What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PB

Bench

Here is a hypothetical for you.

The AFL and NRL are obviously in direct competition.

So just say the AFL in constructing a deal with Ch 7 and Ch10 said we will compromise some cash in this deal and in return you can not broadcast any NRL matches.

That would leave Nine the only FTA bidder for the NRL TV rights. Why then, as the only bidder, would Nine pay the NRL anything more than they currently pay in order to broadcast the NRL?

Therefore the AFL win by collecting more cash and leave their rivals the NRL unable to lift salaries and putting further pressure on its abaility to attract/retain players....

Unlikely obviously, but just a hypothetical thought...

Brutus

Referee

So just say the AFL in constructing a deal with Ch 7 and Ch10 said we will compromise some cash in this deal and in return you can not broadcast any NRL matches.

That would leave Nine the only FTA bidder for the NRL TV rights. Why then, as the only bidder, would Nine pay the NRL anything more than they currently pay in order to broadcast the NRL?

Therefore the AFL win by collecting more cash and leave their rivals the NRL unable to lift salaries and putting further pressure on its abaility to attract/retain players....

I wouldn't put it past the merkins.

El Diablo

Post Whore
The AFL and 7 have done shadier deals the past. NSL anyone?

http://www.smh.com.au/news/football...-football-chief/2005/11/08/1131407636275.html

Seven's court papers also show how a broadcaster's commitment to one sport can work to the detriment of others. In a November 2000 email commenting about its commitment to AFL, when Seven still held the rights, a C7 executive, Steven Wise, said: "There is no credit that we have secured the soccer rights and sufficated [sic] the sport, much to the chagrin of its supporters."

meltiger

First Grade
The AFL article mentions Internet rights. Are ours up for renegotiation at the same time?

Can see fox sports having a crack at that. Could give them the op to have NRL on demand similar to the Premier League. Plus would allow them to send broadcasts down the new xbox foxtel service as well.

We should be all for it because besides the aforementioned additional broadcast streams, hopefully would kill bigponds destruction of club websites.

applesauce

Bench
Hopefully FS would be more lenient of the NRL highlights being on youtube as well... It is an easy and free way to get worldwide exposure that is capped at the moment by Telstra/Bigpond.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Hopefully FS would be more lenient of the NRL highlights being on youtube as well... It is an easy and free way to get worldwide exposure that is capped at the moment by Telstra/Bigpond.

If the NRL had some foresight they'd set up a youtube channel ala the NHL. Youtube is the market leader and the Bigpond video service is ugly, slow and unintuitive.

docbrown

Coach
Doc and El D, you boys seem to be pretty knowledgeable with the TV deal we are about to begin negotiating, what are you honestly expecting $$$$ wise for us this time around?

Well there's a load of variables (which expansion teams, 9th game time slots, internet stream/download rights, media exposure, conflicts of interest, additional rights for 2nd tier comps, splitting up games into distinct packages, season scheduling, forcing News/Fox to pay up, competitive auction et al).

I do believe that with a 9th game we are capable (and better get) at least $850 - $900 million for 5 years. I also think if we show some unified foresight and tenacity, $1050 million is achievable.

Right as we speak, the NRL should be whispering in the network's ears as the AFL negotiations conclude. The question is: are they?

Doc, you wouldnt have the ratings of when monday night games used to be on fta?

No bit before my time, I'm sorry.

Also do you have any projections/figures on the storm on how they rate when on fta in melbourne?

It's such a rare event but they were spiking 200,000+ at one point which is more than triple what the AFL usually pull in Sydney for Swans games. Though it's hard to tell what impact last season will have now if fringe viewers will drop away.

There is an audience for Rugby League in Melbourne. With regular live coverage on say Go! or Gem! they could be drawing 50,000-125,000 for non-Storm games, bigger than the usual digital TV audience. It's also a similar story in Perth. We need that coverage written into the next deal.

Well I wouldn't put it past the AFL to try this. It'd be like the Qantas incident (trying to use their muslce to gain exclusivity).

If it were ever proven - which as we've seen these things almost always leak out in the long run - then I'd think about the ramifications.

Number 1: anti siphoning would be killed. it would be open slather next time
Number 2: the government will react to save face by severing support for the networks implicated and to distance themselves from the AFL
Number 3: Channel 9's CVC will sue the AFL for loss of income
Number 4: News/NRL will have an opportunity to sue 7/10/AFL for loss of income and potentially also the government for structuring an anti-siphoning arrangement that favoured the AFL
Number 5: this will go on for years, millions will be spent

I doubt it would happened though. After Stokes lawsuit with News he knows the financial impact of this and would be smart enough to tell the AFL to get f**ked.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No IC yet and AFL reaching latter stages of their negotiations, we always seem to be behind the 8 ball!

thanks doc

from what i can remember it was fairl popular, would live to see seven pick up monday night footy and go head to head with nine and smash them

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-still-a-year-away-gallop-20110129-1a8uw.html

The delay raises fears that a crucial TV broadcast rights deal could be compromised. However, Gallop said negotiations between networks and the NRL, which is half-owned by News Ltd, had been fast-tracked and could be finalised as early as June.

''[The rights] expire at the end of 2012 but I would have thought by the middle of this year we'll be a long way down the track,'' Gallop said.

''Maximising the dollar is obviously critical but we have to be conscious of how the game is exposed and we want it to be exposed in the best possible way. All indications are that we will do really well and that's exciting for the game.''

So how well? If the NRL's current agreement is $500 million over five years - a 60 per cent increase on the previous deal - and market share has skyrocketed, is the reported $1 billion feasible?

''It's hard to put a number on it but I'm really confident that we'll do really well,'' Gallop said.

''My ideal outcome is pretty simple - it's big dollars and a level of exposure and promotion that the game deserves. I've been talking to the TV networks for over a year now, staying in touch and reminding them of our position and the progression of the commission.

''Years ago there was a view that there was one or two big games every weekend and the rest were pretty much the also-rans, but now our competition is at a point where there are no easy games and every team is a contender.''

Gallop did not rule out the possibility of all games returning to free-to-air TV.

''There's a possibility it could all be on the one network,'' he said.

''Digital television has opened a lot of doors and apparently Channel 10 is starting a rugby league program as well.

''But the good thing is, there are a lot of possibilities.''

supera

Juniors
disgusting... this next tv rights deal is far too important for the old stakeholders to be piss-farting around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts