What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brutus

Referee
I saw that report yesterday. It was almost entirely AFL footage. It could've been an AFL promo.

Saw it as well.

Only 3 secs of a Parra v Souths game and the rest flogball footage, despite the story talking about broadcast rights as a whole.

Nerd

Bench
I would like 9 to get AFL and then out of desperation when they realise that they have paid overs for a maxed out product get in a bidding war for the broken up NRL rights with 7, 10 and Foxtel.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Watching all the games on Fox over the weekend it seems to me the best slot for an extra game with expansion would be on a Sunday. 2 games on a Sunday just isn't enough for us couch potatoes!

2 Friday
3 Saturday (all 3 possibly live with WA in comp ie 3pm KO, 6pm KO 6pm KO WA time = 8pm live game Eastern States every other week)
3 Sunday
1 Monday

docbrown

Coach
I can tell you that Round 4 was the most watched NRL round this season so far with just under 4.4 million viewers aggregate in Australia.

Billythekid

First Grade
I'm wondering how expansion is going to factor into all this. Are we going to be negotiating with the fact that we will soon have an extra game a week like the AFL are?

Also the fact that we will have a team in Melbourne and Perth the 2 markets that fox are supposedly trying to increase their subscriber base in. Both the storm and the Perth team will have the majority of their games shown on fox.

The best part about admitting Perth is that i can see our ratings on fox going up even more with an extra market interested in league.

It would actually be great for the NRL because 9 would most likely be onselling 2 of the 4 AFL games to either 7 or 10. Either 7 buys 1 or 2 games and then both 7 & 9 have money up their sleeves for AFL and 9 won't be able to match their previous NRL deal meaning the rights can be broken up.

And word is that 9 are actually the favourites for the AFL now given that they've thrown live Friday night, live Monday night & live NSW & QLD coverage on digitals into the mix, with 7 refusing to budge on their price. The odds are looking likely that the AFL will take less money to gain better coverage.

They are actually going to agree to show live AFL into NSW and QLD even after seeing how it rates (and yet again ratings are plummeting this year)? That is just suicide for channel 9.

If i was 7 i would let them have the rights because live AFL in the northern states is going to make 9 bleed money.

docbrown

Coach
I'm wondering how expansion is going to factor into all this. Are we going to be negotiating with the fact that we will soon have an extra game a week like the AFL are?

It might even be worth forcing a short term deal in order to get ahead of the AFL's next round and have the expansion & commission issues sorted.

That said however - the smartest thing the NRL can do is to put an additional clause in the TV contract that if a 9th game becomes available that a balloon payment of 'X amount' will be paid covering the years that the timeslot occurs during the contract period.

So you can sell the 9th game without actually having confirmed its existence so to speak.

Also the fact that we will have a team in Melbourne and Perth the 2 markets that fox are supposedly trying to increase their subscriber base in. Both the storm and the Perth team will have the majority of their games shown on fox.

The best part about admitting Perth is that i can see our ratings on fox going up even more with an extra market interested in league.

It'll go up across the board. Not to mention what will happen if we can/do get F2A coverage on the digital channels in those states.

They are actually going to agree to show live AFL into NSW and QLD even after seeing how it rates (and yet again ratings are plummeting this year)? That is just suicide for channel 9.

Not on the main, on either Go or Gem. It would be the same on a Sunday as well as there's no way 9 would risk losing NSW & QLD markets on a weak news lead in.

If i was 7 i would let them have the rights because live AFL in the northern states is going to make 9 bleed money.

It sounds like 9's plan is to cover both bases. It would buy all 4 games - Friday night, Saturday night, Sunday arvo & Monday night. Then offsell 1 or 2 of them to 7 & 10 - most likely Saturday night.

It also sounds like even though 9's bid is lower than 7 & 10's, that 7 & 10 aren't reacting to the pressure and are standing their ground. The decision for the AFL appears to be whether they go with 9 and get a wider and live coverage base but less money or stick with 7 & 10. The thing with 7 & 10 however is that they want to keep 2 games exclusive - Friday & Saturday nights - which in turn is causing Fox to lower their overall offer.

The best thing for the NRL will be for 9 to win the AFL rights because then all 3 networks would be back in the hunt for NRL rights and even competing against Fox for certain slots - with the added benefit of 9 being unable to afford their current package or being forced by the other networks to drive up their overall package offer.

Last edited:

Billythekid

First Grade
Not on the main, on either Go or Gem. It would be the same on a Sunday as well as there's no way 9 would risk losing NSW & QLD markets on a weak news lead in.

It thats all they're doing why are seven so against it? There isn't that much to lose showing AFL on Go or Gem.

Also do you think it's likely we can get a similar deal in the southern states?

That would really do wonders for the storm. Finally they could actually get prime time coverage like the swans and lions have had for years.

Goddo

Bench
^ Anti siphoning list changes mean NRL must be shown before 4 hours after it has concluded.

So Friday night double header second game must start before 11.30, meaning the first game must start around 9.30pm. This will happen into Melbourne on an alternate non-main channel.

Wether it will go live, or the same time as NSW will be up to the NRL to negotiate.

Cletus

First Grade

That's what I don't get, Nine will have to show two games a week live into both NSW and QLD that rate like a test pattern, then they have to show the four best games (Conroy said he wanted the four 'best games' shown on FTA under the new AS rules) into NSW and QLD within four hours. I don't know how they are going to find the space for 18 hours of awful ratings a week, it will kill their share. And it's a massive contrast to the sh*t treatment of the NRL.

docbrown

Coach
That's what I don't get, Nine will have to show two games a week live into both NSW and QLD that rate like a test pattern, then they have to show the four best games (Conroy said he wanted the four 'best games' shown on FTA under the new AS rules) into NSW and QLD within four hours. I don't know how they are going to find the space for 18 hours of awful ratings a week, it will kill their share. And it's a massive contrast to the sh*t treatment of the NRL.

Even though 9 is bidding for 4 games they're also planning to onsell 1 or 2 of the 4 to 7/10.

As they 9 is the only one pushing Monday night football, you'd suspect it would be as follows if 9 won the AFL rights:

Friday Night AFL:
9 in WA, SA, VIC & TAS
Go/Gem in NSW, ACT & QLD

Monday Night AFL:
9 in WA, SA, VIC & TAS
Go/Gem in NSW, ACT & QLD

With Saturday night & Sunday afternoon going either way. The whole point of this is for 9 to pick up some follow on AFL audiences but still have enough cash to keep the NRL audiences as well. I suspect they'd be wanting to keep Friday Night NRL double headers and win all 5 metros each week.

I hope 9 win the AFL rights as:
a) 7 & 10 will be forced into the NRL mix
b) 7 & 9 could apply pressure to Fox as well by bidding for Fox's slots hence driving up Fox's deal
c) 9 is unable to match their previous package bid or is forced by the other networks to pay overs

Gippsy

Bench
Even though 9 is bidding for 4 games they're also planning to onsell 1 or 2 of the 4 to 7/10.

As they 9 is the only one pushing Monday night football, you'd suspect it would be as follows if 9 won the AFL rights:

Friday Night AFL:
9 in WA, SA, VIC & TAS
Go/Gem in NSW, ACT & QLD

Monday Night AFL:
9 in WA, SA, VIC & TAS
Go/Gem in NSW, ACT & QLD

With Saturday night & Sunday afternoon going either way. The whole point of this is for 9 to pick up some follow on AFL audiences but still have enough cash to keep the NRL audiences as well. I suspect they'd be wanting to keep Friday Night NRL double headers and win all 5 metros each week.

I hope 9 win the AFL rights as:
a) 7 & 10 will be forced into the NRL mix
b) 7 & 9 could apply pressure to Fox as well by bidding for Fox's slots hence driving up Fox's deal
c) 9 is unable to match their previous package bid or is forced by the other networks to pay overs

So, based on the same principle, can we expect whoever gets the NRL to show it on their main channel in Qld & NSW and on a digital channel in the other states?

duylm

Juniors
Question:
This may have been covered, but can anyone explain to me how in regional NSW, in particular i'm referring here to Newcastle, we can watch the friday night AFL game at 8.30 on 7mate? It's on the main channel after 11, I thought you can never broadcast on a digital channel before the main channel as the rule currently stands, unless they grant a special exemption like they did with the kickoff game of the season.

El Diablo

Post Whore
they obviously asked for permission and the Government gave it to them

9 wouldn't do that. 9 didn't need permission to put the All Stars on a multi channel and still wouldn't show it

BunniesMan

Immortal
Every game should be shown nationally in the foreign states on the alternate channels. No excuse for that not to happen, it's not like they're showing must see television on those channels now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts