What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
It has been hard for the NRL to achieve a just price when it has been ruled by News Ltd directors who sit on one side of a table making an offer and then run around the other side of the table to gleefully accept it.

Herein lies the problem. IC??

IC will not be indepedennt if they don't get rid of Gallop.

For every nuffy apologist that says he has done a great job, remember this:
If you put a monkey on Phar Lap, he still would have run like the wind.

Gippsy

Bench
IC will not be indepedennt if they don't get rid of Gallop.

For every nuffy apologist that says he has done a great job, remember this:
If you put a monkey on Phar Lap, he still would have run like the wind.

Agree with what your saying and I prefer Gallop does not stay in charge. But still, it has to be more indepenent than what we have at the moment. And I assume that all decisions, including the most important decision they will make, ie the TV rights, will be made by the board of the IC, not the chairman. So, even if we get stuck with Gallop as chairman, if we can fill the IC with good people who are not News lackeys and have the interests of the game at heart, we will be better off.

Goddo

Bench
The ARLC better stand up to Fox this time, or there will be blood. The clubs and fans won't cop it again.

If they make a crappy offer, it should be thrown back at them, not meekly accepted, ala Gallop last time.

Quidgybo

Bench
Agree with what your saying and I prefer Gallop does not stay in charge. But still, it has to be more indepenent than what we have at the moment. And I assume that all decisions, including the most important decision they will make, ie the TV rights, will be made by the board of the IC, not the chairman. So, even if we get stuck with Gallop as chairman, if we can fill the IC with good people who are not News lackeys and have the interests of the game at heart, we will be better off.
Let's be very clear here because there seems to be a general misconception.

The CEO and the Chairman of the Commission are two different positions. The Commission will chose its own Chair from amongst the eight commissioners. Meanwhile the CEO (ie. Gallop) will be not be a member of the Commission or have a vote on the Commission. He is an employee, hired and fired by the Commission. Gallop will remain as CEO for the sake of continuity during the transition but thereafter his retention will be at the discretion of the Commission.

And as with the last TV deal, the ultimate sign off on the new rights will not be made by Gallop but by the Board/Commission that employs him. This time it will be the eight members of the Commission. Last time it was the three News Ltd and three ARL members of the NRL Partnership Board.

Leigh

Raiderdave

First Grade
Is Roy trolling LU or something...?

Pretty spot on to the thoughts and sentiments coming from here.

geez louise ... I was told I'm not living in the real world by some nupties in here
yet Roy seems to have written everything I've been saying ;-)

RL potentially being an exclusive FTA product & if not this .. then
FTA cherry picking the prime NRL games leaving foxtel with rubbish games &.. &
foxtel would be decimated by the above with subcribers dropping like flies in NSW & QLD

seems a respected commentator agrees with me
not some other wombats who post in here

Gippsy

Bench
Let's be very clear here because there seems to be a general misconception.

The CEO and the Chairman of the Commission are two different positions. The Commission will chose its own Chair from amongst the eight commissioners. Meanwhile the CEO (ie. Gallop) will be not be a member of the Commission or have a vote on the Commission. He is an employee, hired and fired by the Commission. Gallop will remain as CEO for the sake of continuity during the transition but thereafter his retention will be at the discretion of the Commission.

And as with the last TV deal, the ultimate sign off on the new rights will not be made by Gallop but by the Board/Commission that employs him. This time it will be the eight members of the Commission. Last time it was the three News Ltd and three ARL members of the NRL Partnership Board.

Leigh

Good. Thanks. As I said though the decisions will be made by the Board of the IC, so the important thing now is to get the right eight board members. Gallop remaining as CEO is not the big issue some have made it out to be, provided we get good board members who will act in the best interests of the game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Gallop as the face of the NRL is a problem, history and general lack of presence in front of the cameras remains an issue regardless of the IC make up. You alos have to remember that in most companies boards make the strategic decisions but day to day operational decisions remain the domain of the CEO and Snr management.

I still haven't seen anything about how the board will be employed and how many hours a week they will actually work on it.

applesauce

Bench
In saying that Quid, A.Dim had a huge influence within the AFL rights. Whether or not the Commission strangle away the influence Gallop can have on the negotiations is yet to be seen.

Quidgybo

Bench
In saying that Quid, A.Dim had a huge influence within the AFL rights. Whether or not the Commission strangle away the influence Gallop can have on the negotiations is yet to be seen.
Of course they can, they just sack him and he'll have zero influence. If Gallop does what the Commission wants then they'll keep him, if he doesn't then they'll fire him. The only reason Dim had a huge influence on the AFL rights is because that's what their Commission wanted and approved. Likewise Gallop will only have a huge influence if our Commission wants and approves of that influence.

Leigh.

applesauce

Bench
Of course they can, they just sack him and he'll have zero influence. If Gallop does what the Commission wants then they'll keep him, if he doesn't then they'll fire him. The only reason Dim had a huge influence on the AFL rights is because that's what their Commission wanted and approved. Likewise Gallop will only have a huge influence if our Commission wants and approves of that influence.

Leigh.

That's exactly what I mean/am afraid of.

docbrown

Coach
That's exactly what I mean/am afraid of.

The clubs would probably only allow him there is they can have their own representative (even outside the new commission) to have an eye on him.

As Bourbon Becky implied during one of her sober days in rehab, this deal will either make Gallop a hero or a villain.

I'd say Gallop is thinking about his legacy and I'm sure he wants to be remembered as the guy who help get a massive windfall.

El Diablo

Post Whore
RL1911p000_COVER_ipad_normal.jpg

LeagueWeek Rugby League Week

NRL Chiefs have thrown their support behind Monday Night Football, suggesting it should be considered for free-to-air in the future.

andrew057

First Grade
Free for all: Monday the new front for TV deal

Brad Walter

May 13, 2011

MONDAY night matches could be moved to free-to-air television as the NRL takes an aggressive stance over the undervalueing of the code by pay TV broadcasters.

Club bosses yesterday backed the retention of Monday Night Football, which has this season provided three of the 10 highest rating pay-television programs in history, but suggested it could be broadcast free-to-air in future.

The view of the CEOs follows revelations in the Herald on Wednesday of growing resentment in league circles over the belief that Foxtel boss Kim Williams favoured AFL when his organisation recently agreed to pay $650 million for five exclusive games a week. In comparison, the NRL currently receives $210m from Fox Sports for the same number of live exclusive games - yet league dominates the top 100 pay-TV programs every year.

Unless they receive a similar pay TV deal to AFL, the NRL will look to place as many games as possible on free-to-air TV and is exploring other broadcast options.

Channel Ten is believed to be keen on Monday Night Football, which has regularly attracted audiences of more than 350,000 viewers this season, but there is expected to be intense competition when the new television deal is negotiated for 2013 and beyond.

Nine is determined to retain the rights but Seven also wants a share and is cashed up after not paying any more for its AFL coverage than the current deal.

NRL officials believe AFL got a better deal last time the rights for the two codes were up for grabs and are outraged at suggestions pay TV is prepared to pay more to the rival code in a bid to attract new subscribers.
If the majority of matches were on free-to-air television, many league fans could be expected to cancel they Foxtel subscriptions.

The development comes as negotiations for News Ltd to exit the game move closer, although the clubs and the ARL have indicated that a guarantee the media organisation would not start another Super League-type breakaway competition for five years would not be acceptable.

News has the first-and-last rights on future broadcast deals until 2027 after receiving a five-year extension on the arrangement negotiated as part of the Super League war settlement and the company says it would not make sense for it to start a rival competition.

However, the Herald was told News is concerned that a non-compete clause could be interpreted in the future as precluding the Murdoch empire from getting involved with any rival code or other form of entertainment.

A meeting yesterday between representatives of the key stakeholders involved in negotiations for the independent commission failed to settle on the identity of the eight commissioners.

Unless progress is made, clubs are considering refusing to sign extensions of their licencing agreements, which expire at the end of the season.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...for-tv-deal-20110512-1eku2.html#ixzz1M9S0LJCo

Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.