What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Walking Dead

Jimminy

Juniors
It's kinda weird.. I was swearing like a mofo when the episode finished. I watched the talking dead afterwards and I liked how they put it. Gimple said it first and Kirkman backed it up later. They said this was the end of a story (Rick and his group being badass). And the start of the story would be the group's reaction to the death when we all see it and how they react and move forward. There was a point for me in the walking dead when character scenes were the best bits. They screwed it up with all the shark jumping but I think this works. You're all in for some "fillers".

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Love the show but yep disappointed.
The writing was average. It made some of the seasoned characters out to look totally stupid.
I'll keep watching though.

Best episode from the last 3 seasons.

Not sure why you f**kwits continue to watch it and get triggered by every minor detail.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
It's kinda weird.. I was swearing like a mofo when the episode finished. I watched the talking dead afterwards and I liked how they put it. Gimple said it first and Kirkman backed it up later. They said this was the end of a story (Rick and his group being badass). And the start of the story would be the group's reaction to the death when we all see it and how they react and move forward. There was a point for me in the walking dead when character scenes were the best bits. They screwed it up with all the shark jumping but I think this works. You're all in for some "fillers".

Could have achieved that very same end without the gimmick of hiding the death for six months. If the reaction to the death is what's important then wouldn't it be better to show the death and go straight to the fallout in season 7?

Having said that, I am curious to see how they open season 7. I hope the first person POV thing was just a way of hiding the death rather than censorship issues and they open season 7 with a replay of that scene where we see some brutality (obviously it won't be full on) and reactions from the characters as it is happening.

If we see a genuinely intense opening scene where we see character reactions as it happens then it'll still be a cheap annoying gimmick but I could live it because the scene would be awesome. However if they go straight to the aftermath where they're arriving at the hilltop or Alexandria without reliving that scene in some way then that would be a poor cop out.

bileduct

Coach
But the real important question, CH, is were those three episodes better than the Transformers movies?

I'll give you three days to think about it, mate. It's obviously going to be a tough one for you.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Loved the episode. Hated the stupid, hokey cliffhanger.

Carol/Morgan storyline was unnecessary and dull, but I loved the way tension ramped up and up and up as things progressed. The final Negan reveal and JDM's performance were just sublime. Super tense.

And then that shitty, first person, fake blood rolling down the screen finish. Ugh. Lazy writing. Right up there with 'and it was all a dream'.

But the real important question, CH, is were those three episodes better than the Transformers movies?

I'll give you three days to think about it, mate. It's obviously going to be a tough one for you.

What 3 episodes are you referring to?

But hey, at least im not watching a tv show that continually annoys me.

bileduct

Coach
Well why watch it?
Well, to be honest, I only watched the opening episode of this season (a few weeks after it came out) and that was because it supposedly had some amazing scene with a rocket launcher that turned out to be one of the gayest things I've seen so far on this show.

I tuned out after they left Terminus. I did see the ending of another episode where it looked like Glenn was going to get f**ked up by zombies for sure, but I see he somehow made it back. I don't even care how that eventuated.

The thread is still entertaining though.

Last edited:

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Didn't start as B grade with Frank Darabont directing the first few eps

He directed the first ep, which was the pilot, and had a ridiculous budget to ensure it got picked up and was never going to be affordable for any station to maintain going forward.

He was the showrunner for the first season and that's it. After that the network wanted more episodes for less money which started us down the path we see today where a big episode is followed by smaller ones to balance out the budget which is why the pacing from episode to episode often rollercoasters.

bileduct

Coach
Pretty funny reading through some of these reviews...

http://variety.com/2016/tv/opinion/...16-cliffhanger-ending-negan-death-1201744472/

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...n-six-episode-16-recap-last-day-earth/476349/

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/4/11358954/the-walking-dead-finale-recap-negan-spoilers-last-day-on-earth

Looks like a lot of people are finally realising why they watch this show - violence, gore and the regular purge of mostly second tier characters. None of these people cared about the plot, they just spent an entire season wanting to see someone getting their head caved in with a baseball bat.

mackdadday

Juniors
He looks left and right and says feed the kids nose to the dad so the only ones who are safe are Glen, Rick, Karl and the science dude. The scope of his looking left and right would suggest that the two on the left and the first couple on the right are safe. This makes me think it's Abraham, the gay dude, Rosa, Michon or the other black chick. Would be bad ass if it was Maggie but i don't think Negan would be that stupid.

Casting was perfect for Negan.

Jimminy

Juniors
Could have achieved that very same end without the gimmick of hiding the death for six months. If the reaction to the death is what's important then wouldn't it be better to show the death and go straight to the fallout in season 7?

Having said that, I am curious to see how they open season 7. I hope the first person POV thing was just a way of hiding the death rather than censorship issues and they open season 7 with a replay of that scene where we see some brutality (obviously it won't be full on) and reactions from the characters as it is happening.

If we see a genuinely intense opening scene where we see character reactions as it happens then it'll still be a cheap annoying gimmick but I could live it because the scene would be awesome. However if they go straight to the aftermath where they're arriving at the hilltop or Alexandria without reliving that scene in some way then that would be a poor cop out.

I agree completely. I think they have to open it up with a replay of eeny meeny from Negan's point of view. I reckon they'll start it just like you say.. the crew will go back somewhere. The death of whoever it was will be a flashback kind of thing.

And if all that happens it'll piss me off. I'm not gonna cry foul like the everybody crying B grade. I watch to be entertained. I am. I don't try to over think it.

If I did then walkers would die within a week (apparently real life applies in this show), lawns wouldn't be cut like they are. Carl could not possibly have survived that shot. Glenn would be dead way before now and, most certainly, Abraham would be in hell for letting Rosita go.

Oh, yeah.. and trees would be dead because there's not enough carbon dioxide to photosynthesize because there aren't enough humans breathing..