What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is Anfield

griffo346

First Grade
Dave Q said:
Yeah, Girds slipped off my radar last night , I'll happily concede that he is also as deserved as Royce, maybe even moreso in some respects, so the image should be just as large.

I didnt want to start a top ten debate, just a few candidates for the stirring images. Contextually, lets have the images after a try or winning the Grand Final- lets associate them with the victory as opposed to smiling heads or arms folded.

Pound of pound, Gowie must rank as one of the best ever Panthers too but I dont know if his image should appear. Is he too contemporary? Is it insulting to him not to?

Do you put Brohman or Carroll up there? Both were elite in their day.

Its a pleasant dilemma to have so many champions to choose from.

Dave,

if you wanna talk about grnad final moments on the side of the tunnel maybe we should add in satlers tackle on byrne?

griffo346 said:
Dave,

if you wanna talk about grnad final moments on the side of the tunnel maybe we should add in satlers tackle on byrne?

Now it can be debated by all but surely in times past that would perhaps be one of the greatest moments in panthers history i know watching the panther gf dvd like i do often that still sends tingles up my spine.

As gowie well in time he deserves a picture on our wall as he will go down as one of the panthers greats at the same time so will priddis so arguably could presto and wesser.

But surely for now you stick with the greats not the greats of our team at present but past.

Hell there are so many geyer alexander girds fittler catrwright lang carter sattler thats just a hand full.

Dave Q

Coach
griffo346 said:
Dave,

Splendid suggestion, really out of the box, well done.

It wasnt just a great Panther moment, lets face the truth, it was one of the greatest ever rugby league moments.

The greatest tackle ever made, it has a certain pristine and dare I say it, spiritual, meaning for the entire code and all who follow it.

At some point Sattler was running close to an olympic 100m speed, just impossible, just inexplicable- but somehow he managed it. The execution itself, mere points of a tiny milimetre away from total disaster, was simply flawless. A genuine rugby league miracle. The paw of the panther indellibly etched into the games playing history as opposed to a stroke next to number of premierships won. Breathtaking.

This is a cheap and dodgy sporting world, but plays like this remind us of why we love this game.

So I am 100% behind you on this.

(cough)

No, Fittler doesnt cut it for mine.

We dont want to inadvertedly associate the Roosters with the Panthers.

Carter, Izzards, Wickey, Baker, Gerard, gosh you cant leave out Gerard!

The 'Cartwright problem', he deserves a show, but what if the Panthers are playing the Titans, will the integrity of the montage be compromised?

Maybe the club should employ psychologists to assist them with the selection process. B&W to aid the legends thing or colour?

Some images may work better than others, maybe that MG punch is genuinely symbolic of the intensity of which they are expected to play (not so much the manner in which they should play!).

And does Elliot play mind games with the players so when they see the images, they are not expected to draw something out them as individuals but its used as an aid to memory for a particular aspect of the game. A last second reminder of something he wants them to do.

A picture of That Tackle may work really well as a general prompt for defence.

Panthagrey

Juniors
Dont get me wrong guys i love that Sattler tackle on byrne what a classic but many dont seem to give him credit but i rate Big Tony P's tackle on Cross as just as good coz when god smiled down on Tony P and said "son wait here and have a breather " he was in perfect position to pull off a try saving pearler as well although not as spectacular as Scotty's mind blowing effort....:D

Sh*t if Matty Elliott can bring this out in the fans whats he gonna do with the players...bring it on....:D

Dave Q

Coach
Panthagrey said:
Dont get me wrong guys i love that Sattler tackle on byrne what a classic but many dont seem to give him credit but i rate Big Tony P's tackle on Cross as just as good coz when god smiled down on Tony P and said "son wait here and have a breather " he was in perfect position to pull off a try saving pearler as well although not as spectacular as Scotty's mind blowing effort....:D

Sh*t if Matty Elliott can bring this out in the fans whats he gonna do with the players...bring it on....:D

LOL

Its getting to the point now, with sugar, peanuts, gowie, priddo, Tony P all in contention for a space, well, I cant see the fairness in leaving out the camel.

And if the camel gets a guernsey, we may as well post up Clinton.

So our montage now has a number of current players and theres not a man women or child amongst us who thinks that Elliot is any less of a person, so he must qualify.

And our difficulty, our potential scuffle rests in those who may feel left out.

Then on the legend scale, half the current side qualify, the same team that missed out on the eight last year!!

So with no disrespect and the best of intentions, I say we need a current player lock-out on the montage.

So we get the current players to compete for a spot on the wall after retirement. A new and fresh honour to bestow, and lets face it, with potentially significantly more meaning that a spot in the Panther Players Album.

The club can finance the costs of the montage by selling photo-shoot opportunties with a couple of legends after big matches or by a visual video advertising sign above the montage which flips to a fresh ad every three seconds.

Your product gets guaranteed exposure every time the boys run out.

lainey

Juniors
What about the recently named "team of legends." I have the jersey with all the names and photos. My guess is they may use that....

*Sandy*

First Grade
That would be my guess to lainey, and I'm sure we wouldn't be the only ones. ;-) Not that anything posted here at LU would have a bearing on what is or has been painted on a wall. :crazy:

panther03

Juniors
I think it is a great idea, but I would not have the legends team picture up there, I would go with action shots, of the players in their prime, not as old men.

Kilkenny

Coach
Maybe Rob Weaver could clarify exactly what the plans for the tunnel will involve.

As far as I was led to believe it was the tunnel the first grade side will walk past from there dressing room prior to reaching the main tunnel. The opposition will not be required to walk thru or past the murals, it will be for our benieft only. Either way it is a positive motivational tool.

griffo346

First Grade
Kilkenny said:
Maybe Rob Weaver could clarify exactly what the plans for the tunnel will involve.

As far as I was led to believe it was the tunnel the first grade side will walk past from there dressing room prior to reaching the main tunnel. The opposition will not be required to walk thru or past the murals, it will be for our benieft only. Either way it is a positive motivational tool.

:lol: Rob doesnt give much away so i dont think he would give this away

choc_soldier

Coach
lainey said:
What about the recently named "team of legends." I have the jersey with all the names and photos. My guess is they may use that....

Somthing similar to this...

legendspainting.JPG

Panthagrey said:

Agreed grey that tackle by tony p was good and all but you have to wonder if its wise to stick that or gowie or priddo in at this present time, i dont think its wise i think we are better off sticking in guys from the past not the present.

I agree also on what this could do for the players.

We are loving the idea and to some degree are having a rather friedly debate on what should and shouldnt be there but the fact is no matter what may be there it give me tingles just thinking about it lol.

Dave Q

Coach
Why hog the glory?

No, I say let the world see the Panther champions, not just the current players.

The picture is OK, but much better to see Royce's celebratory leap after scoring in the first gf!

cainen

Juniors
The two should go hand in hand. Intimidation would be a consequence of the inspiration.

*Sandy*

First Grade
Once again I will say, if any further posts that do not stay on topic or are specifically meant to incite they will be moved like the previous ones. My last warning.

pantherz9103

First Grade
Great Idea. I'm a Liverpool and Penrith Panthers supporter too!

As long as we don't hark back to the Rodney 'O' days 'Welcome to the Jungle', that's a bit too americanised.

'This is Penrith'? I don't know, does it have the same feel to it?