What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The World Cup Thread

aqua_duck

Coach
Parki said:
on another note, the commentators remarked last night that japan were the asian champions or something? if thats the best asia has to offer, we should romp home with the asian nations cup (held next year) as they have nothing

maybe they can play a lot better than that, who knows
On paper we should beat most asian teams but Iran, South Korea and Japan will always give us a run for our money, and to be honest Japan are capable of alot better than what we saw last night

Misanthrope

Staff member
Australia's placement in Asia will finally give the Socceroos the recognition they deserve as a world class nation. People around the world respect South Korea, Iran, and Japan for their consistently competitive results - and once we're mixing it up with them on a regular basis, the same level of respect will come to Australian soccer.

We're a more than realistic bet to win an Asian championship or two - and that will only help the profile of Australian soccer both overseas and in Australia. It should also translate into a more competitive A-League (through both increased involvement from the public and greater exposure for our Australian based players).

The move to Asia is just about the best thing that could happen to Australian football in a long term sense.

Alex28

Coach
We are a decent shot at the Asian Championship IF we can keep the core of this side together. We all know what happens when players want to leave their clubs for national duty...

Stuzmeister

Juniors
Yeah I loved the game last night. With 15mins to go, I turned to my mate next to me and said, "You watch they'll score 2 goals in the last 10 minutes", how wrong I was, 3 goals in the last 8minutes. Unbelievable.

Misanthrope

Staff member
According to FIFA trivia, we're the only side in World Cup history to score three goals in the final seven minutes of a game.

RABK

Referee
We are the only side in this World Cup that has come from behind to win a game thus far.

stevo

Juniors
I actually stayed up and watched the whole game too. Go me! Not a big fan of the game but i enjoyed it last night. I like that Lucas Neill dude. Anyone know where about in Oz he is from

I'm not a smart enough man to come up with words to adequately describe how I felt last night, so I'm not going to try.

I'll just say that I've never, ever, ever, ever, ever been prouder to be Australian, and I doubt I ever will.

I watched the game alone at home, and when Cahill's second fell in off the post, I cried like a girl.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I watched the game alone at home, and when Cahill's second fell in off the post, I cried like a girl.

It's odd, I was so caught up in cheering last night that it didn't hit me until this afternoon when I watched the replay. Shed a tear or two then, I'm not afraid to admit. Was a remarkable moment, and one I'm so glad I was able to experience and not have to hear about the next day at work.

Alex28

Coach
lol...i screamed out loud when Timmy scored his second goal and then admitted so in our morning meeting at work - three other blokes admitted the same thing :)

probably the best thing i've heard though is a mate of a mate is in Tokyo at the moment - he was watching it at his apartment and at the end of the game he heard clear as a bell from a neighbouring apartment tower...

"YOU f**kING BEAUTY SOCCEROO'S!"

:)

antonius

Coach
Brazil beat Croatia 1-0 this morning. Have to say Brazil were way off their game, which might be bad for us, they'll want to atone for that display. Croatia were impressive, we'll do well to get any sort of result against either of them, but who knows? this is a very good Australian side, and it's on the cards we can cause another upset.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Brazil were pretty disappointing IMO. Kaka's beauty of a goal was the only thing which saved them from a goal-less draw. Croatia did play very well though. Could mean trouble for the Aussies when we play Brazil ....

B-dos

Referee
Yep i agree. This is not the best result for Australia as Brazil will certainly come out firing after that fairly dismal performance. Croatia also showed they are a class team and will cause us trouble, although this was always going to be the case imo.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
It is a good thing, although a healthier winning margin would have been a little nicer.

B-dos

Referee
Yeah sorry for the confusion astro. Its definately good that Brazil won however it would have been much better if they had have scored a few more goals.

I think if we are to get through it might come down to goal difference. Our winning margin against the Japs is a great boost for us however we need to have a great game against brazil and not let them score many goals. Ill be very happy with a draw or a 1-0 loss, a win would be 10 x Monday nights euphoria.

astrogirl

First Grade
Awesome, thanks guys.

I am trying to get my head around this group stage. So 3 points for a win, 1 for a loss and presumably 2 for a draw? Then if two teams are tied for 2nd place then it is determined on for and against?