What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lego_Man

First Grade
"the most critical broadcasting deal in rugby league history"

Isnt that what they were calling it last time as well?

Ray Mosters

Juniors
"the most critical broadcasting deal in rugby league history"

Isnt that what they were calling it last time as well?
The TV rights agreement where the code pulls itself out of the mire that its in will be the most critical in history.

Every one is hoped to be that before it occurs

chrisc101

Juniors
This is exactly why there will be no expansion clubs for sometime. All upside will go to raising the cap and hopefully money in the bank for development etc.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Here's a scenario: Ch9 and Fox collude again and offer the code $125-150mill a year for 5 years starting in 2012 as long as the deal is signed without going to open market. I wonder if the NRL would take it?

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...m-the-early-days/story-e6frg996-1225902726586

NRL's fans get access to games from the early days

* Simon Canning
* August 09, 2010 12:00AM

THE National Rugby League has launched the next phase of its media expansion.

It is selling archived footage to consumers in a move that will also have an impact on its upcoming broadcast negotiations.

The NRL began work on the archive more than a year ago as part of its centenary year celebrations, pulling together footage of games in a digital format, which it then made available to advertisers to use in campaigns.

But the league has now gone a step further, opening the archive directly to fans and allowing them access to games stretching back through the history of the code. So far, the NRL has invested more that $1.2 million compiling the footage and setting up a system to create the searchable digital archive.

Revenue from the initiative has begun to flow with the code now earning between $300,000 and $400,000 annually from sales, initially to advertisers and content creators.

Ownership of the footage and the ability of the NRL to derive revenue from it is expected to be an important element of the broadcast rights negotiations with the league when they start next year.

The NRL will have separate archives in its own area that will be negotiated independently of the broadcast rights. "It goes to create real value on its own, not just as an add-on," NRL director of communications John Brady said. The league has managed to bring together more than 16,000 pieces of archive footage and has digitised more than 7000 hours of film so far.

Shane Mattiske, director of strategy and special projects at the NRL, said bringing together the footage in a single archive had made the footage much more valuable to the NRL, both from a commercial and historic perspective. The NRL has had to negotiate with the ABC, Seven, Nine and Ten to get the footage.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...m-the-early-days/story-e6frg996-1225902726586

NRL's fans get access to games from the early days

* Simon Canning
* August 09, 2010 12:00AM

THE National Rugby League has launched the next phase of its media expansion.

It is selling archived footage to consumers in a move that will also have an impact on its upcoming broadcast negotiations.

The NRL began work on the archive more than a year ago as part of its centenary year celebrations, pulling together footage of games in a digital format, which it then made available to advertisers to use in campaigns.

But the league has now gone a step further, opening the archive directly to fans and allowing them access to games stretching back through the history of the code. So far, the NRL has invested more that $1.2 million compiling the footage and setting up a system to create the searchable digital archive.

Revenue from the initiative has begun to flow with the code now earning between $300,000 and $400,000 annually from sales, initially to advertisers and content creators.

Ownership of the footage and the ability of the NRL to derive revenue from it is expected to be an important element of the broadcast rights negotiations with the league when they start next year.

The NRL will have separate archives in its own area that will be negotiated independently of the broadcast rights. "It goes to create real value on its own, not just as an add-on," NRL director of communications John Brady said. The league has managed to bring together more than 16,000 pieces of archive footage and has digitised more than 7000 hours of film so far.

Shane Mattiske, director of strategy and special projects at the NRL, said bringing together the footage in a single archive had made the footage much more valuable to the NRL, both from a commercial and historic perspective. The NRL has had to negotiate with the ABC, Seven, Nine and Ten to get the footage.

docbrown

Coach
Here's a scenario: Ch9 and Fox collude again and offer the code $125-150mill a year for 5 years starting in 2012 as long as the deal is signed without going to open market. I wonder if the NRL would take it?

I think they'll know how much whinging and bitching will arise if they make a deal that far below the AFL's.

I suspect the final deal will land them $190-$205 million a year, depending on how they break it up.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I've always wanted to see the first Origin game. Perhaps this will be my chance.

That is unless someone knows another way of course.

Ray Mosters

Juniors
I think they'll know how much whinging and bitching will arise if they make a deal that far below the AFL's.

