What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This time last year, Phil Gould was right… like him or loathe him..

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Personal opinion. The 2nd half of this season since the BBQ has sucked the guts out of my support. I hope like hell each week for a miracle and get very disappointed. As a Dragons supporter of 50+ years the McIdiot years were hard to take. This year I think we all thought a light had been turned on and we would somehow shoot to the top end of the table. I must admit I thought that as well.

We are in a rebuilding phase. Other teams do it. We recognise that. They are shyte during that phase and hopefully come out the other end a better group. We have a mis match of a playing group with some players capable of brilliance. The trouble is most of that brilliance has been coached out of them over the last 8 years.

We, as hard as it is, need to put our pride away for a bit to see where the team goes from here. I myself look at some of the signings and say WTF? But I have got to think, we have junior players that need some guidance. We need some experience on the field whilst we rebuild. That is why most are short term signings. Give these younger players a chance to play with talented player, yes in their latter years, but talented all the same and build skill sets.

None of us are patient. I know I am not. Most Dragons supporters were used to featuring in this end of the premiership race, even if we eventually get knocked out. At least we almost always got there. Its hard to sit back in the semis and not see the Red V feature in these games.

I am reluctantly willing to wait and watch whilst Griffin builds his team. A bit here, a bit there. He is getting them cheap. He is bringing the juniors through. Something McIdiot never did. I have no issues with the players he has let go yet. You either play for the team as part of thee team or play somewhere else. I wish there was more meat on the bones of some of these young players like Sloan and Ramsey. They have talent. We have a wealth of it there just waiting. I agree we need to have some experience there to guide them as well so I will give him a chance. Hell we had McIdiot there doing squat for 8 years. I at least see some method. I think we need to be a bit patient.

All these big forwards next year should allow these slight backs to perform better. Gain confidence and give them room to showcase there wares. We need 1 or 2 marquee signings and I think he is on the right track.

We do need however to get behind the team. Maybe not the board or the hangers on. Separate those cronies. Lets concentrate on the team. I am willing to hold my vote to see where Griffin is going for a bit longer.
Well thought out post

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Just like we preferred to sign Tony Caine over Danny Buderus. ( So I've been told...)
Just like we offered Wayne Bennett only 3 years when he wanted 5.
Just like we pay overs to get average footballers showing that a) we have no faith in our juniors and b) that we can't attract top flight players at all or second-tier players without a sweetener.

We contested 4 grand finals in the 1990s, since then we have contested 1. Never mind the 31 year Premiership drought - it is 11 years since we contested a Grand Final - which is the longest break between Grand Finals for a St George ( or faux St George ) team since the 1930s. And I don't see that changing in 2022 with a team of disinterested journeymen, coached by a guy with the personality of a beige matchstick with the sulphur scratched off.
Actually, St George contested two Grand Finals / Premiership deciders in the 1930s. Since our first sesson in 1921, St George has been there every decade, until now.

2011-2020 is the only decade where the Club has not made a Grand Final appearance. And we only just snuck in at the end of the previous decade.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
If we don’t make the grand final next year…..

It’ll be the longest period without a grand final appearance (since their inception) in the clubs history since 1921

The previous longest period was/is…. From 1999 to 2010..

Our premiership in 2010 was one that long before, I’d resigned myself to the likelihood I’d never see. And I’m thankful that I was there to see it with my own eyes. But aside from that, a few bright seasons under Brownie and 2018, it’s been an absolute mess.

Our club used to have a soul. It used to have grit. With the JV it has lost all of that. Only Bennett succeeded at rekindling it. I fear no-one else will for a long long time.
We're already in the longest period without a Grand Final appearance. We appeared in the 1999 GF.

denis preston

First Grade
This is why we need to f**k off the Illawarra. They've dragged us down to their pathetic level and turned us into losers.

"Superclub" my elbow...
Some on here live in dreamland and in the past. The demerge is never going to happen and even if it did it would give the NRL the perfect excuse to relocate the Dragons. The Gordons are bad but the Leagues club board is not much better. The only shining light is they both appear to be giving Webby a lot of freedom to run the show without the bloody board getting in the way. Now if Webby could only convince the Gordons that 3rd party is a good idea !

Some on here live in dreamland and in the past. The demerge is never going to happen and even if it did it would give the NRL the perfect excuse to relocate the Dragons. The Gordons are bad but the Leagues club board is not much better. The only shining light is they both appear to be giving Webby a lot of freedom to run the show without the bloody board getting in the way. Now if Webby could only convince the Gordons that 3rd party is a good idea !

- Be a dopey Illawarra loser
- Tell St George to go on a merry lil joint adventure with them so together we become a sOuPeRcLuBb
- Superclub never eventuates
- Continue to be a dopey Illawarra loser and tell St George to continue on their merry lil joint adventure with them otherwise "tHe NrL wIlL rElOcAtE tEh DrAgOnS bEcAuSe ThErE's ToO mAnY sYdNeY tEaMs"

*Illawarra logic*

2f657ae83b3d894219ea80b5d6ed7d27--ghostface-killah-hiphop.jpg

Draginzaaar

Bench
Yeah but they are all grown men and professional athletes. Does a halftime speech really have that much impact? Never did for me. Everyone knows if they were playing shit or not it’s just a chance to catch your breath and reset. Our problems lie in the fact we are error ridden and don’t have a good enough pack. We end up on the wrong side of the possession stats for way too long a period and are too gassed. My hope is Hunt is fully fit all year and the new additions to the pack make a difference. Without a doubt Sua and Molo should.
Most players say they don't even listen to the half time coach's chat.

We're already in the longest period without a Grand Final appearance. We appeared in the 1999 GF.
Yeah mate I'd quoted 1999-2010. So 11 years then, and 11 years currently.. next year will be 12...

That aside, when do we look likely to make out next one.... ie - how long will this "new record" stretch to..

I genuinely thought in 2018 we were on song to make it back. But it's all gone Pete Tong from 2019 onwards.

Lindsay Moss

Juniors
This is why we need to f**k off the Illawarra. They've dragged us down to their pathetic level and turned us into losers.

"Superclub" my elbow...
I have been a dragons supporter since i was six if you think the club would be any better run with just doust and company your crazy. Then add in no juniors wake up sunshine it needs people who are good at their job give hook and new board a little bit of time. Enjoy the off season hopefully we all get some good news.

Trifili13

Juniors
I wasn't on this forum back when Bennett was coach. I would guess however that there wasn't this angst about splitting the merger as we were strong on the park as Bennett was left alone to run the show. So for me the merger is not the issue, it's that the people at the top are not making the right calls. If in a parallel universe Doust was able to get Bellamy or anyone else as coach, like he did with Bennett, and they makes us a consistent top 4 team, would people still want the merger to end?

I wasn't on this forum back when Bennett was coach. I would guess however that there wasn't this angst about splitting the merger as we were strong on the park as Bennett was left alone to run the show. So for me the merger is not the issue, it's that the people at the top are not making the right calls. If in a parallel universe Doust was able to get Bellamy or anyone else as coach, like he did with Bennett, and they makes us a consistent top 4 team, would people still want the merger to end?
All true however he often referred to the club as St George.

I have been a dragons supporter since i was six if you think the club would be any better run with just doust and company your crazy. Then add in no juniors wake up sunshine it needs people who are good at their job give hook and new board a little bit of time. Enjoy the off season hopefully we all get some good news.
That's your view and I respect it. You enjoy the off-season, too.

the first 13 minutes of yesterday's second half is all down to a piss poor effort by the players.
Yes and the senior players need to stand up and cop it sweet. No point blaming the three amigos.. they are still babes in nappies.

Gould was scathing on the club. So what are the new boards plans to turn this once famous club back into a footy club that commands respect. Having a dual identity is a major problem imo.. two home bases, two home grounds, two jumpers. Loyalties must be divided..

Last edited:
As a lifetime Saints man is there any chance we can go it alone again. The Taj Mahal once reined supreme over this club. Can it do it again. I hope to hell it can. As I said previous there are still nine dedicated Saints junior clubs that I imagine field full teams every week. I expect all those kids aspire to wear the famous Red V and belong to a stand alone St George footy club.

Last edited:

Trifili13

Juniors
Not sure how strong the junior comp in the St George district is and whether the clubs field players in all age divisions. I went and watched an U14's game last year between Kogarah Cougars and Kurnell at Todd Park. Not sure if it was due to insufficient numbers in the St George comp or the Sutho comp.

I know however that junior soccer numbers are strong in the district and a lot of money is being spent in building synthetic pitches which from my understanding cost about $4m each and there are 4 up and running, 3 more being built, on top of the new complex next to the aquatic centre at Hurstville.

Demographics have changed in the district and when you are not successful as a club, it's very hard to attract new supporters. What is to attract a new supporter? Come and watch us drop the ball, miss tackles and come 12th.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
As a lifetime Saints man is there any chance we can go it alone again. The Taj Mahal once reined supreme over this club. Can it do it again. I hope to hell it can. As I said previous there are still nine dedicated Saints junior clubs that I imagine field full teams every week. I expect all those kids aspire to wear the famous Red V and belong to a stand alone St George footy club.
It may be a nice thought for some, but that ship sailed 23 years ago, and it won't be returning to port. Time to look ahead at how the club can realistcally lift itself out of mediocrity and be a force in the premiership. I see our future success, as many others do, in bringing the (mainly Illawarra) juniors through to NRL level. That is a long term project, so I can hope for instant success, but can't be too disappointed if it takes a while. We are not going to get Bellamy or Bennett to coach us, so stick with Hook for his contract, then see what is available. Unfortunately, I can't see an instant fix to 10 years of neglect. Trust Ryan Webb to steer the ship on the right course! I am looking forward to 2022 already!

Trifili13

Juniors
I know alot are saying top 8 minimum next year otherwise Hook gets the bullet. For me, if we fall say 1 game short and can see real progress, with fewer dropped balls, 6 agains, and better defense, and a real sense that the club is progressing then I would be happy to keep him on. If he is still there in 2023 and we don't make semis, then he would have had 3 years and time to give someone else a go.

denis preston

First Grade
I know alot are saying top 8 minimum next year otherwise Hook gets the bullet. For me, if we fall say 1 game short and can see real progress, with fewer dropped balls, 6 agains, and better defense, and a real sense that the club is progressing then I would be happy to keep him on. If he is still there in 2023 and we don't make semis, then he would have had 3 years and time to give someone else a go.
T13, if we improve in these areas you mentioned we WILL make the 8 and with the added inclusion of 4 or 5 new players top 8 should be a pass mark only. If the coaches cant fix the defense, dropped balls & 6 again's they don't deserve resigning. I believe they can but if not the 2 year contract will be a godsend for us.

Dragonslayer

First Grade

Interesting scenarios that some (not you T13) have put forward re: Hook

1. Be in the top 8 by round 6
2. Be in the top 8 by round 10
3. Be playing finals football

Applying this logic, only scenario 3 seems to be his only exit. Even this year, we were in the top 8 up until round 20.

We have by far a superior squad next year, compared to this year. Several players would have a full pre-season as will the juniors. The new recruits, and we are still in the market place for at least another 3 players, are of higher quality than we've attempted to recruit in the last 10 years.

ALL teams will improve next year, especially if we can return to some normality with COVID. We just have to improve exponentially faster than them.

There is also the "plan". What is the best 'plan' to see us thrive for next year, 3 years, 5 years. Like changing a manager in a business, each will change the 'plan' to suit themselves, in some cases the 'plan' backfires horribly.

Hook has a Club option for '23, making the 8 should be only 1 of many KPI's that he would have to meet, as there are many variables that could impact our season, and we have seen that this year. Take TTurbo out of Manly, as he was earlier in the season, and they are 'ordinary' at best and do they make the 8 without him.

I'm not an advocate of Hook, nor am I a detractor. He's done some really good things, and he's done some questionable things. It all depends on what the "plan" is moving forward with or without him.

Latest posts