What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is Anfield

Kilkenny

Coach
Those of you who follow the English Premier League would be aware of the tunnel at the home of Liverpool Football Club. As the players walk down the tunnel on the way onto the ground there is a sign at head height which reads ' This is Anfield'. The Liverpool players reach up and touch the sign as they walk out onto the ground and it is a cultural and motivational tool.

Apparently Matt Elliot is introducing a similar motivational tool for the Panthers this season. As the Panthers walk from there new dressing room facilities in the new stand there tunnel will include murals of full size past and present Panthers greats.

This is great news.

Now all we need if for the team to play some decent footy...because whats written on the tunnel wall means jack if the team is crap.

*Sandy*

First Grade
Schillaci said:
What about a sign that says "this is penrith'?

I believe, the murals would have more of an impact than words.

Kilkenny,
Were you apart of the discussions on PI a year or two ago in regards to a "Legends Walk" or something like that? I remember some topic with an idea similar to this being discussed by fans and the interactive management as in Max C and Rob W. Was the idea originally from a forum fan?

Anyway pretty cool that Penrith have/or are doing something like this. Imagine being a rookie and your first time down the tunnel with all the greats as a mural watching you walk out. Oooh goose bumpy pride! :D

Dave Q

Coach
I would think that the preparation during the week, the fitness and skill training, the game plan, the pre-game speech and the atmosphere of the crowd may have a bigger impact on the players.

I imagine that some players will be so focused on their task ahead, it wouldnt neccessarily even register, especially after a dozen games-it would be part of the furniture.

But if brings about a more pleasurable experience for the fans and even a couple of players get something from it, well why not?

By way of a montage, you would have to emphasise Royce, the greatest Panther ever.

griffo346

First Grade
dave with royce being the greatest panther ever i dunno about that

there is plenty to pick from but i would put girds up there

Dave Q said:
By way of a montage, you would have to emphasise Royce, the greatest Panther ever.

Greg Alexander is the greatest panther ever.

Royce is the biggest hearted panther ever thats for sure.

Fitler is the greatest player to wear the penrith uniform

Panthagrey

Juniors
It seems Matt E wants to instill that penrith pride back into the team, make each player more inspirational then the last couple of years.:D

Anyway pretty cool that Penrith have/or are doing something like this. Imagine being a rookie and your first time down the tunnel with all the greats as a mural watching you walk out. Oooh goose bumpy pride! :D[/quote]

Agreed pk i get goose bumps just thinking of some of those faces and wondering what it would be like to walk down that tunnel.

nospam49 mate i think we all agree its time to stp focussing on the negatives and focus on the positives i think we are all agreed now its time to stop the childish fighting and insulting each other as well as the team.

As for who is the greatest panther ever we could go on all day royce fittler alexander carter sattler take your pick they would all have nominantions perhaps someone might like to start a poll say with the top 10 and we can narrow it down.

Macca_

Coach
Kilkenny said:
Those of you who follow the English Premier League would be aware of the tunnel at the home of Liverpool Football Club. As the players walk down the tunnel on the way onto the ground there is a sign at head height which reads ' This is Anfield'. The Liverpool players reach up and touch the sign as they walk out onto the ground and it is a cultural and motivational tool.
I have to say in the FA Cup and Carling Cups just recently it didn't really help Liverpool when they were rolled 3-1 and 6-3 by Arsenal to go out of both cups :D

As you were... :D

Dave Q

Coach
griffo346 said:
dave with royce being the greatest panther ever i dunno about that

there is plenty to pick from but i would put girds up there

Yeah, Girds slipped off my radar last night , I'll happily concede that he is also as deserved as Royce, maybe even moreso in some respects, so the image should be just as large.

I didnt want to start a top ten debate, just a few candidates for the stirring images. Contextually, lets have the images after a try or winning the Grand Final- lets associate them with the victory as opposed to smiling heads or arms folded.

Pound of pound, Gowie must rank as one of the best ever Panthers too but I dont know if his image should appear. Is he too contemporary? Is it insulting to him not to?

Do you put Brohman or Carroll up there? Both were elite in their day.

Its a pleasant dilemma to have so many champions to choose from.