What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BunniesMan

Immortal
If 9 doesnt get the AFL, then they are going to be desperate for the NRL to have something to show, and Channel 7 will know this...

They wont let them off the hook by allowing them to get it for a bargain basement price...
They did pretty much that last time even with Kerry f**king them over on his deathbed.

BuffaloRules

Coach
When the last RL deal was done in 2005, Channel 9 put an offer on the table and told the NRL that they had a week to agree it or they would withdraw it...

The other channels were never given a chance to bid as Gallop had a panic attack and agreed to it...

Tigger Madness

Juniors
With Channel 10 and Fox Sports basically being controlled by the same group, you can forget about any kind of bidder war between them.

m0nty

Juniors
Can we expect a combined bid if they're controlled by the same group?

I don't think so. Packer and Murdoch bought into Ten specifically to sabotage Ten's incursions into the territory of Sky News with their evening news block and Fox Sports with ONE. Now that they have been successful at that, with the ACCC being p1ssweak pantywaists in not lifting a finger about it, they will continue to concentrate all of the power in Fox Sports.

The equations are simple. Packer and Murdoch control 100% of Fox Sports, as Premier Media is a 50/50 JV. Packer and Murdoch own 18% of Ten. Their investment in Ten was only ever about bolstering Premier Media's hold over sports broadcast rights assets.

The Packer/Murdoch agenda is to undermine FTA and build up the dominant pay TV monopoly to be the sole provider of live broadcasts of the primary sports codes in the country, similar to how Sky has the EPL locked away. I'd expect that after the rights deals are done, they'll walk away from the dried husk of Ten with the job done and a nine figure profit out of the deal. Their end game is probably to put the entirety of the NRL on Fox save maybe for FNF, and probably leave only two games of AFL on FTA.

The AFL and NRL aren't that stupid, they know it's coming. And like the A-League, they may take the money and tell the public to pay up, either by buying pay TV or attending games. It works in Britain, more or less. It may not work here, but that's the scenario Murdoch and Packer are working towards.

Tigger Madness

Juniors
I don't think so. Packer and Murdoch bought into Ten specifically to sabotage Ten's incursions into the territory of Sky News with their evening news block and Fox Sports with ONE. Now that they have been successful at that, with the ACCC being p1ssweak pantywaists in not lifting a finger about it, they will continue to concentrate all of the power in Fox Sports.

The equations are simple. Packer and Murdoch control 100% of Fox Sports, as Premier Media is a 50/50 JV. Packer and Murdoch own 18% of Ten. Their investment in Ten was only ever about bolstering Premier Media's hold over sports broadcast rights assets.

The Packer/Murdoch agenda is to undermine FTA and build up the dominant pay TV monopoly to be the sole provider of live broadcasts of the primary sports codes in the country, similar to how Sky has the EPL locked away. I'd expect that after the rights deals are done, they'll walk away from the dried husk of Ten with the job done and a nine figure profit out of the deal. Their end game is probably to put the entirety of the NRL on Fox save maybe for FNF, and probably leave only two games of AFL on FTA.

The AFL and NRL aren't that stupid, they know it's coming. And like the A-League, they may take the money and tell the public to pay up, either by buying pay TV or attending games. It works in Britain, more or less. It may not work here, but that's the scenario Murdoch and Packer are working towards.

Fantastic post.

Everybody, this is exactly what is about to transpire with the recent part-acquisition of Ten by Packer & Murdoch. We've all heard the rumblings about OneHD being killed off, why would the owners of the largest and most profitable sports broadcasting organisation want any competition from a FTA provider?

Ten is all but dead in the water as a potential rights bidder for the NRL. With Seven all but guaranteed the rights to AFL (along with Ten who are contractually bound to bid together), the last man standing will be Nine.

The best we can hope for is Nine to stump up a respectable figure for their current allocation with Seven & Fox bidding for the others.

bobmar28

Bench
As I said in another thread it looks like AFL will get 900 million for the rights. According to the AGE 7/10 will pay less than they did last time (400m) and Fox will pay 500 mill and finish up with more games simulcast.

They will add 50m contra plus internet rights to claim the magic billion.

imasharkie

Coach

My hope is that Fox get the rights and we get 8 live games a weekend.
Sunday footy proves how bad it is to watch the footy game on Nine after watching the live game on Fox.
Nine = boring footy
Live footy gets my vote/ Fox gets my vote.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Sunday footy proves how bad it is to watch the footy game on Nine after watching the live game on Fox.
Nine = boring footy
Idiot. A sharks fan has a stupid opinion. Who would have seen that coming?

Do you not see what is wrong with giving 1 (boring) game to 80% of the population and giving the vast majority of games and all the good games to 20% of the population?

Nooone would benefit except for Fox. It would hurt the game, it would hurt most fans.

Last edited:

gallagher

Juniors
Idiot. A sharks fan has a stupid opinion. Who would have seen that coming?

Do you not see what is wrong with giving 1 (boring) game to 80% of the population and giving the vast majority of games and all the good games to 20% of the population?

Nooone would benefit except for Fox. It would hurt the game, it would hurt most fans.
How can you claim 80% of the pop when ch 9 only show the games in 2 states?

undertaker

Coach
Nine = boring footy

Well, in fairness to your point, I have noticed watching on tv, the atmosphere for games on Fox seems to be better than the games on Ch9. I don't know why, whether or not it's because the Ch9 crowd microphones aren't turned up as much as the Fox ones. Like, the Manly/Newcastle match last week, for large sections of that game, if you were blind and heard the tv audio/commentary you could've easily been mistaken for believing the game was played only infront of 50 people in a park

Has anyone else noticed this?

Last edited:

DINGb@T

Juniors
So what happened with the anti-siphoning laws? With all the reviews etc they were doing I lost track of just how many games were forced to be shown on free-to-air etc. What is the highest number of games Foxtel would be likely to get in the nightmare scenario?

Tigger Madness

Juniors
http://www.smh.com.au/business/plenty-of-cooks-stir-the-pot-at-network-ten-20110405-1d2zu.html

Plenty of cooks stir the pot at Network Ten

April 6, 2011
Elizabeth Knight

Ten Network will publish its first-half result for the 2011 financial year this week. It won't be pretty. Nor will it be unexpected. The fortunes of the Ten Network have been the subject of more newspaper column inches over the past six months than most companies three times its size.

Putting aside the fact that media loves talking about its own industry, Ten's problems - its earnings before interest tax amortisation and depreciation will fall 12 per cent from the equivalent half last year - are what inspired a bunch of financial luminaries including James Packer, Lachlan Murdoch and Gina Rinehart to buy in.

It is a classic renovation job. At first glance it looked simple enough - a lick of paint, some new carpet and the returns would be in the bag.

But the media world is a delicately balanced place in Australia. If you fiddle with one lever, the foundations could be compromised.

The initial architectural plans for the Ten overhaul were simple enough. Get the costs out and try not to damage the revenue line too much. The target was the expensive strategy of a news service. The second leg was to fix up or ditch the digital sport channel One HD, and the third part (although some dispute this) was to run Sky News as a replacement digital channel.

The logic for cutting the costs of the recently revamped Ten news is clear enough. It is expensive and not rating sufficiently well. It has already had its slot rejigged.
The sports digital channel is receiving an embarrassing 1 per cent of audience share. As such, it is just a waste of spectrum.

Overall there was, and still is, plenty of room for improvement. Once the new shareholders took control, the first step of getting rid of the incumbent management was executed swiftly.

Step two was to replace it. This is where the strategy hit its first real snag. Ten chose the No. 3 whiz kid at Seven - a move that upset that network's owners, the largest of which was Kerry Stokes.

In the intertwined Australian media landscape the ramifications are potentially large.
In the first instance, Ten and Seven are in a partnership to bid for the free-to-air rights for the all-important NRL football coverage Second, Seven is the part-owner of Sky TV, along with Murdoch's BSkyB and Channel Nine.

The final ownership complication is that the pay television outfit Foxtel is 25 per cent owned by Consolidated Media, whose major shareholders are James Packer and Kerry Stokes.

Until Ten raided Seven's management there had been a degree of peace in the media sector, but Stokes is unhappy about the management grab by Ten, and how this plays out is anyone's guess.

Packer's resignation from the board of Ten does not seem to have achieved its aim of placating Stokes.

At the very least, these hurdles may hold up the Ten restoration. But they do not change the reality that this is a network in need of some operational changes.
Six years ago Ten was the envy of the media sector. It was masterful at running a low-cost operation - its mainstays were a few soapies, some cheap news and lots of reruns of popular programs such as The Simpsons and Seinfeld. It was run on the smell of an oily rag, was enormously popular with the younger demographic and made stellar returns.

But since then its cost base has gradually grown at a faster rate than its ratings or revenue. This got worse when the government introduced multichannelling, which allowed all the networks to run several channels - which they ultimately stuffed to the gunwales with US sitcoms and reruns.

These new digital channels such as Go and 7Mate and GEM looked like clones of Ten's prime network service without the news.

Ten's attempts to differentiate itself from the new digital channels has resulted in it spending more on programming.

On a cost-to-ratings ratio basis, Ten is now higher than Seven. Attempting to match Seven by spending more and hoping that ratings and advertising will follow is extremely risky.

Ten's revenue has held up pretty well to date, which suggests that the remedy for Ten, in the short term at least, is to attack its cost base.

It could also bring some money through the door by selling its outdoor advertising business, thereby reducing its interest bill and giving it some breathing space.
This is exactly why the new major shareholders in Ten see there is an opportunity to reverse the earnings slide by bringing in a sharp knife.

What would hamper this new strategy is any disagreements between the major shareholders on the direction Ten could take.

There have been suggestions this week that Gina Rinehart is a strong supporter of a new current affairs pilot program anchored by the ultra-conservative journalist Andrew Bolt, whose opinions are in line with that of the high priestess of iron ore.

Apart from making money on the Ten turnaround, Packer will also be interested in the carve-up of sports rights, which could also form part of Lachlan Murdoch's thinking. Murdoch is a director of his father's News Corporation, which, along with Packer's Consolidated Media, owns Fox Sports - which bids against the free-to-air networks for various sporting rights. Taking One HD out of the game would work.

For the players that have taken a punt on Ten, the holy grail is easy to see, but the path to it could be rocky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts