What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

applesauce

Bench
I remember the article claiming the QRL negotiated out first and last rights completely or at least down (from 2027 to 2015) but I can find it in the Independent Commission thread.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Since when does Sky NZ pay $15 mil per year? I thought it was $10-12m

So what's the answer? Roy would be whinging if News were still there, and now he is whinging that they are going?

Goddo

Bench
He is whinging about the duplicity of News Ltd trumpeting the ARL commission in their papers (making mileage out of the story) and yet manipulating the broadcast media to ensure its rivals don't get a look in for sport broadcast rights and minimising the payout to AFL and NRL.

Murdoch is a slipery slimey evil charicter.

BuffaloRules

Coach
How do the rivals not get a look in?

The issue is about them having the last rights clause....

As we discovered the last time with the AFL, Channel 7 having the last rights seemed to help them get their big deal.

Something smells about the elephant's sudden urge to leave the room

Roy Masters February 15, 2011
http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/le...en-urge-to-leave-the-room-20110214-1atp5.html

At a meeting tomorrow to discuss the orderly transfer of power to a new independent commission, members of the almost lifeless ARL will now sit stunned and perplexed by News Ltd's unilateral announcement it will exit rugby league on April 30. No one can make sense of the date.

Willie Nelson's birthday? The American songwriter's On the Road Again has some resonance, given the multiplicity of dates announced these past two years nominating when an independent commission would begin its rule of the game.

April 30 is also the anniversary of the fall/liberation of Saigon, which depends on whose side you are on, an apt analogy for those who liken News Ltd's 1995 raid on rugby league to the Americans bombing Vietnam.

That analogy fails because the US were the losers in 1975, and News Ltd are the clear winners of the Super League war. It was fought over Kerry Packer's first-and-last pay-TV rights, and Rupert Murdoch now has them until 2027.

The ARL initially gave Murdoch the rights for 25 years as part of the 1997 peace settlement but recently extended them for a further five years in exchange for News Ltd's early exit. ARL negotiators believe it is a reasonable concession, given News Ltd was owed $14.5 million in deferred payments from the early days of the ARL-News Ltd Partnership and is giving up its $8m annual dividend by leaving a few years before its scheduled 2018 departure.

Typically, the 16 NRL clubs, desperate for the extra $500,000 each could potentially receive from News's dividend, greedily agree.

This is an example of the short-sighted, small-picture thinking that has plagued rugby league. First-and-last broadcasting rights are a powerful weapon, particularly if they are all-encompassing, extending past free-to-air and pay-TV to online and mobile telephony.

The AFL broke out the champagne when its $20m first-and-last deal with Channel Seven expired. It was forced to sign with Seven when Kerry Stokes equalled Kerry Packer's $780m offer in 2005, although some AFL executives would have preferred to be with Nine.

Rugby league's first-and-last rights are, in effect, ''lift up your skirts'' clauses, allowing the holder the opportunity of looking at the full detail of the rival bidder's proposal.

While this is important in the bidding for the forthcoming round of rugby league rights, it will be even more critical in the round beginning 2018. As one IT expert said in a text to the Herald: ''The code is sitting on a diamond, gold, silver and platinum mine with the NBN IP [internet protocol] going to 11m homes and Telstra getting an $11b windfall. Plus 15 digital channels.''

So Telstra knows if it bids for all league rights, on-selling two games to free-to-air TV to satisfy anti-siphoning requirements, it must lift up its skirt to News Ltd, showing its rival its secret strategies.

Telstra and News Ltd are in an already fractious partnership in Foxtel, where Telstra holds 50 per cent and News Ltd 25 per cent, although Murdoch holds management rights to Foxtel.

Telstra's T-Box threatens the future of pay-TV, meaning first-and-last broadcasting rights to the most popular product on Foxtel are a lethal weapon in the power sharing that will come out of inevitable discussions between the nation's biggest telco and Murdoch.

Foxtel is in discussions with the second-most popular product on pay-TV - AFL, whose rights expire a year before rugby league's.

Foxtel is seeking to pay less for better-quality games. It pays $55m for the AFL's four worst games a week, while rugby league receives $45m for five games, including the third- and fourth-best games.

News Ltd spins the line rugby league receives more than AFL if a $15m payment from Sky New Zealand is included. Why should it be? In the apples-with-apples analogy so beloved of media executives, this is an apples with kiwifruit comparison. There is no AFL team in New Zealand. It's a separate market.

The AFL broadcasting deal is expected to be concluded in the next 2½ months. The spin from the broadcasters is the AFL will receive less than the $1 billion it seeks, principally because it won't get extra Foxtel money.

If the AFL has to lower its expectations, the signals are the NRL must do likewise when it negotiates for Murdoch-controlled money. And when is this likely? Around April 30, the date News Ltd newspapers announced it will exit, removed from any accusations of conflict of interest.

Moffo

Referee
News, like a lot of companies, are not finding it as easy to make a dollar these days. Doesn't surprise me that they are looking to shave costs. Has a lot more to do with cost cutting then rl

Nothing story IMO

Perth Red

Post Whore
can anyone explain does the NRL have to accept the last rights bid if it is a higher amount of $'s? If not then what's the problem with it? Surely we want the richest to have last rights so they can pay more don't we?

Ray Mosters

Juniors
I was talking to my brother-in-law at Channel 9 Melbourne again last night, and he dropped a couple of tidbits

- He said the due diligence, research and pricing of bids for AFL and NRL has only just started properly in the last 4 weeks, as they were all waiting on Conroy. AFL and NRL research is going on simultaneously at all networks, and is weeks away from being complete and serious bids from being entered.
- Channel 9 are gearing up to pounce on the AFL rights, if 7 and 10 slip up and undervalue their bid, or they can beat them on better telecast details. They believe they can satisfy all the AFLs requirements by putting the games on GO in NSW and QLD and continue to show league on their main channel.
- He reiterated again that OneHD and Ten were going to make a massive play for League FTA as a standalone bid, that they are pushing very hard for it not to be unbundled, and that 9 were not going to let them take it. He said that all three channels were preparing bids for Friday and Sunday league, and 7 would definitely be involved, they were more keen on AFL, but believe they can do both.
- Channel 7, in trying to land league, are going to try to insist on Better Homes and Gardens going before it and FNF going onto delay. I asked him about the second game going until 12:30 and he said he didnt know anything about that. I told him that would make it really unlikely that 7 could mount a competitive bid for league.
- Multichanneling might come into play with BH+G, they are thinking about showing it on SevenTwo in Victoria, WA and SA, and live AFL at 7:30 in that slot on the main channel, and continue with the main channel BH+G in Sydney and Brisbane. They do not want to do this, but may be forced too by Nine, who are making Live FNF a key part of their bid for Friday and Sunday AFL. I asked whether the same setup might work for league, playing BH+G on SevenTwo in NSW and QLD and playing FNF on the main channel, and he said he didnt see why not.
- He said that Channel 9 Melbourne were still going hard for Monday Night AFL and were confident they would get it. He said they would only show it live in Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide.

Once again, the caveat, my brother is NOT an executive or a producer and has no inside information, all he hears is the scuttlebutt around the building.

Its funny when I think about it, but I actually spent over an hour last night talking about Better Homes and Gardens.

applesauce

Bench
I wonder if One could get in bed with Nine for the NRL (eg 7, 10, Foxtel).

Nine - FNF, leaving them Sunday AFL
One - Sunday RL (w possible Saturday night game as well)

smithie

Juniors
The rights should go to OneHD(Ten), GEM(Nine) & Fox Sports(Foxtel).

OneHD - Sat 6:30pm, Sun 2pm & 4pm.
GEM - Fri 7:30pm & 9:30pm.
Fox Sports - Sat 5:30pm & 7:30pm, Sun 6:30pm, Mon 7:00pm.

applesauce

Bench
The rights should go to OneHD(Ten), GEM(Nine) & Fox Sports(Foxtel).

OneHD - Sat 6:30pm, Sun 2pm & 4pm.
GEM - Fri 7:30pm & 9:30pm.
Fox Sports - Sat 5:30pm & 7:30pm, Sun 6:30pm, Mon 7:00pm.

I agree except I would have a 4:30pm Saturday game on Fox, the ONEHD game simulcast on Fox (AFL style) and the next Fox game starting at 8:30pm. Only because I can't see Fox being happy or realistically losing SuperSaturdays.

BDGS

Bench
Also, no overlapping of games on TV.

That sucks when you dont have the ability to watch all of every game.

smithie

Juniors
The problem is over 75% of the population don't have pay TV and that number is only getting bigger. With the introduction of the new FTA digital channels, Foxtel & Austar are losing customers. The cost of pay tv is just too much for the average person.

The NRL have given the AFL a free kick on Saturday nights for too long. If the NRL are serious about taking the fight to the AFL, then a Saturday night FTA game is a must.

BuffaloRules

Coach
He said that Channel 9 Melbourne were still going hard for Monday Night AFL and were confident they would get it. He said they would only show it live in Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide.

What are the prospects of one of the FTA networks getting Monday night RL?

This might be an in for Channel 7....

The problem is over 75% of the population don't have pay TV and that number is only getting bigger. With the introduction of the new FTA digital channels, Foxtel & Austar are losing customers. The cost of pay tv is just too much for the average person.

The NRL have given the AFL a free kick on Saturday nights for too long. If the NRL are serious about taking the fight to the AFL, then a Saturday night FTA game is a must.

Agree with you 100%, Pay TV is too expensive in this country. The take up rate will never increase unless they are able to get exclusive rights to major sport(all the NRL, AFL and cricket), not likley to happen any time soon in Australia under either political party. Exclusive rights to all major sport has drive pay tv take up rates in most countries to much higher levels than they are here.

If I was running a pay tv company I would hope the NBN gets built, I would give every one a box and offer individual channels or cheaper packages. You could get pay tv up to about 80 -90% of homes.

I think the new contract should see the following games of FTA, all live to every state in Australia:

2 Friday,
1 Sunday
1 Monday Night Football ( would be great to be on FTA, most people are home on a Monday night).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts