What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

adamkungl

Immortal
I think a short break between conversions and kickoffs wouldn't be so bad. I could live with that for some extra cash, although I'd rather not.

A quarter time drinks break would be sh*t. It works in american football because each play is an individual set up already, there's no real break in momentum because it's already broken. And AFL is a spastic abortion of a sport, so forget them.

Let's think about the consequences of this to Rugby League. Your team makes a line break at 19:45 and gets tackled 10m out. The opposition team scrambles back just in time to stop an attacking raid down one side, but they are absolutely buggered and short on numbers down the other side, and your team has 3 tackles up their sleeve. Scoring is almost certain....then the buzzer calls quarter time. 2 minutes later you're in the same position, but the defense is refreshed, set and ready to go. No try.

No thanks. Massive momentum killer.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Don't work it like that. work it how they currently do when it's the start of the season and games are played in extreme heat

applesauce

Bench
Have it like in how stoppage time in soccer works. The ref can't call time out till the ball is in a neutral part of the ground with no attacking play.

Perth Red

Post Whore
yep that's the way to do it, stoppage happens after a break down in play on or after the 20min mark. Reduce interchanges to compensate for the extra break.

El Diablo

Post Whore
so in your scenario the break would happen after the set completed which would likely be a goal line dropout, 20 metre restart or a kickoff if a try was scored

The old Panasonic cup was 4 quarter footy
Ah memories mate...Loved that comp..The unpredicability of it,the unknown quality of teams.
Can remember sitting in front of the heater on a freezing Wed night watching,& really enjoyed the 20 min quarters.
Still remember Mum yelling go to bed ,you've got school tomorrow.
I dont have a problem with four x twenty mins,& i dont have a prob with a two min break after a try.

RL1908

Bench
yep that's the way to do it, stoppage happens after a break down in play on or after the 20min mark. Reduce interchanges to compensate for the extra break.

I'd vote for that.

Not sure how long to make the break though.

If it's 2 minutes (or more) of adds, every chance half the audience won't stay to see the adds anyway (having taken the opportunity for a pit stop).

hutch

First Grade
So if games are played in quarters, or time is stopped after a try, or any other scenarios for tv, does it only occur in the Nrl? What about test matches, super league, nsw cup, even juniors etc? The NRL is already starting to separate itself from the rest of the rugby league world, i wouldn't want it to become s different sport altogether!

Brutus

Referee
Ah memories mate...Loved that comp..The unpredicability of it,the unknown quality of teams.
Can remember sitting in front of the heater on a freezing Wed night watching,& really enjoyed the 20 min quarters.
Still remember Mum yelling go to bed ,you've got school tomorrow.
I dont have a problem with four x twenty mins,& i dont have a prob with a two min break after a try.

Mum used to say the same thing to me lol

It was Panasonic Cup & origin games in the winter and day-night cricket games in the Summer - mum would say "Tomorrow is a school day - get to bed NOW!!"

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Mum used to say the same thing to me lol

It was Panasonic Cup & origin games in the winter and day-night cricket games in the Summer - mum would say "Tomorrow is a school day - get to bed NOW!!"

And dad would turn around and say, leave him alone :lol:

docbrown

Coach
I like the break down in play/stoppage idea.

I guess the other issue though is the overall run time. The law has maximum advertising allotments per hour on F2A that are around the 15-20 minute mark depending on the programming type. Currently for a 2 hour block Rugby League has around 35 minutes for a live game and 40 minutes for a delayed game.

If we do go to a scenario of 2 double headers with a 1:30pm - 6:00pm block, then on a Sunday you could potentially see about 90 minutes of advertising and on Fridays with 7:30-11:30pm block you'd see about 75 minutes of advertising - so about 165 minutes (compared to the AFL equivalent of around 180minutes - so not purely the 3:2 ratio people think it is).

However there is still one more trick the NRL can do - it can show both games on a Friday live at 7:30pm - one on the Main and one on the Digital and have the advertisers buy their allotments over both channels. Although the digital channels have a 2%-4% average market share - with live NRL and an effective viewers choice of games - you'd see this increase to a 10-15% share for the digital game, with the main still pulling 15-25%. For that one network that's probably going to average out to a 30 to 35% total share, winning them the night and increasing overall primetime viewers.

The other thing to note is that Channel 10 are the only network capable of having a 7:00pm coverage start, with say a 7:15 kickoff and 2nd game end around 11:15pm with a 15 minute wrap up. This would also increase viewers - though the earlier kickoff needs to be considered in terms of crowd effects.

Ray Mosters

Juniors
I have suggested something similar on these boards several times over the years.

It's the only way anything close to parity will be achieved

Quidgybo

Bench
How is that?
At the first convenient break in play (scrum, drop out, 20 metre tap, kickoff) after the 19 minute mark the ref calls time off for a drinks break. After two minutes, play resumes at the same point on the field with the same team in possession. The game does not automatically reset with a kickoff and the exact timing is at the descretion of the ref, not the clock, allowing the break to be sympathetic to what is happening in the game.

This is more or less exactly what we already do for matches where the temperature is over a certain figure - ie. Mainly daytime and Queensland based matches in the first few rounds of the premiership. Watching on TV it's easy to miss because of course they go to ads during the breaks but you'd notice the break at the grounds. The suggestion here is that we could extend that to all games if television is willing to pay enough for it.

Watch the Broncos vs Cowboys match this Friday and listen for the ref to call time off around the middle of each half and say "right boys, let's have a drink" immediately prior to Nein going to an ad break. Same for the Sunday afternoon matches.

Leigh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.