is a real divide between Sydney vs Melbourne operations. The whole network is skewed to 45+. Could you imagine what would happen to their youth demographic if they lost the NRL? It posts the strongest under 25 percentiles of any of their programmes. That's the whole reason they needed to create Go!

Yet despite their losses and chasing their own tails, their arrogance remains undiminished.

If the float goes ahead, I can see some big changes happening at board level. Certain Victorian egos are dragging the whole place down the gurgler.

Loudstrat

Coach
They are using it as an idle threat, which is what they do. From what I can understand, all the clubs are pro IC, so unless News start with Melbourne and Brisbane, they have no hope.

I guess they can throw big $ at players and start their own rebel clubs AKA Adelaide and Hunter, but just like last time only an absolute moron would support them (sad for the dieard fans of turncoat clubs I guess).

I have heard that the 16 NRL Clubs would all leave and form their own comp - a neat way of getting their IC without News being involved at all. Sell their own TV rights to the higher bidder and weather the News legal storm that would follow.

I hate News Ltd and the way they f*ck RL. A pox on the selfish stupid moronic clubs that brought this evil plague into our game in the first place!

some11

Referee
I have heard that the 16 NRL Clubs would all leave and form their own comp - a neat way of getting their IC without News being involved at all. Sell their own TV rights to the higher bidder and weather the News legal storm that would follow.

That would be awesome, wouldn't mind going back to being called ARL either.

kmav23

Juniors
Guys you do realize that's news is a business and shareholders are only interested in making the most profit and highest share price. It's not a charity and it's sole purpose is to make money.

Loudstrat

Coach
So you;d support Traitor League Mk II if News organised it?

Maybe you should f*ck off north and seek out a ponce called John Ribot and become his live in lover you tool.

Guys you do realize that's news is a business and shareholders are only interested in making the most profit and highest share price. It's not a charity and it's sole purpose is to make money.
Their business "ethics" don't exist. They are still evil bastards. Don't polish a turd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts