What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goddo

Bench
Good find El, I was just about to say something about this very issue...

The final pieces in the NRL puzzle would then be Internet Rights and Major Sponsor - with the potential ownership shifs within Foxtel, Telstra with T-Box and Big Pond, and the National Broadband Network... who knows what that would be worth? $50m? $100m?

CC_Roosters

First Grade
It will be interesting to see what affect the proposition of expansion plays in the negotiations. Will fox or FTA get the additonal game if/when the NRL gets 18 teams. Personally i would like to see a saturday FTA game to give FTA coverage across the weekend.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Good find El, I was just about to say something about this very issue...

The final pieces in the NRL puzzle would then be Internet Rights and Major Sponsor - with the potential ownership shifs within Foxtel, Telstra with T-Box and Big Pond, and the National Broadband Network... who knows what that would be worth? $50m? $100m?

doesn't say anything abut him dropping his share in Fox Sports though

andrew057

First Grade
the only person who has mentioned it is Masters

there has been nothing from 9 so why would he comment :?

The way when it was first mentioned there was a lot of support and it sounded like a great idea. In recent months there hasnt been much on it either way.

Goddo

Bench
I really think we will get between $800-900m, probably around $850m with game sponsorship and internet rights thrown in.

Thats pretty bloody good, concidering the first and last rights of 9, Foxsports having first rights till 2025, the shafting we got last time, the conflict of interest problems we face with PBL/News/Telstra.

I also get the feeling the AFL will be looking at $900m-1b, again including internet rights and sponsorship, most probably around the $950m mark.

This would be a great outcome for us - it would allow the NRL to persue quite a few growth projects (expansion, national juniors programs, State RL's, player wage increases, et cetera) without breaking the bank.

We aren't in the AFL's position - whatever increase they get, they have already locked the money into GWS and GC for the next +10 years.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
i wonder why ESPN don't wish to bid for rights seeing they now have 2 channels

be a good way for them to make money from pubs and clubs

Perth Red

Post Whore
It will be interesting to see what affect the proposition of expansion plays in the negotiations. Will fox or FTA get the additonal game if/when the NRL gets 18 teams. Personally i would like to see a saturday FTA game to give FTA coverage across the weekend.

I'm resigned to the fact that if we get in all our games are likely to be sometime between 6.30-7.30pm kick offs to give a new live TV slot option every other week to either FTA or Fox. Unlikely they would want a 9.30pm live Friday game every week featuring WA so probably Saturday nights will be our home game time so a 8.30-9 or 9.30pm live game into Eastern states becomes a possibility.

nrlnrl

First Grade
i wonder why ESPN don't wish to bid for rights seeing they now have 2 channels

be a good way for them to make money from pubs and clubs

The same reasons they won't bid for AFL - a number of factors including the $ & that they operate through overseas content ( apart from 1 show per week - local version of PTI )

It might be different when the next AFL / NRL tv deal expires, but not now
- even if they tested the water with replay rights, they're just not ready for it & Fox Sports has 3 channels to allow more opportunities for multiple replays throughout the week, plus they realise the importance of complete replay rights.

TheRam

Coach
Just one question.

What is to stop any FTA station from bidding $B1+ for the whole lot. I mean every single game, all club, SOO, Internationals, NYC, Indigenous-All Stars, SOO Legends and anything else deemed worthy of televising. Total exclusivity. Surely that would be the best way to actually kill it for both the NRL and the winning bidder. It would rate its socks off.

bobmar28

Bench
They always say that but you just have to look at the ratings increases for the NRL to see what a load of garbage it is. It's just used as a justification to shaft us and if Gallop had the balls to play hardball like the AFL does (threatening to set up their own Paytv operation last time) we would actually get paid what we're worth to Foxtel.

Now there's an idea. Isn't that what the NFL and NASCAR do?

bobmar28

Bench
The thing is, unlike the AFL, we're not in a great financial position. Fox is powerful and it would be very hard for us to play hardball. Fox knows that and that's part of the reason we get screwed.

AFL has stashed away a massive amount of money in the bank for a rainy day, we have virtually nothing in the bank. How would we play hardball? If we took away games from Fox and offered them to FTA there is no way they could pay how much we want (and need).

Why not? If Fox can make a profit out of those games why couldn't FTA?

bobmar28

Bench
I think splitting into packages is going to force Fox to pay more, as long as another FTA is serious about getting them. Friday night games(2), Saturday Games (3), Sunday Games(3) and Monday night game(1). Those are the packages that should be on offer.

I really hope that is possible. ONE HD should be a competitor to Fox Sports and should bid against them.

redvscotty

First Grade
I heard One was splitting the channel up and no long going to be devoted to sports on the radio this morning?!?

nrlnrl

First Grade
http://www.news.com.au/business/ten...-lachlan-murdoch/story-e6frfm1i-1226035769103

DOesn't say too much about any changes, but does say that they may be on the horizon.

It's a business decision to try & turn things around. It might surprise some people, but tv stations do have to be run as a business.

I think this is the important part of the article...

Signalling that Channel 10's increasingly expensive news team was on notice, Mr Murdoch said more difficult decisions "still have to come" and the group was at a critical juncture.
"The financial performance, particularly in our television business, had really become untenable over the last five years," he said. "There was no growth aspiration in this business. And frankly, when you see that, from my perspective the status quo was not an option. Fundamentally a new attitude and a new accountability was demanded within the business."

Among key changes announced yesterday, One's programming will be overhauled on May 8 with drama, documentaries and movies added to the schedule alongside "premium sport".

Status
Not open for further replies.