What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobmar28

Bench
If fox lose the rights to the NRL, I cancel my subscription and at a guess, I'd say 90% of people in QLD and NSW would do the same.

The thing is, if there is an alternate to pay TV (shared games between 2 of the FTA networks) and they pay similar, Foxsports will have to start showing us the money because what advantage does the NRL in letting fox have the rights without the compensation of $$$$ in return??

over half of the countrys population live in QLD and NSW, does anyone really think that they can afford to run the gauntlet and lose their rights to the NRL??? The thing is, we will need an alternate to them, hopefully ONE HD come on board.

Surely ONE HD can afford to bid against Fox. 90% of Australians have digital TV and are able to view ONE HD while only 25% have Fox Sports.

Quidgybo

Bench
If Fox dont offer enough money ( ie less than what they pay for the AFL), then the IC has to really play some hard ball with them...

I would suggest that they say that they are giving the games away to the ABC in the short term, and start up a campaign in the Northern States encouraging people to cancel their Foxtel subscriptions...

If this starting happening in large numbers, then I've got a feeling that Foxtel would come around quickly enough...
And if they haven't conceded by the time our money runs out, what do we do when our players don't get their June pay cheques? Fox accounts for more than half our Salary Cap. Without cutting other major expenses (promotion, junior development, cancelling games etc), we last about 12 weeks into the season before we start having trouble paying the players.

Leigh.

BuffaloRules

Coach
And if they haven't conceded by the time our money runs out, what do we do when our players don't get their June pay cheques? Fox accounts for more than half our Salary Cap. Without cutting other major expenses (promotion, junior development, cancelling games etc), we last about 12 weeks into the season before we start having trouble paying the players.

Leigh.

I dont know the answer, but I think if the IC has some balls and stands up to Foxtel, then the threat may be enough for Foxtel to cave in...

As I have mentioned before, they just need to point to the ratings as justicfication of getting paid more money than the AFL.

They might need a better solution then giving the games away for nothing obviously, so in the unlikely event that their bluff is called that they will get something...

I really think though that Foxtel will be screwed without the NRL...

BuffaloRules

Coach
I guess the difference is the NRL Tv ratings have held up and grown substantially and dominated for that media outlet.The AFL ones have grown but nowhere near expectations.
That is the reality check Fox has to deal with.
1) acknowledge the fact that NRL will not be duckshoved this time in teh bigger Nrthn markets.
2) there may be an extra NRL timelsot available with expansion.
3) This time all FTA Tv stations will wanta shot at rugb league,and there is no Kerry packer lurking with his fat wallet in the wings.

Yes I agree with you.

My statement as to what will be different this time around is in relation to expectations that the AFL rights will drive higher subscriptions in the Southern states, which has clearly not happened over the course of the current TV deal..

the whole OneHD/Fox Sports bidding situation is murky now because of Packer and Murdoch's involvement

I don't think we'll see a bidding war between the two

bobmar28

Bench
Yes. I'm waiting to hear back from someone to get some solid details.

Story goes that Gallop & Murdoch met up the other day and one of the items discussed was how FTA could simulcast live coverage along with Fox sports.

You'd be amazed how many of those Northern subscriptions would vanish if they lost the NRL coverage. Not to mention that Foxtel is in the process of purchasing Austar whose penetration is primarily in the NSW & QLD. Almost half those NRL foxtel ratings are from those areas.

But it all seems moot at the moment. I'm waiting to hear more about this 10/Fox simulcast talk. Seems like it will benefit both sides, just not sure where the coin is coming from.

I would love that. I am one of the 75% without pay TV. It would be fantastic to be able to watch the Saturday and Monday games on One HD.

Last edited:

Flapper

First Grade
Are Fetch TV in any position to try and bid against Fox for games to try and penetrate markets other than WA? They do have the backing of an absolute squillionaire with more money than sense after all.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...e-for-afl-rights/story-e6frg996-1226032919348

Tough final quarter in the battle for AFL rights

James Chessell
April 04, 2011 12:00AM

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou was in a typically expansive mood a couple of weeks ago at Melbourne's Regent Theatre to launch the 2011 season.