I suspect the final deal will land them $190-$205 million a year, depending on how they break it up.
You think we are going to go from 600 million to 1.2 billion in one jump? I doubt it

Personally I reckon that if we manage to split off Origin the domestic rights will go from 90 to about 115-125 million, tops.

With New Zealand being about 20-25 this time we should be around the 850-900m mark for the TV rights.

Combine that with the savings from the IC and the money from the NSW government to keep the GF in Sydney then we are looking at the game being 60 million per year better off than in the last rights agreement.

Which is fantastic and basically maximises the games earning potential until we address the issue of the low ratio of ad time in our games (something which I have been banging on this board about for years).

Perth Red

Post Whore
You think we are going to go from 600 million to 1.2 billion in one jump? I doubt it

Personally I reckon that if we manage to split off Origin the domestic rights will go from 90 to about 115-125 million, tops.

With New Zealand being about 20-25 this time we should be around the 850-900m mark for the TV rights.

Combine that with the savings from the IC and the money from the NSW government to keep the GF in Sydney then we are looking at the game being 60 million per year better off than in the last rights agreement.

Which is fantastic and basically maximises the games earning potential until we address the issue of the low ratio of ad time in our games (something which I have been banging on this board about for years).

Don't forget the internet rights. IF the Labour Govt broadband scheme happens live streaming of games and other NRL features could become a major player and as such they should be worth a mint. Currently Telstra pay AFL $12mill for internet rights and NRL $4-6(difficult to calculate due to tying it up with comp naming rights and other freebies thrown in) (http://www.afana.com/drupal5/news/2006/10/06/afl_signs_new_deal_telstra-346) so there must be plenty of money to be made there as well, especially as I can see internet rights becoming increasingly valuable with live streaming straight to peoples TV's, iPads and mobiles.

Last edited:

Cletus

First Grade

/Wilson mode/ That's only $3million p.a. more to the teams, who cares!

And you've forgotten about internet/phone rights which we don't get paid a cent for now. I don't think the contract will be huge but it will be a huge improvement over the last one.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I had a quick look at the internet/phone rights and it seems:

AFL get $12mill a year from Telstra for rights (plus $12mill a year from Toyota for comp naming rights)

NRL gets $15mill a year (only $10mill cash) from Telstra for both Internet rights and naming rights
(http://www.crikey.com.au/2007/03/07/telstra-gets-a-bargain-with-nrl-sponsorship-rights/)

There's at least $9-14mill a year we are missing out on now, and with an expanded comp, greater internet coverage and CPI there should be at least another $12-15mill a year coming from internet and naming rights from 2013.

docbrown

Coach

My estimate would 0.95 to 1.025 billion, so not that far off.

It all depends on the split between channels and representative matches. If 7 loses Friday Night AFL, you watch and see the bidding war that happens for Friday Night NRL.

From what I hear from Screenhub Channel 9 are pursuing that old Friday Night AFL/NRL states split again, but this time with the other non-core states to be shown on digital. I also believe Channel 7 are looking to do the same.

Ten are looking to dump Saturday AFL and take Friday AFL from 7 in their joint bid. Both 7 & 9 have shown interest in Monday AFL, but only 9 would show it nationally. 7 would like to purchase a Sunday NRL double header so it would have Friday AFL, Saturday Union, Sunday NRL. Channel 10 & 9 are also pursuing the sunday double header. Origin, internationals, finals and rep matches - if seperated - will be an-all-in dogfight between the 3 networks - something that AFL doesn't have a comparison.

9 has stated adamantly that it intends to keep all NRL properties. 7's Kerry Stokes has stated his anger at losing NRL rights last time round. 10 is the unknown property.

In any case, it's going to be a dogfight.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Watching a bumbling Abbot last night trying to explain their Broadband system I pray to (his) god they don't get in or we can kiss goodbye to ever having fast enough streaming system to make the internet rights hugely valuable.

Dragonwest

Juniors
Watching a bumbling Abbot last night trying to explain their Broadband system I pray to (his) god they don't get in or we can kiss goodbye to ever having fast enough streaming system to make the internet rights hugely valuable.

At least we wont have million dollar school shelters :p

Status
Not open for further replies.