What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thesis on Supporters Groups in OZ!

Red Bear

Referee
I was gunna sit with the burrow at the NSO game but i could work out where th burrow was, cos all the singing was coming from on of the stand yet all the banners etc were on the hill.

ali

Bench
Bunny Boy said:
ParraMatt said:
Also the Sharkies have a huge Army. I wouldn't call it that small. At home games they get bucket loads to there hill and if you visited beer hill at Toyota Park again they sing and chant the whole 80 minutes.

Every time ive been to Shark Park this supposed Shark Army your talking about have been non existant?

When do they come out ?

I reckon this Leeds bloke is pretty spot on with his assumptions.

Our army at home is pretty poor, mainly because most of the fanatics are spread around the ground, either with their mates or as season ticket holders in the grand stand. Recently the younger blokes, who used to stand in front of the big screen and to the left of the army, have moved over to beer hill. Beer hill is the future, and in the last home game of the year we did a lot of chanting on beer hill.

At the closer away games we usually do ok. I had a great day at kogarah. I reckon we spent at least half the game chanting. There were some fairly inventive chants such as the Vagana chant to the tune of the "The People" by the Music.

Having said that, we've got nothing compared to the South stand at Headingly. When I was there Leeds were struggling but it was still awesome stuff. 8000 at Headingly creates a better atmosphere than anything I've ever experienced at an Aussie sporting stadium.

Bunny Boy

Juniors
GoTheBears said:
I was gunna sit with the burrow at the NSO game but i could work out where th burrow was, cos all the singing was coming from on of the stand yet all the banners etc were on the hill.

Loooooong story.

:?

CC_Eagle

First Grade
Bunny Boy said:
CC_Eagle said:
Top stuff Leeds...

I expected to see our Manly group " The Rockers" down a bit further because not many know about us outside the Manly club. For a team that has performed like ours has this year I think we've been fairly good. Theres about 7 or 8 of us that never miss a game, be it home or away, Australia or NZ. You definetly got it right with the Burrow at #1 :clap: :clap: :clap: Met a few of them at the NSO game. One bloke who had a huge red and green spoon and a goatee beard was an absolute champion! Lives in Newcastle or something.

Thats Rads from Newcastle. Absolute champion!

He travels from Newcastle EVERY GAME to set up the Burrow banner and take photos for us.

Champion supporter and a champion bloke to boot!

BTW CC, I reckon the Rockers did very well at NSO that day. There seemed to be alot of you.

Pass on a G'day from us :D Theres a few pics of him and his spoon on our official forum on mightyeagles.com.
Believe it or not there was a better Manly atmosphere on the hill that day than there has been all season at Brookie (except for the round 2 game against the chooks). I have no idea why, probably because only the diehards went , only the diehards make alot of noise and pretty much all Manly fans sat in the one spot.

MEE

Juniors
What an Australian regards as 'good atmosphere' and what a European classifies, as 'good atmosphere' is often very different.

Perfect example
I don't see how you think us Eels away games is THAT small. We relatively have quite a lot. We are very loud on home games allthough not the biggest army and have quite alot of songs and not just the "Parra, Parra" one you stated.

I don't mean to pick at you're posts ParraMatt and by no means is this a shot at Eels fans. I could say exactly the same thing about Brookvale oval. But in my opinion Parramatta stadium generally has a flat atmosphere at best and the Parramatta army vocally is very poor. The same goes for the Dragon Army and Bulldog army. In terms of atmosphere, very flat.

Credit to the Burrow and SGB who have lifted the bar somewhat but realistically they both need many more members to create any sort of impact.

From what I've seen going to an NRL match is somewhat of a social event. Friends and family turn up with rugs in hand and sit on 'the hill.' They might cheer when someone scores and yell for the ref to 'get them back on side!' but that's about it. Any noise that is created on 'the hill' is swept away by the wind and a lot of the supporters are spread out in all corners of the ground.

In contrast an ESL game between top teams is very different. If it's anything like the 'sokkah' in Europe which im sure it is to an extent all be it on a smaller scale then there will be fewer women and children in the crowd and the opposing supporters will be segregated. The environment can be and often is much more hostile and the grounds are much better acoustically Also the locals have grown up with a singing, chanting culture.

By the way LEEDS! There is a group of Roosters supporters who are reasonable. It's not the chook pen but those in the bay to the left of the commentary boxes on the tunnel side of Aussie Stadium. When they do dish out a chant like they did a couple of times on Sunday it's actually not too bad.

Southernsaint

Staff member
I can't speak for other supporter groups, but as for the Dragon Army, we get a lot better atmosphere when we're the Away side. I think it's a combination of the us-and-them mentality that comes out at an away ground & the fact that more of your so-called "hard-core" fans gather together at the oppositions home ground.

Standing up is another factor that cannot be under-appreciated either. It is so hard to Fire Up when sitting down on a Hill. It's only a few hours, people, get on your bloody feet!!

Cheers,
Ben S.

Panthers_Gurl

First Grade
parra_panther said:
LEEDS! said:
3rd: Panthers Beer Squad: Total: 33/50
* Array of songs: 7
* Number of people: 6
* Away form: 6
* Atmosphere created: 7
* Entertainment value: 7
Atmosphere is the key and these guys will do anything for a laugh to get behind their team. They dress kooky and they sing even kookier. Yet again more songs probably needed but they give as good as they take! Could get better.

Cheers mate! :)

As the LU rep of this group, I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

We've only been around a couple of years - I have almost forgotten what it was like without this group... but they are a great bunch of people, and definitely make the games that lot more enjoyable.

There is a big chance we will be undergoing a name change for next year ...

But we will be back, bigger and better!

8)

By the way - www.beersquad.cjb.net

WHAT YOUR CHANGING YOUR NAME :shock:

Souths Princess

Juniors
Southernsaint said:
Standing up is another factor that cannot be under-appreciated either. It is so hard to Fire Up when sitting down on a Hill. It's only a few hours, people, get on your bloody feet!!

Cheers,
Ben S.

Totally agree with you there. I have been part of The Burrow for 1½ seasons and I don't think I could sit through a footy game!!!!

I love being part of The Burrow and I can't wait until all the other clubs have as many songs as we do!!!! It will be unreal!!!!!

Zetland Zoo

Juniors
parra_panther said:
LEEDS! said:
Atmosphere is the key and these guys will do anything for a laugh to get behind their team. They dress kooky and they sing even kookier. Yet again more songs probably needed but they give as good as they take! Could get better.

We've only been around a couple of years - I have almost forgotten what it was like without this group... but they are a great bunch of people, and definitely make the games that lot more enjoyable.

8)

Good idea to change the name I like the beer squad but the name might keep some away.
Good luck and seeya when the Rabbitohs give it to ya next season lol.

JW

Coach
ethos said:
Broncos crowds are waaaay in front when it comes to numbers but heaps of people don't even move which is why there is not where as much noise as there should be. :x

Ah, the Suncorp Stadium staff.

Pack of Nazi's, the lot of 'em.

:lol:

"Welcome to Suncorp Stadium. It is a condition of entry that you may not bring the following items into this venue:

* Flags or banners.
* Bottled water of more than 50mL.
* Bags (of any description).
* Food (of any description).
* Your voice (above 1 dcbl).

Whilst in the stadium you may not:

* Speak.
* Sing, cheer or chant.
* Stand at any time, even half time (unless you intend to purchase from the wide variety of 'well-priced' food and drink within the stadium).
* Interact in any way with fellow patrons.
* Express any sort of emotion.

Any breach of the above rules will result in immediate eviction from the Stadium. Backchat towards stadium security staff will result in further action being taken.

Thankyou, and enjoy you time at Suncorp Stadium"

Cheers.

DJ Raida

Bench
"Welcome to Suncorp Stadium. It is a condition of entry that you may not bring the following items into this venue:

* Flags or banners.
* Bottled water of more than 50mL.
* Bags (of any description).
* Food (of any description).
* Your voice (above 1 dcbl).

Whilst in the stadium you may not:

* Speak.
* Sing, cheer or chant.
* Stand at any time, even half time (unless you intend to purchase from the wide variety of 'well-priced' food and drink within the stadium).
* Interact in any way with fellow patrons.
* Express any sort of emotion.

Any breach of the above rules will result in immediate eviction from the Stadium. Backchat towards stadium security staff will result in further action being taken.

Thankyou, and enjoy you time at Suncorp Stadium"

Cheers.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rednecked Yobbo

Juniors
Being an eels fan, IMO, ever since they put those stupid bloody seats on the hills, the atmosphere has been down. Ah, to relive the glory days of standing up, cheering, getting pissed and falling over. On those hills, many have spilt blood, sweat and beers!

choc_soldier

Coach
panthers_gurl said:
parra_panther said:
LEEDS! said:

8)

WHAT YOUR CHANGING YOUR NAME :shock:

Yes.

The official "launch" should be sometime early next year... maybe sooner... ;-)

OVP

Coach
my eagle eye said:
By the way LEEDS! There is a group of Roosters supporters who are reasonable. It's not the chook pen but those in the bay to the left of the commentary boxes on the tunnel side of Aussie Stadium. When they do dish out a chant like they did a couple of times on Sunday it's actually not too bad.

I have to wonder whether this bloke actually went to any Rooster games at all. I think he's just jumping on the hate bandwagon. I know for a fact we outnumbered and outscreamed the Burrow and the super-frauds, the Dragon army this year. I bet he went to a Storm vs Roosters game and made his mind up then and there.

Southernsaint

Staff member
OVP said:
I have to wonder whether this bloke actually went to any Rooster games at all. I think he's just jumping on the hate bandwagon. I know for a fact we outnumbered and outscreamed the Burrow and the super-frauds, the Dragon army this year. I bet he went to a Storm vs Roosters game and made his mind up then and there.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers,
Ben S.

The Colonel

Immortal
Southernsaint said:
I thought that the club wanted to start a new group for next year, The Swamp, or something??

Cheers,
Ben S.

The Swamp became the Parramaniacs and wasn't a huge success aside from about 7 or 8 regulars. Something the club jumped on late and while people got involved they weren't the type of people that really got into the singing and chanting. Negotiations are currently taking place......

Zetland Zoo

Juniors
Southernsaint said:
OVP said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers,
Ben S.

OVP
You wouldn't have a biased view at all?
This bloke seems to be pretty reasonable, objective and methodical in his observations.
The Burrow are unashamedly modelled on pommy crowds because we believe that the atmosphere created is the best in the world (hooliganism aside).
We want strong supporter groups in all teams crowds, there is nothing better than verbal jousting in the stands.

Next time you play the Rabbitohs come over and say hello before the game.

Bunny Boy

Juniors
OVP said:
my eagle eye said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Typical reply from a Rooster muppet.
The best you will get out of the cock pen is..Roosters clapclapclap :lol:

LOL @ fact outchanting the Burrow! :lol: :lol: :lol:

OMG what a classic....

And even if the bloke did go to the Roosters vs Storm game whats your point? Both teams are in the top 8?

And with that above comment you just dug your hole. Part time muppets.

18,000 for a semi ? :oops:

Bunny Boy

Juniors
Raider_Azz said:
"You only sing when you're winning, sing when you're wiiiinnning! sing when you're winning!" :lol:

They dont even do that ! :lol:

BTW Azz, when I was in Canberra for the last round, I went to Mooseheads and saw few of the lower grade Canberra players there.

I saw "Boogs" their as well. He is much smaller in real life.

Had a chat to Terry Campese as well. Good bloke.