What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This time last year, Phil Gould was right… like him or loathe him..

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I
Ahhh right.

Captains flat… sounds like Ben Hunt at the moment..
The flat is just an old mining town in the middle of the bush, Forbes Creek is a place in the bush it’s not really a town, there aren’t any shops or anything my family used to do logging there, nice place, thick bush with a lot of tree ferns and stuff not much to there other than go shooting and kick a footy around with my brothers.

I have a feeling Hook is going to be worse than Mary when it comes to winning percentages (not duration at the club, I hope).
I fear the same.

I read many posts about his winning percentages previously as being a great thing when he came here. It’s not a bad thing but he inherited the Broncos from Bennett / Henjak (who’s winning % wasn’t much worse than Griffins) and the panthers after Gould’s rebuild with a juniors farm smashing all other teams in the lower grades.

He was sacked from both clubs.

I don’t want him sacked but the shitshow must stop next season if we are even considering to keep him on..

I

The flat is just an old mining town in the middle of the bush, Forbes Creek is a place in the bush it’s not really a town, there aren’t any shops or anything my family used to do logging there, nice place, thick bush with a lot of tree ferns and stuff not much to there other than go shooting and kick a footy around with my brothers.

Mate that sounds like paradise to me. Bliss..

Trifili13

Juniors
Just like we preferred to sign Tony Caine over Danny Buderus. ( So I've been told...)
Just like we offered Wayne Bennett only 3 years when he wanted 5.
Just like we pay overs to get average footballers showing that a) we have no faith in our juniors and b) that we can't attract top flight players at all or second-tier players without a sweetener.

We contested 4 grand finals in the 1990s, since then we have contested 1. Never mind the 31 year Premiership drought - it is 11 years since we contested a Grand Final - which is the longest break between Grand Finals for a St George ( or faux St George ) team since the 1930s. And I don't see that changing in 2022 with a team of disinterested journeymen, coached by a guy with the personality of a beige matchstick with the sulphur scratched off.
I remember reading something around the time of Buderus retiring and all the stories about his career that choosing Caine over Buderus was a mix up. Caine had trialled crap and Buderus was the one who trialled well but the selectors f%$%ed up and got the jersey numbers or face wrong or something like that and chose Caine when in fact they wanted Buderus. They might have even told Buderus on the day that they wanted him so he was waiting for the confirmation phone call that never came, meanwhile Caine got the call and the rest is history. Someone else might also be able to confirm this story.

Dorsai

Juniors
I agree with a lot of what you say..

On the juniors though, Mgregor did bring a number of them through. When Griffin turned up he talked of a junior structure, bringing them through etc… but aside from Sloan and Amone, (both used sparingly) who else has been given their first taste of NRL?

Instead he’s signed guys like Beale, McGuire, McCullough. We even were looking at Israel effing Folau at one point…

I could live with the results and (rightful) position on the ladder now if Griffin had bought through a bunch of juniors Into grade rather than has-beens and crocks like he’s signed. That would be a true investment in the future.

Instead we’ve now got numerous juniors who haven’t played competitive level Rugby league for the most part of 2 years. And hasbeens/crocks still blocking a path in the top flight.
The big difference I see between Griffin and McIdiot is that they keep getting a run with Griffin. In the old days, they would be used because we had injuries and basically we had no choice. Once the player was over the injury the junior was back in reserve never to be heard of again.

I could be wrong but if we could do stats over a 12 month period of juniors used consistently would Griffin come out on top? I still consider Ramsey to be a junior of sorts. He may of debuted under McIdiot but he was awful keen to through anyone on the wing rather than play him if he could.

With regards Beale, McGuire, & McCulloch, I think they are on the cheap, signed to short term contracts that will only enhance the confidence (at the end of the day) of our rebuild group as they start to come through.

I am not a fan of Griffin. I am just not ready to throw him out with the bathwater just yet considering what he has inherited. Don't forget with COVID a lot of the junior league has been disrupted and therefore development there has been stunted as well. Don't I wish for a sheer talent like a Cleary or Trbojevic. A player that could just turn your team around.

Any coach has a tough job. Its a tightrope between junior development and proven talent. Hopefully we can get it right in the near future and let some of us supporters at least have something to cheer about.

Like I said at the start of the year, you don't have to beat the good sides to make the 8, but you do have to beat the shit sides.
Your mob are flying mate. We could have snared the guy who rebuilt your club but instead we got two coaches that were sacked from it.

The Dragons are shit and get beaten by shit. Worst Dragons season in my lifetime as a fan. There is no heart or sole in this club.

Good luck to you in the semi finals.. we need a telescope to see finals football.. it’s lightyears away..

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
Personal opinion. The 2nd half of this season since the BBQ has sucked the guts out of my support. I hope like hell each week for a miracle and get very disappointed. As a Dragons supporter of 50+ years the McIdiot years were hard to take. This year I think we all thought a light had been turned on and we would somehow shoot to the top end of the table. I must admit I thought that as well.

We are in a rebuilding phase. Other teams do it. We recognise that. They are shyte during that phase and hopefully come out the other end a better group. We have a mis match of a playing group with some players capable of brilliance. The trouble is most of that brilliance has been coached out of them over the last 8 years.

We, as hard as it is, need to put our pride away for a bit to see where the team goes from here. I myself look at some of the signings and say WTF? But I have got to think, we have junior players that need some guidance. We need some experience on the field whilst we rebuild. That is why most are short term signings. Give these younger players a chance to play with talented player, yes in their latter years, but talented all the same and build skill sets.

None of us are patient. I know I am not. Most Dragons supporters were used to featuring in this end of the premiership race, even if we eventually get knocked out. At least we almost always got there. Its hard to sit back in the semis and not see the Red V feature in these games.

I am reluctantly willing to wait and watch whilst Griffin builds his team. A bit here, a bit there. He is getting them cheap. He is bringing the juniors through. Something McIdiot never did. I have no issues with the players he has let go yet. You either play for the team as part of thee team or play somewhere else. I wish there was more meat on the bones of some of these young players like Sloan and Ramsey. They have talent. We have a wealth of it there just waiting. I agree we need to have some experience there to guide them as well so I will give him a chance. Hell we had McIdiot there doing squat for 8 years. I at least see some method. I think we need to be a bit patient.

All these big forwards next year should allow these slight backs to perform better. Gain confidence and give them room to showcase there wares. We need 1 or 2 marquee signings and I think he is on the right track.

We do need however to get behind the team. Maybe not the board or the hangers on. Separate those cronies. Lets concentrate on the team. I am willing to hold my vote to see where Griffin is going for a bit longer.
Dorsai, a balanced and very reasonable post. I agree with all you say.

denis preston

First Grade
Your mob are flying mate. We could have snared the guy who rebuilt your club but instead we got two coaches that were sacked from it.

The Dragons are shit and get beaten by shit. Worst Dragons season in my lifetime as a fan. There is no heart or sole in this club.

Good luck to you in the semi finals.. we need a telescope to see finals football.. it’s lightyears away..
Jebus, when is the last time you and your mate wrote a positive thread ?

Trifili13

Juniors
Like I said at the start of the year, you don't have to beat the good sides to make the 8, but you do have to beat the shit sides.
Agree, the Gummies are living proof of that. Although I am generalising, teams that finish say 9 to 14 share the points in games against each other and maybe jag a win against a top 8 team and end up with say 16 to 20 points like us and consistently miss the semis.

blacksafake

First Grade
I remember reading something around the time of Buderus retiring and all the stories about his career that choosing Caine over Buderus was a mix up. Caine had trialled crap and Buderus was the one who trialled well but the selectors f%$%ed up and got the jersey numbers or face wrong or something like that and chose Caine when in fact they wanted Buderus. They might have even told Buderus on the day that they wanted him so he was waiting for the confirmation phone call that never came, meanwhile Caine got the call and the rest is history. Someone else might also be able to confirm this story.
Have heard this story a few times over the years & I have a feeling even Buderus has told it?

@Bring back John Fifita Nice to see you’re not a Mary supporter. That would be a bit weird.

Not really but I get what you mean.

i just didn’t hate him, blame him or want him sacked like many others. Since 2019 the issues at our club were many and ran deep - not just at the feet of Mary. Change doesn’t necessarily mean good, it just means different.

To me we aren’t any better this season, just different. Time will tell if that changes.

Not really but I get what you mean.

i just didn’t hate him, blame him or want him sacked like many others. Since 2019 the issues at our club were many and ran deep - not just at the feet of Mary. Change doesn’t necessarily mean good, it just means different.

To me we aren’t any better this season, just different. Time will tell if that changes.
I think we’re better off because a) no more Mary and b) we’re soon to be rid of Corey.

The club’s issues go deeper than Mary and Norman. Way deeper. We can both agree on that.