What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Diablo

Post Whore
2nd channel 10 sports update, once again, no mention of AFL.

The ranga that reads the sports looks angry that there is no AFL reports as he always get excited when he reads AFL stories.:lol:

Love it.

hopefully Murdoch gets rid of the Victorian

can't stand him

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm amazed at Telstra paying $28mill a year! They currently pay us leess than $5mill. That would be a nice increase in itself and more than pay for two new teams and a host of other initiatives.

El Diablo

Post Whore
yesterday i heard some media person saying that Telstra had picked up the AFL rights for a song

we should be aiming for a lot more

clarency

Juniors
I'm amazed at Telstra paying $28mill a year! They currently pay us leess than $5mill. That would be a nice increase in itself and more than pay for two new teams and a host of other initiatives.

We'd be able to do everything we need to do and still be sitting on a pile of money. We'd have more money then we'd know what to do with, really.

People are getting ancy over whether NRL will get as much as AFL, but need the reminder that it costs a lot less to run NRL teams. We could get less money than the AFL and still end up in a better position financially (not taking into account existing funds, of course).

bradman

Juniors
Im sick to death of us talking like we are second fiddle. The AFL were very creative to get their deal. We are worth every bit as much and more. 1.5 billion has to be the aim,if a network bought the lot they could on sell to fox for whatever. NRL have a superior product in that they attract viewers who arnt members or actual rugby league supporters,most rugby and soccer people watch it and even the fumble ballers turn it on for the big games and its by far the most watched sport where most of the population lives. Forget about adverts time in a game,fox dont have ads during gametime.

Perth Red

Post Whore
and of course add in the savings from the IC formation. Anything close to a $billion (whilst still sticking in the throat that we can't get as much as AFL) will set the game up for massive development over the next decade. Imagine the NRL having an extra $100mill income a year and the jnr/amateur game having an extra $25mill+ a year, throw in a totally new development fund of $5mill a year for affiliated states and you have some massive opportunities for the game at all levels and in all parts of the country to do some amazing stuff!

Edwahu

Bench
We'd be able to do everything we need to do and still be sitting on a pile of money. We'd have more money then we'd know what to do with, really.

People are getting ancy over whether NRL will get as much as AFL, but need the reminder that it costs a lot less to run NRL teams. We could get less money than the AFL and still end up in a better position financially (not taking into account existing funds, of course).

Good point. League is run about as lean as you can get at the moment.

Raiderdave

First Grade
the landscape has changed significantly since the last rights deals were done.

the FTA channels can show protected sport on their secondary channels, this wasn't allowed before this yr and the AFL held their negotiations to get a ruling.

Fox are now allowed to bid by themselves. in the last round a FTA channels had to buy ALL the rights and on sell them to Fox.

and raiderdave.

this is the real world. FTA are not ever going to show 8 games of NRL a week. NEVER. the only way all games are going to be shown is if pay show the majority of them.

FTA can buy them all .. at a billion for 9 games a week between the 3 networks ( we'll have 2 new sides by 2013)
333 odd million each ...no piggy banks broken there

& onsell the dregs to pay.. keeping the cream for themselves , 9 keeping maybe all 3 of there present games , 2 Friday & 1 Sunday .... 7 whacking on a Monday night game ... 10 a Saturday night game .... all bar the 2nd Friday game in these ..... Live .. national coverage .. on secondary chnls in the sthn states
& the 4 least attractive games 2 Sat , & 2 Sun onsold to Fox & they'll of course have the NYC too
pay then has no direct influence ova the amount paid for our rights .. unless they want to bid against this for a better cut of games & better nights .... Like Monday.

we then sell origin for 20 mill a year seperately
& Finals & tests for 20 million a year seperately

thats 1.2 Billion
all of this ... achievable .. even in the real world:roll:

Mark Rudd

Juniors
FTA can buy them all .. at a billion for 9 games a week between the 3 networks ( we'll have 2 new sides by 2013)
333 odd million each ...no piggy banks broken there

& onsell the dregs to pay.. keeping the cream for themselves , 9 keeping maybe all 3 of there present games , 2 Friday & 1 Sunday .... 7 whacking on a Monday night game ... 10 a Saturday night game .... all bar the 2nd Friday game in these ..... Live .. national coverage .. on secondary chnls in the sthn states
& the 4 least attractive games 2 Sat , & 2 Sun onsold to Fox & they'll of course have the NYC too
pay then has no direct influence ova the amount paid for our rights .. unless they want to bid against this for a better cut of games & better nights .... Like Monday.

we then sell origin for 20 mill a year seperately
& Finals & tests for 20 million a year seperately

thats 1.2 Billion
all of this ... achievable .. even in the real world:roll:

I don't think so.

Of course, what WOULD be good is if ALL games WERE on FTA. Who want's to pay to watch sports. Not me.

At the very least, the NRL needs to make sure the All Star game - maybe even the Charity Shield, ANZAC game, SoO, all Finals, GF, and MINIMUM of 3 live games and 2 replays are on FTA.

Screw Fox and it's over advertised and overpayed hype it sells.

I don't think so.

Of course, what WOULD be good is if ALL games WERE on FTA. Who want's to pay to watch sports. Not me.

At the very least, the NRL needs to make sure the All Star game - maybe even the Charity Shield, ANZAC game, SoO, all Finals, GF, and MINIMUM of 3 live games and 2 replays are on FTA.

Screw Fox and it's over advertised and overpayed hype it sells.

There simply isnt the space to do all 8 or 9 games justice on free to air.

I appreciate not everyone out there wants to pay for coverage but as the saying goes you get what you pay for. The fox coverage is vastly superior to anything FTA throw up.

And for 4 or 5 games a round there should be that option.

NRLMad

Juniors
For the game to get maximised ratings & $$$, we need a Friday night and Sunday live game for QLD & NSW viewers on FTA. This means that a new QLD team is a must for expansion. Saturday can have super Saturday (3 games) - Foxtel; & we retain Monday 7pm (FTA/Foxtel Shared).

bobmar28

Bench
It's just the negotiation of how many games on FTA will affect Foxtel's subscription base in NSW & QLD.

The other thing too is that majority of Austar's base is in regional NSW & QLD. The current perception is that Foxtel are looking at something like a $2 Billion takeover.

However, if the NRL were to also remind Austar of how much of its subscriptions are driven by Rugby League in those areas, then that creates internal pressure at Foxtel that they must then address.

The FTA networks would actually prefer to kill off subscription television if they had the chance as with the advent of digital platforms they can offer a competitive comparitive model. At the moment Foxtel are committed to this deal that's based around anticipated growth in the Southern States - but to fund it in the mean time they need to keep their existing foundation.

I'm not saying we will necessarily get the same deal as the AFL, however I do believe that the NRL are capable of forcing their hand to get a fair outcome.

Edit: I might add that one of the suspected shortlisted commissioners is a very well respected former media buyer who has a great reputation when it comes to these kind of negotiations.

That's the best news I have heard in a while. I hope they sign that person up for the IC.

Mong

Post Whore
For the game to get maximised ratings & $$$, we need a Friday night and Sunday live game for QLD & NSW viewers on FTA. This means that a new QLD team is a must for expansion. Saturday can have super Saturday (3 games) - Foxtel; & we retain Monday 7pm (FTA/Foxtel Shared).

What are the ratings like for current shows FTA channels have on at game time on a Monday?

Will league on a monday rate higher?

bobmar28

Bench
they may have when they paid nothing for the rights

they can't afford to when they break the bank for them

impossible to watch ... phhhtttttt
& I don't give a rats if they whack some ads in there.. if they are the ones that pay the big $$$ & we don't get diddled

I'd rather that .. then those turds at fox .. getting away with paying huge unders again for our rights.. & watching add free football
its a small price to pay

I would rather watch games with ads on FTA than see Fox get NRL on the cheap again.

Status
Not open for further replies.