"Never before has our agenda been so comprehensive. Never before has it been so bold. Never before has it been so important to the future of the game," he told the gathering, referring to a few weighty issues facing the code such as a new broadcast rights deal, a new collective bargaining agreement with the players and new teams in the Gold Coast and western Sydney.

But many guests were left scratching their heads when the room was shown a cartoon comedy modelled on the Australian Idol television program. The show starred AFL players and officials.

The central characters were Demetriou and his right-hand man, chief operating officer Gillon McLachlan. They leant their voices to the production, which went down like a lead balloon.

"Many thought it was tacky and self-indulgent," an official said. A senior free-to-air television executive said: "I have no idea why they thought that was a good idea."

In the grand scheme of Demetriou's agenda, the cartoon is insignificant, but it does point to frustrations about how the high-powered AFL sub-committee of Demetriou, McLachlan, chairman Mike Fitzpatrick and commissioner Chris Lynch is handling the negotiations for the 2012-16 broadcast rights.

Those expressing concern include people within the AFL who are worried too much power is in the hands of the committee. Meanwhile, free-to-air media executives mutter about "AFL arrogance" and describe the process as overly complicated. They grumble that the AFL is all over the place when it comes to folding the digital rights into the mix.

Seven executive chairman Kerry Stokes -- who still regards his dealings with the AFL over the development of the Docklands Stadium in the late 1990s as painful -- had a wry smile on his face when he said last week: "Never underestimate Andrew Demetriou and never underestimate the AFL's greed."

It's a view shared by his rivals in the free-to-air industry, who believe they are being asked to subsidise the AFL's expansion plans.

Of course, posturing and sledging are part of any set of broadcast rights negotiations. Even Demetriou's critics admit he has every right be hard-nosed. His job, after all, is to maximise the amount of money he can squeeze out of the networks. This is likely to be Demetriou's last rights deal and will help shape his legacy at the AFL.

The AFL may have wanted to complete negotiations before the season started but delays will be forgotten if it gets a big amount.

Demetriou's task was made easier for the previous five-year deal when Seven and Ten were forced to match an eleventh-hour, $780 million bid lobbed by the late Kerry Packer in December 2005.

This time, there may be frustration and delays partly due to regulatory uncertainty but as Citigroup's Justin Diddams noted, the setting of a price is "shaping up to be a rather orderly affair".

All this raises three main questions. Can the Nine Network steal the rights away from the incumbents, Seven and Ten? How many live games will Foxtel be able to broadcast? And will the sometimes-confusing treatment of online rights affect Demetriou's ability to get the $1 billion price he boldly predicted back in 2008?

The answer to the first question is simple. Nine's chances of beating Seven and Ten are slim. Nine chief executive Jeff Browne knows more about the process than most, having worked as the AFL's lawyer. He has played a smart game and last week emphasised his network's close relationship with Foxtel.

He hopes to offset his costs -- and boost the overall price -- by allowing Foxtel to simulcast live all four matches a round held by the free-to-air rights holder.

Simulcast rights for regular season and finals games are not part of the current deal and Foxtel believes it can attract new subscribers by showing every game (with the likely exception of the grand final).

The flipside of sharing games with Foxtel, of course, is that viewers could drift from free-to-air coverage to avoid ads and (in the case of Seven and Ten) delayed coverage for some games.

Browne's plan, in theory, could allow Nine to pay close to the same as what Seven and Ten now pay (about $90m a year) but increase the amount Foxtel would be willing to pay from $63m a year to closer to $100m.

This would give Demetriou a figure closer to the $200m he wants a year. Foxtel may be willing to pay more, given the new teams will create an extra game from next year, but matches featuring the Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney will have less value. For all of Nine's flexibility with the structure of the bid, it is willing to pay less than Seven and Ten.

Nine already hold the rights to the 2012 NRL season -- the last year in its current deal with rugby league -- and the London Olympics. It is inconceivable a pugnacious television executive such as Seven boss David Leckie would let Nine secure the other major sporting competition for next year. Indeed, much of Nine's strategy is based on ensuring that Seven and Ten pay a sufficiently large sum that they cannot pay a decent price for the NRL.

If Seven and Ten win as expected, what happens to Foxtel (which is 25 per cent owned by News Ltd, publisher of The Australian)? While Leckie is a traditionalist who does not like sharing games with Foxtel, some observers say he is open to Foxtel simulcasting two games a round (excluding Friday night games) and some finals matches.

This means Seven and Ten will be willing to pay more but Foxtel will be keen to pay less.

Not that the free-to-air networks are going to pay over the odds. Diddams points out that Seven and Ten don't make money from the AFL directly and total audience is falling slightly as audiences fragment.

Yet the rights to a sport that still commands a mass audience provides a "halo" affect that is worth more than returns from advertisers. Seven's total viewer numbers were about 25 per cent lower in 2002-06 when it didn't have the AFL rights, according to Goldman Sachs.

The final question about online rights is a related issue. The free-to-air networks are all about securing an "exclusive window" to show matches. Any loss of exclusivity through simulcasts on pay-TV or Telstra's BigPond (the current digital rights holder) means they will pay less.

At this stage they have shown little interest in harmonising online rights with their bids, although they complain the AFL has not been clear on this issue.

It is an understandable short-term view -- there is little ad revenue to be made from those rights -- but digital rights will become more valuable as online broadcasting becomes widespread.

It remains to be seen, however, whether the AFL can get Telstra to stump up more than the $10-$15m a year it now pays for the digital rights, by allowing it to simulcast a game, for example, without reducing contributions from the free-to-air networks.

The new teams, which will result in 8 per cent more games next year, and inflation mean the AFL will get more than $780m but probably less than $1bn from the broadcasters.

Getting a genuine $1bn bid -- one that doesn't include large contra deals -- when you include the digital rights will depend on coming up with a clever structure that makes everyone relatively happy. This scenario seems a little way off, even at this late juncture.

BunniesMan

Immortal
No surprises there. It's been known for a while that 9 is aiming to push up the price for AFL that 7/10 has to pay so 9 has less competition for NRL and that way they get a bargain.

taipan

Referee
If ch9 gets rugby league at a bargain basement price with the I.C in place,then we have real problems.
That media mob couldn't promte a pussy ,in a cat show.

BuffaloRules

Coach
No surprises there. It's been known for a while that 9 is aiming to push up the price for AFL that 7/10 has to pay so 9 has less competition for NRL and that way they get a bargain.

Yes, its no surprises, so you hope that the NRL has a plan to counter this...

If 9 gets too cute they might end up with nothing...

Also, who is to say that Channel 7 is not going to force up the price for the NRL so that 9 doesnt get it too cheap?

BunniesMan

Immortal
I think our best bet for a significant increase is MNF. I heard Ten is considering going for it, 10/Fox in a bidding war for what is a great timeslot ratings wise should mean big bucks.

That's IF 10 has money left in the budget after they finish bidding against nine for AFL.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Yes, its no surprises, so you hope that the NRL has a plan to counter this...

If 9 gets too cute they might end up with nothing...

Also, who is to say that Channel 7 is not going to force up the price for the NRL so that 9 doesnt get it too cheap?
Well if 7 spends all their money on AFL they can't bid for NRL just to get the price up because they might actually win it. Then they'd be way over budget with more sport than they'd know what to do with.

It's so complicated, there's 2 rival sports dealing with 3 free tv networks as well as pay tv. Everyone has their own agendas, bluffing and counter bluffing all over the place. It will be very interesting to see how it plays out.

Ziggy the God

First Grade

This.

Nine cannot be left with neither AFL or NRL, so Seven will no doubt put in a very competitive bid to force them to pay up.

If the NRL is smart, and goes through with selling the game in seperate parts (Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon/Rep), then they can entice Ten to also push up the price of individual packages.

In any case, TEN reports on Thursday, so keep an eye out on any comments they may make to the street regarding progress on their AFL bid.

My hope is 10 &7 let 9 put in a bid & dont match it..
Leave 9 with fumbles & they can both share RL

yer but then wouldn't 10 & 7 just grab our rights cheaply... can't see 7 losing fumbleball anyway

I'm hoping 7 pull a Packer on us and really screw 9 over.. they've definitely got the money to ruin 9's first bid on us, forcing them to match it or be left with no winter sport

BuffaloRules

Coach
If 9 doesnt get the AFL, then they are going to be desperate for the NRL to have something to show, and Channel 7 will know this...

They wont let them off the hook by allowing them to get it for a bargain basement price...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts