What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jono1987

Juniors
Personally I think everyone is looking too much into the final amount of dollars between the expected AFL and NRL deals. I don't think it was really ever in doubt that the AFL would secure a higher amount over a number of years than the NRL would pick-up. Anyone who thought otherwise was being very optimistic. I mean the AFL had a what $200 million advantage to start?

Rather than focus so much on the final amount we should be concerned more with which code receives the biggest improvement over their last deal. This is where I believe we will surpass the AFL. How could we not with comparable TV ratings and an undervalued deal? This way we can begin to close the gap between the AFL and us and with consistent TV ratings and an expanded competition, maybe even as early as the following TV deal secure a very similar deal.

Taking a punt;
AFL - 900-950 million over 5 years
NRL - 800-850 million over 5 years

Perth Red

Post Whore
$850 would give us enough to do what we need to do. Add in Internet rights (that basically should cover the cost of two expansion teams on their own) and if we get $850 then we can finally sit back and enjoy watching a well funded IC really drive the game forward at all levels.

Billythekid

First Grade
Personally I think everyone is looking too much into the final amount of dollars between the expected AFL and NRL deals. I don't think it was really ever in doubt that the AFL would secure a higher amount over a number of years than the NRL would pick-up. Anyone who thought otherwise was being very optimistic. I mean the AFL had a what $200 million advantage to start?

Rather than focus so much on the final amount we should be concerned more with which code receives the biggest improvement over their last deal. This is where I believe we will surpass the AFL. How could we not with comparable TV ratings and an undervalued deal? This way we can begin to close the gap between the AFL and us and with consistent TV ratings and an expanded competition, maybe even as early as the following TV deal secure a very similar deal.

Taking a punt;
AFL - 900-950 million over 5 years
NRL - 800-850 million over 5 years

Actually our focus should just be on improving our own deal regardless of what the AFL gets. I don't care if they get their 1 billion (even if i don't think they deserve it thats irrelevant).

I just hope we can get a figure similar to what your suggesting and actually get nation wide coverage. If we can get that than the NRL will be in a great position going forward.

bobmar28

Bench
according to the Tele today channel 10 part-owners James Packer and Lachlan Murdock will enter a bidding war to win the rights from channel nine.

Mark Rudd

Juniors
Actually our focus should just be on improving our own deal regardless of what the AFL gets. I don't care if they get their 1 billion (even if i don't think they deserve it thats irrelevant).

I just hope we can get a figure similar to what your suggesting and actually get nation wide coverage. If we can get that than the NRL will be in a great position going forward.

Exactly. Live NRL around australia should be the goal along with a descent tv deal.

Cutting the Sharks and the Roosters and adding Perth and another QLD team will make our game VERY lucrative.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s-departure-date/story-e6frexnr-1226005045686

The panel will decide on the inaugural commissioners - the independent governing body to take over the game at all levels and make the crucial decisions on expansion and a potential $1 billion TV deal.

The television talks will involve the country's most powerful businessmen, with indications Channel 10 part-owners James Packer and Lachlan Murdoch will be entering a bidding war to win the rights from Channel 9.

that indeed would be excellent

no more 9 :pray:

Edwahu

Bench
The Tele also says 7 cant afford to bid for NRL and are just chasing AFL now. Though that was in Bourbon & Buzz.

beave

Coach
of course that tunnel gutted booze hound would be claiming that, her love of AFL is only surpassed by that of her penchant for rooting her boss.

applesauce

Bench
7 have enough for both if they wanted. Whether or not they will outlay that much to get both is a different story.

We really need the package unbundled so 7 can pick and choose aspects they want, thus forcing the price up. If 7 are out of the race before it begins because of the enormity of the package (on-top of the AFL) then we are a step behind.

Tigger Madness

Juniors
What I would really like to see is Channel 7 having a real go at competing for the 'Foxtel' package of games. Its proven that they rate well and obviously wouldnt cost as much as buying a total package, making it affordable and feasible for them to show both ALF & NRL.

bobmar28

Bench
Not really new news though, they were after the rights months ago.

Perhaps now they are in a better position to actually get the rights???

That would be interesting.

I've seen speculation about what they intend to do. This is the first time I have seen it reported that that's what they intend to do.
Have you seen news reports about this before?

Goddo

Bench
The Tele also says 7 cant afford to bid for NRL and are just chasing AFL now. Though that was in Bourbon & Buzz.

That has been the situation the Newspapers have been hinting at for about 2 months now:

7 can't really afford NRL and AFL, so are just focusing on AFL, but wouldn't mind picking up Origin for its value in guarenteeing 3 weeks winning the ratings battle.

9 aren't really in the race for AFL at this stage, as they will have a fight for NRL, but they would like a slice of it if they could.

10 is struggling with its Saturday commitment to AFL as it has not been a ratings winner nation wide. They are looking towards the NRL as being their flagship sport through winter for One, with a taste of AFL content.

I think 9 will probably win most of the rights to NRL. 10 will really streatch them as far as possible and might just pinch it, but I think they will likely end up with one game a week, especially if the NRL expands. I'd expect around $750m without expansion with the game on 9 but maybe 10, and as much as $820m with expansion (in Perth and Brisbane to maximise potential), with most games on 9 and 1 game on 10, or possibly Origin on 7.

The AFL will probably stay as is on 7 and 10, but the AFL will fall about $100-150m short of their "$1b" mark as there is not really a bidding war for the AFL this time around. This would be realistic, as they were overpriced last time around. Might put a bit of a squeeze on them though with the 2 new teams to prop up. The AFL deal is done from what I have read, and they are stalling it to try and squeeze a few more dollars out of it.

andrew057

First Grade
Something smells about the elephant's sudden urge to leave the room

Roy Masters

February 15, 2011

At a meeting tomorrow to discuss the orderly transfer of power to a new independent commission, members of the almost lifeless ARL will now sit stunned and perplexed by News Ltd's unilateral announcement it will exit rugby league on April 30. No one can make sense of the date.

Willie Nelson's birthday? The American songwriter's On the Road Again has some resonance, given the multiplicity of dates announced these past two years nominating when an independent commission would begin its rule of the game.

April 30 is also the anniversary of the fall/liberation of Saigon, which depends on whose side you are on, an apt analogy for those who liken News Ltd's 1995 raid on rugby league to the Americans bombing Vietnam.

That analogy fails because the US were the losers in 1975, and News Ltd are the clear winners of the Super League war. It was fought over Kerry Packer's first-and-last pay-TV rights, and Rupert Murdoch now has them until 2027.

The ARL initially gave Murdoch the rights for 25 years as part of the 1997 peace settlement but recently extended them for a further five years in exchange for News Ltd's early exit. ARL negotiators believe it is a reasonable concession, given News Ltd was owed $14.5 million in deferred payments from the early days of the ARL-News Ltd Partnership and is giving up its $8m annual dividend by leaving a few years before its scheduled 2018 departure.

Typically, the 16 NRL clubs, desperate for the extra $500,000 each could potentially receive from News's dividend, greedily agree.

This is an example of the short-sighted, small-picture thinking that has plagued rugby league. First-and-last broadcasting rights are a powerful weapon, particularly if they are all-encompassing, extending past free-to-air and pay-TV to online and mobile telephony.

The AFL broke out the champagne when its $20m first-and-last deal with Channel Seven expired. It was forced to sign with Seven when Kerry Stokes equalled Kerry Packer's $780m offer in 2005, although some AFL executives would have preferred to be with Nine.

Rugby league's first-and-last rights are, in effect, ''lift up your skirts'' clauses, allowing the holder the opportunity of looking at the full detail of the rival bidder's proposal.

While this is important in the bidding for the forthcoming round of rugby league rights, it will be even more critical in the round beginning 2018. As one IT expert said in a text to the Herald: ''The code is sitting on a diamond, gold, silver and platinum mine with the NBN IP [internet protocol] going to 11m homes and Telstra getting an $11b windfall. Plus 15 digital channels.''

So Telstra knows if it bids for all league rights, on-selling two games to free-to-air TV to satisfy anti-siphoning requirements, it must lift up its skirt to News Ltd, showing its rival its secret strategies.

Telstra and News Ltd are in an already fractious partnership in Foxtel, where Telstra holds 50 per cent and News Ltd 25 per cent, although Murdoch holds management rights to Foxtel.

Telstra's T-Box threatens the future of pay-TV, meaning first-and-last broadcasting rights to the most popular product on Foxtel are a lethal weapon in the power sharing that will come out of inevitable discussions between the nation's biggest telco and Murdoch.

Foxtel is in discussions with the second-most popular product on pay-TV - AFL, whose rights expire a year before rugby league's.

Foxtel is seeking to pay less for better-quality games. It pays $55m for the AFL's four worst games a week, while rugby league receives $45m for five games, including the third- and fourth-best games.

News Ltd spins the line rugby league receives more than AFL if a $15m payment from Sky New Zealand is included. Why should it be? In the apples-with-apples analogy so beloved of media executives, this is an apples with kiwifruit comparison. There is no AFL team in New Zealand. It's a separate market.

The AFL broadcasting deal is expected to be concluded in the next 2½ months. The spin from the broadcasters is the AFL will receive less than the $1 billion it seeks, principally because it won't get extra Foxtel money.
If the AFL has to lower its expectations, the signals are the NRL must do likewise when it negotiates for Murdoch-controlled money. And when is this likely? Around April 30, the date News Ltd newspapers announced it will exit, removed from any accusations of conflict of interest.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...en-urge-to-leave-the-room-20110214-1atp5.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts