What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The World Cup Thread

antonius

Coach
A draw against Brazil would be a fantastic result for us, not beyond the realms of posibilty either, our guys will need to really hassle the Brazilians for the 90 minutes (big ask) they can take heart from Croatias efforts though (it can be done) The problem is one lapse and teams like Brazil will make you pay. One thing about this world cup is the leaway being allowed in tackles, a lot of the diving and the like has been cut out because of the threat of being penalised for it, that has seen aggressive play being rewarded where as in the past players could resort to falling over to glean a stopage or free kick. It's opened the game up a lot from what we've seen in the past, and that is to the advantage of sides like Australia. Astro you don't get points for a loss.

RABK

Referee
astrogirl said:
Awesome, thanks guys.

I am trying to get my head around this group stage. So 3 points for a win, 1 for a loss and presumably 2 for a draw? Then if two teams are tied for 2nd place then it is determined on for and against?

3 for a win
1 for a draw
0 for a loss

astrogirl

First Grade
Does anyone know what happens with yellow cards? Do they carry on throughout the tournament, or just to the end of round 1?

I read that 2 yellow cards means a 1 match ban. Does that mean that on getting a 2nd yellow card, a player plays out the rest of the match and cannot play the next one?

B-dos

Referee
I read that 2 yellow cards means a 1 match ban. Does that mean that on getting a 2nd yellow card, a player plays out the rest of the match and cannot play the next one?

Thats correct.

Thats one of the problems with having sub-standard referees controlling games. Some of the yellow cards we received were very harsh. At the time it may not seem real bad however the consequences in the latter stages of the tournament can be very tough indeed, just ask Michael Ballack.

antonius

Coach
I'm pretty sure the yellow cards revert back to zero after the initial round robin rounds (the ones being played now.) Not sure what the situation is with any recieved in the round of 16 and so on.

IanG

Coach
Quite frankly I think some referees are a little trigger happy when it comes to Yellow Cards. I still think that South Americans get away with blue murder sometimes.

astrogirl

First Grade
I just saw this

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,19468612-2,00.html

Socceroos' fate on the cards
By Doug Conway in Oehringen, Germany
14-06-2006

Yellow card ... Socceroos stars Tim Cahill and John Aloisi get back into training in Ohringen, Germany, before their match against world champs Brazil on Sunday night / AFP
FOUR key Socceroos have a yellow card hanging over their necks but a "no guts, no glory" approach means Australia is unlikely to hold anything back from Sunday's World Cup showdown with world champions Brazil.

The Australians escaped physically unhurt from their historic 3-1 victory over Japan in Kaiserslautern but yellow cards can be deadlier than injuries, and four Australian names went into the Egyptian referee's book - defender Craig Moore, midfielders Vince Grella and Tim Cahill and striker John Aloisi.
All are vital cogs in the Socceroo machine.

But if coach Guus Hiddink decides to risk them against Brazil, any one who picks up another yellow card will be automatically disqualified from what is shaping up as the real decider for Australia - the final group match against Croatia.

Vote: Can Australia beat Brazil? »
Graphic: All the World Cup statistics »
In pictures: Fans go Brazilian »

The temptation, therefore, is to keep one or more of them in cotton wool on Sunday, especially as the chance of upsetting the tournament's hot favourites is, on paper at least, remote.

But Socceroos' management is unlikely to start thinking conservatively at this stage, particularly after bold selections and tactics have got the team where it is now - on the brink of a coveted place in the final 16.

"It is a concern having four yellow cards," assistant coach Graham Arnold said.

"Obviously we've got a bit to talk about with yellow cards."

But Arnold gave a strong indication of the audacious thinking in the Socceroo camp when he said: "If we can get something against Brazil, well, the second round looks good.

"I don't think we have the luxury of being able to rest players, so I think it's one game at a time and at the moment that's Brazil.

"You can't look too far down the track (to the Croatia game) because you can bring yourself undone, especially against a side like Brazil.

"If you ask the players who are on the yellows, they'll all want to play against Brazil, won't they?

"It's a fantastic experience to be able to play against them."

The Socceroos were given a well-earned day off today to relax with their families and play golf at their palatial retreat at Friedrichsruhe in the tranquil countryside of southern Germany.

But it's straight back to serious work tomorrow.

"We'll get mentally and tactically prepared to play Brazil," said Arnold.

"We'll give it our best shot. We've got nothing to lose.

"We pretty much shocked the world with our win over Japan.

"Now Brazil will be looking over their shoulder at us."

Arnold believes the Socceroos are the type of team that could do well if they make the knock-out stage of the World Cup.

"We've got a cup final football side of good athletes that fight for 90 minutes and leave nothing in the tank," he said.

He also praised Australian sports science as among the best in the world, saying Australian Institute of Sport research had helped the Socceroos develop a superb hydration and recovery program.

"Our boys have recovered fantastic (from the Japan game) with ice baths and wearing tights to get rid of lactic acid," he said.

"The recovery and hydration has been fantastic."

"When everyone tired (during the game) we had three guys who were still going - Brett Emerton, Scott Chipperfield and Jason Culina - and they helped make it possible for us to play four strikers at the end."

stevo

Juniors
astrogirl said:
I quite like Lucas Neill too stevo :D

He's hot ay! Awsome player too. he like was like 18 on his debut for the socceroos and best of all he's a BLUE!!! haha

cram

Bench
Okay can some one give me a run down how the draw works. Is it the top two of each group that goes through to the next round?

Alex28

Coach
Top 2 from each of the 8 pools go through to the Final 16 where there is a set draw. The runner up of our pool will most likely play Italy (on the basis they win their pool) in the Round of 16...

RABK

Referee
Alex28 said:
Top 2 from each of the 8 pools go through to the Final 16 where there is a set draw. The runner up of our pool will most likely play Italy (on the basis they win their pool) in the Round of 16...

Say we happen to top our group...long shot i know but we aren't here to make up the numbers. Who would our likely opponent be?

Misanthrope

Staff member
Say we happen to top our group...long shot i know but we aren't here to make up the numbers. Who would our likely opponent be?

Based on round one results? We'd play the Czech Republic, whilst Italy would meet Brazil.

RABK

Referee
f**k. Hard game either way.

Judging by the Czech's performance the other night i say bring on Italy. Czech's are the side to beat so far going by round 1 results.

Alex28

Coach
Winner of Group F plays the runner up of Group E
Winner of Group E plays the runner up of Group F

Group E has Italy, Czech Republic, USA and Ghana in it...I think it would come down to who wins between Italy and Czech Republic as to who finishes first. Both look pretty outstanding and - to be frank - look out of our league...

Misanthrope

Staff member
Group E has Italy, Czech Republic, USA and Ghana in it...I think it would come down to who wins between Italy and Czech Republic as to who finishes first. Both look pretty outstanding and - to be frank - look out of our league...

I'd like to play Italy. They're notorious for scoring an early goal and then resting on their laurels for the remainder of the game - it's how South Korea eliminated them in 2002. The Czech Republic wouldn't give us such an easy weakness to exploit.

Alex28

Coach
From the first round of games they look the best in the comp (along with Spain - they are killing the Ukrane at the moment). The Czech's absolutely dominated the US - we definately don't want to face them. Italy is probably doable I guess - but if they click we wont stand a chance.

Latest posts