What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is getting out of hand

Ladmate

Bench
First Hopoate, then Hasler, now Maloney. NRL needs to ban signing contracts in the off season that start A YEAR LATER. This damages the credibility of the game and makes it look completely amatuer.

cleary89

Coach
Bring back june 30. sure it hardly worked, but it meant unofficial signings in may, not november

andrew057

First Grade
First Hopoate, then Hasler, now Maloney. NRL needs to ban signing contracts in the off season that start A YEAR LATER. This damages the credibility of the game and makes it look completely amatuer.

Whats the problem with the Hopoate signing?

The Hopoate situation is different , he is leaving the game.

I wouldnt like a player signed to another club a year in advance but I also understand its a professional job and you couldnt question their commitment.

Frenzy.

Immortal

Those 3 examples are three different things. Apples, Oranges and Watermelons.

Nothing wrong with Hoppa signing now. He's out of the game for 2 years and should be planning in advance as he has.

Hasler, well, he was going to stay until it all got too ugly.

Maloney signing now gives the Warriors a chance to succession plan. It's not like they didn't know he was homesick and wanting to come back to Oz.

gUt

Coach
OF those 3 examples, only the Hasler situation seems amateur to me and even then it's kind of cool because it's added some theatre/drama/hate to the Dogs v Manly clashes next year.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
I can't think of another major professional sport in the world where people are playing for one club while they have signed to play with another team 12 months out.

I don't see June 30 helping, it was a farce to being with. Until they move to after season signings like every other major sport in the world then it will continue to be a problem.

OP stfu

I can't think of another major professional sport in the world where people are playing for one club while they have signed to play with another team 12 months out.

I don't see June 30 helping, it was a farce to being with. Until they move to after season signings like every other major sport in the world then it will continue to be a problem.

You may have heard of a little sport called soccer where players play for clubs on loan whilst contracted to other clubs.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I agree and i dont understand why the clubs themselves allow it as their are clear examples such as Idris were a players season goes flat after an announcment at the expense of his current club.

Tiime for free agency period, would give the off season the beginnings of some structure at the very least.

Cheops

Juniors
As a Warriors fan, I'm glad the Maloney situation is sorted now and we don't have to put up with all the distractions of speculation and negotiations throughout the year. It also gave us plenty of time to sort out a replacement.

Noa

First Grade
As a Warriors fan, I'm glad the Maloney situation is sorted now and we don't have to put up with all the distractions of speculation and negotiations throughout the year. It also gave us plenty of time to sort out a replacement.

But that could have been done behind closed doors. And if you think its the end of distractions wait till he misses a few tackles or goes right off the boil.

PaddyBoy

Juniors
In soccer, can't Bosmans (free transfers) be done 6 months in advance as well.

Have 2 transfer windows, big off season, small mid season.

Danish

Referee
I actually agree with this, despite being the club who signed Maloney.

Having what is surely an overs investment playing for another club for an entire season is ridiculous to me. The risk of injury, having to have your own players face off against your new player twice before joining you (including the player he is replacing)... Not to mention the fact that he has 12 months to lose form and suddenly the bloke we signed as a hero is now an outside the 8 hack.

A rule of immediate transfers on signings would be ideal

Perth Red

Post Whore
At least ity gives clubs opportunity to think anbout their cap spend and who they might target. Mothing worse than thinking he might stay, ties up a big part of the cap then he leaves and its too late to sign a replacement.

Tom Shines

First Grade
The main problem compared to football is the lack of a transfer fee, which would at least cushion the blow of losing a good player on contract.

krudmonk

Juniors
It's a joke that a player could play a single game for one team while having a future contracted elsewhere. The length of time is not the issue.