What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Are we back to yet another conflict of interest if 10 get the rights to NRL, given he would have shares in 10 and Foxsports?

russ13

First Grade
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl-and-cricket-coverage-could-be-a-target-for-ten-20101020-16uae.html

NRL and cricket coverage could be a target for Ten

October 21, 2010

James Packer's reported $245 million stake in Network Ten has sparked speculation the station could bid to secure the rights to rugby league and international cricket when the deals with Channel Nine expire. Ten's hierarchy was monitoring the market late yesterday to see whether Packer reached the threshold that would not only provide him with a seat on the board but also make him Ten's majority stakeholder. The league television rights, which expire at the end of 2012, are crucial as the next broadcast deal is expected to help underpin the code's financial future when News Ltd ends its partnership with the NRL to allow the formation of the Independent Commission. Channel Seven has declared its interest in the rights to State of Origin. Nine, however, vowed to keep the rights at all costs when it was leaked in March that a delegation from Ten met NRL chief executive David Gallop to offer an expression of interest. The Herald understands that during the meeting, Ten's delegation said they'd be interested in screening a game on a Friday or Monday night.

id love it

just love it if they had split up stuff.

say, nine puts in 800 million and gets all the season games>

however. 7 buys SOO for 100 million a game.

finals go for about the same price?

genius.

simostorm

Bench
Hopefully the deal goes down as good as those articles potray that it will..

i'd personally like to see 7 get more League coverage.. they do a great job with other codes, they would really lift the standerd of a televised match compared to nine.

Hopefully the deal goes down as good as those articles potray that it will..

i'd personally like to see 7 get more League coverage.. they do a great job with other codes, they would really lift the standerd of a televised match compared to nine.

Except they are the only channel yet to broadcast sport in HD.

Prop Forward

Juniors
The live coverage of Channel 7 worries me.

When Channel 7 do Wallaby games 'live' the same games are live on Fox. The 7 Coverage is always at least 30 seconds or up to 10 minutes behind the Fox because they actually show entire ads and then resume play after the ads. So they go further and further behind as the game goes on.

They did the same thing with the Bathurst 1000 a few weeks ago.

smithie

Juniors
Seven has always been awful at broadcasting sport. From Wallabies games to the Olympics, it is just one big snore fest. (and still no HD)

The idea of Bruce McAvaney commentating/hosting State of Origin is to terrifying to think about.

meltiger

First Grade
7 were looking at getting Hadley if they got the rights http://www.couriermail.com.au/enter...ts-on-ray-hadley/story-e6freq7o-1225928590850

don't think we'd hear Bruce

Mate, I wouldn't count it out for events.

Seven has always been awful at broadcasting sport. From Wallabies games to the Olympics, it is just one big snore fest. (and still no HD)

The idea of Bruce McAvaney commentating/hosting State of Origin is to terrifying to think about.

Admittedly, I don't watch alot of it anymore, but AFL fans whinge incessantly about C7 as well

simostorm

Bench
yes.. 10 is the best.. and better then 7.. but 7 is better then 9..

One thing often AFL fans say down here, is they do not want 9 to get the AFL rights.. they dont rate 9 at all compared to 7 and 10.

Timbo

Staff member
My only problem with 7, as appears to be with most people, is the 'live' coverage.

Yes it starts 'live' then there's delays with breaks. Wallabies tests are classic examples.

I'd be interested to see how Ten shapes up, they are going from strength to strength at the moment.

GongPanther

Referee
I'm not too sure about the SMH's speculation on what is going to happen.

My initial reaction to all of this is that Packer is purely a league man and he sees an oportunity to carve his own niche' in our game regardless of the money that can be made from AFL.

But any information in regards to this that is been printed and talked about is purely guess work in what Packer really has in store.

As they say...watch this space.

BunniesMan

Immortal
yes.. 10 is the best.. and better then 7.. but 7 is better then 9..

One thing often AFL fans say down here, is they do not want 9 to get the AFL rights.. they dont rate 9 at all compared to 7 and 10.

I agree 100%. I'd prefer 10 to 7, and I'd prefer anybody to 9.

As an AFL fan myself, IMO 10 does the best job, 7 isn't as good, but even their sport coverage is better than 9.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I'm not too sure about the SMH's speculation on what is going to happen.

My initial reaction to all of this is that Packer is purely a league man and he sees an oportunity to carve his own niche' in our game regardless of the money that can be made from AFL.

But any information in regards to this that is been printed and talked about is purely guess work in what Packer really has in store.

As they say...watch this space.

Packer is purely a money man. He'll do whatever he thinks will make the most amount of money. I've heard rumours he's going to try to buy nrl AND afl AND cricket because he thinks the most promising part of australian tv is sport, as scripted tv is dying thanks to the growth of internet piracy.

If it's true I'd love for 10 to become the centre of major sports.

docbrown

Coach
Packer is purely a money man. He'll do whatever he thinks will make the most amount of money. I've heard rumours he's going to try to buy nrl AND afl AND cricket because he thinks the most promising part of australian tv is sport, as scripted tv is dying thanks to the growth of internet piracy.

I think that's a pretty accurate perception. The only thing now is whether Ten can afford it. Likely it's going to be bits of the whole (i.e. Sat or Sun AFL only, 20/20 cricket only, Friday or Sunday NRL only)

meltiger

First Grade

Given the increasing growth, reliability of live streams and the increasing awareness of them, would this not also apply to sport in the future as well?

Scripted TV wouldn't be dying if the networks didn't treat us like chumps and show the US/UK based shows as they are. We download our favourite programs due to the availability of them of anything up to 6 months prior to when the networks choose to show them here.

I even remember C10 once promoting Californication as "Streamed direct from the US" which was bullsh*t, it only took 3/4 weeks for them to fall a week behind the US, yet they kept up the BS advertising campaign.

We aren't stupid, don't treat us like we are. Same with live sport, if the network who wins the rights continues to insist on showing the game into Melbourne after midnight on a Friday night, I will either stream live at home or head to a pub with an Imparja set up.

Long gone are the days where many of us will accept the BS we are fed by these networks anymore.

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
Given the increasing growth, reliability of live streams and the increasing awareness of them, would this not also apply to sport in the future as well?

Scripted TV wouldn't be dying if the networks didn't treat us like chumps and show the US/UK based shows as they are. We download our favourite programs due to the availability of them of anything up to 6 months prior to when the networks choose to show them here.

I even remember C10 once promoting Californication as "Streamed direct from the US" which was bullsh*t, it only took 3/4 weeks for them to fall a week behind the US, yet they kept up the BS advertising campaign.

We aren't stupid, don't treat us like we are. Same with live sport, if the network who wins the rights continues to insist on showing the game into Melbourne after midnight on a Friday night, I will either stream live at home or head to a pub with an Imparja set up.

Long gone are the days where many of us will accept the BS we are fed by these networks anymore.

I completely agree with your point about scripted tv. The content itself isn't the problem, there are some great shows out there but the way the networks treat the content and the viewer, no wonder people turn to the net.

As for live australian sport, I don't see the internet taking over to a meaningful degree. At least for the stuff that's on free to air. Sport on pay tv and overseas sport on the other hand, that probably is vulnerable to the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts