What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thompson deserves to play for NSW just as much as Fitzgibbon

JJ

Immortal
borat said:
Chippo Raiders said:
tiger_nick said:
If Lance Thompson plays Origin then 90% of the Dragons team would have played rep football. Makes it kinda pathetic when you look at where they finish every year.

Exactly my point..... there must be some real poor excuses of players in the cracks for St George.

And Borat YOU are of the opinion the general public underrate Lance Thompson, don't make the same mistake you hypocrite

How many rep players do Canberra or the Tigers have again? How many are on the Roo tour? How many played state of origin? You can cry all you like, make as many excuses as you like, come with as many conspiracy theories you like, but at the end of the day Canberra and the Wests Tigers are sh*te because they have sh*te players. This is why they don't make rep selection. Deal with it. For crying out loud, Michael Hodgson of all people. He is not up to PL standard let alone rep selection. So chippo why don't you and Tiger Nick rechannel your energy into some more Tigers vs raiders threads to decides who gets the 05 wooden spoon eh!

The Raiders have hardly been sh*te over the last few years - no more sh*te than the Dragons anyway.

Obvioulsy there's a problem there - all those rep players, yet continually mediocre... I have no problems with those guys playing rep footy (except Timmins, I just don't get that one), but as a team they pretty much suck

borat

Bench
Chippo Raiders said:
And Borat YOU are of the opinion the general public underrate Lance Thompson, don't make the same mistake you hypocrite

Care to quote me on that idiot. I never once said that the public underate Thompson. I beleive Thompson actually gets the wraps he deserves and thats why he was on the brink of NSW selection before injury took it away from him. Its just uneducated idiots like you that think otherwise.

borat

Bench
JJ said:
The Raiders have hardly been sh*te over the last few years - no more sh*te than the Dragons anyway.

Obvioulsy there's a problem there - all those rep players, yet continually mediocre... I have no problems with those guys playing rep footy (except Timmins, I just don't get that one), but as a team they pretty much suck

I agree with you on the dragons. We have outstanding Individual players who deserve rep footy, however they don't seem to play well as a team. This has always been our problem, despite our injury record. If we pull together then look out.

borat

Bench
Chippo Raiders said:
Well if he were to play origin who would he replace

This was my earlier post on this topic

On the thread topic, as a dragons supporter I can admit that Fitzgibbon and Hindmarsh are the top 2 second rowers in the game. But IMO there is not much between Ryan and Thompson and had it not been for injury Thomspon would have secured an origin spot because his early season form was better than Ryan. Ryan's form in the latter part of the season better.

I of course neglected to include Mason who is also infront of Thompson but I did so because that is a giver.

JJ

Immortal
Chippo Raiders said:
I read that but who would he replace NOW and if Mason is a given then why did you mention Hindmarsh and Fitzgibbon

Hindmarsh and Fitzgibbon will start. mason will continue to be a bench player, playing 2nd row or prop.

Plus, he needs to continue his current form and commitment

JJ

Immortal
Steve Simpson - yeah, if he stays fit he's right up there. O'Donnell was superb, needs to keep that up, Thompson too, and Morrison is another...

borat

Bench
Chippo Raiders said:
I read that but who would he replace NOW and if Mason is a given then why did you mention Hindmarsh and Fitzgibbon

Chippo, I never started this thread and I don't have to agree with every thread started by a Dragons supporter.

OK the thread title stated Thompson desevred an origin spot as much as Fitzbibbon. I don't agree. Fitzgibbon and Hindmarsh are the best 2nd rowers in the world. Mason is as good but I class him as a better impact player from the bench. I basically just forgot to include him in my earlier post.

When SOO teams were selected in 04 I would have THompson infront of Ryan because his form in the first half of the season was awesome, better then previous years and deserving of a NSW bench spot. However, Thompson got injured, Ryan's form improved out of sight and was a contributing factor in the dogs premiership win.

So to answer your question, as of right now I don't think Thompson would warrant a spot infront of Ryan.

After that I would say Thompson and O'Donnell on a par. Steve Simpson played 3 or 4 games all year so he can hardly be considered. Michael Hodsgon is further down the list.

IMO Lance Thompson can earn that NSW jersey if he re-captures his 04 early season form.

Chippo Raiders

Juniors
I am not having a go at you, in fact up until now I never referred to you BUT all I wanted was things in perspective, my point was with Michael Hodgson is that guys who do the dirty work lie under the radar.

You attacked me not the other way around so really Lance Thompson to me, not to Raiders supporters in general or the general public is a player that is consistently good but never quite in that category of outstanding backrowers, and if you had read me I said Dean Young however will become a better backrower and has blue in his blood, I am not having a go at him cause he is a Dragon, phhhf knowing Ricky he'll skip all on our lists and choose Anthony Tupou

Raiders Plight

Juniors
JJ said:
Thompson has been very unlucky...

For mine, Hindmarsh is the first picked. Mason is picked because of the extra impact he has.

Then Fitzgibbon, Ryan and Thompson are pretty much equal.

As melon pointed out, the goalkicking is a huge advantage for Fitzgibbon - but Johns should be back next year, so that no longer matters. All 3 would be fine, but you've got to pick the red head, don't you???

Stuart will pick the Roosters players - but Thompson is twice the backrower Timmins is...

Fitzgibbon is the best second rower in the world IMO. Should be one of the first players to be picked for Australia.

borat

Bench
Chippo Raiders said:
I am not having a go at you, in fact up until now I never referred to you BUT all I wanted was things in perspective, my point was with Michael Hodgson is that guys who do the dirty work lie under the radar.

You attacked me not the other way around so really Lance Thompson to me, not to Raiders supporters in general or the general public is a player that is consistently good but never quite in that category of outstanding backrowers, and if you had read me I said Dean Young however will become a better backrower and has blue in his blood, I am not having a go at him cause he is a Dragon, phhhf knowing Ricky he'll skip all on our lists and choose Anthony Tupou

Fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion and tone of my posts was uncalled for.

IMO Thompson is a fringe origin player, has been a recent fixture in City/Country games and deserves the credit when talked about as an origin hopeful. I don't think he surpasses the current crop but is the best of the outsiders.

Chippo Raiders

Juniors
Thats where I sit too, he is a good consistent player BUT when you look at Hindmarsh, Ryan etc he is a great clubman, always will be.

tiger_nick

Bench
borat said:
Chippo Raiders said:
tiger_nick said:
If Lance Thompson plays Origin then 90% of the Dragons team would have played rep football. Makes it kinda pathetic when you look at where they finish every year.

Exactly my point..... there must be some real poor excuses of players in the cracks for St George.

How many rep players do Canberra or the Tigers have again? How many are on the Roo tour? How many played state of origin? You can cry all you like, make as many excuses as you like, come with as many conspiracy theories you like, but at the end of the day Canberra and the Wests Tigers are sh*te because they have sh*te players. This is why they don't make rep selection. Deal with it. For crying out loud, Michael Hodgson of all people. He is not up to PL standard let alone rep selection. So chippo why don't you and Tiger Nick rechannel your energy into some more Tigers vs raiders threads to decides who gets the 05 wooden spoon eh!

Where the hell did I say anything about the tigers or the raiders????????? It is impossible to have a sensible arguement with you.

The Dragons on paper are ten times better then both teams, no arguements there.

I am not crying at all that Tiger players arent getting picked! WHERE DID I SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THAT??!

IF the tigers had 10 rep players in their starting line-up and still had the Dragons results of the last few years I would be deadset devastated with my team performances.

borat

Bench
tiger_nick said:
Where the hell did I say anything about the tigers or the raiders????????? It is impossible to have a sensible arguement with you.

I am not crying at all that Tiger players arent getting picked! WHERE DID I SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THAT??!

IF the tigers had 10 rep players in their starting line-up and still had the Dragons results of the last few years I would be deadset devastated with my team performances.

Well good for you. About 10 years too late Tiger Nick. Debate moved on from there long ago.

But for the record Lance Thompson wouldn't be out of place in a blue jumper and would walk into any tigers side any day of the week. So if you want to throw stones like
tiger_nick said:

Expect a return idiot!! You can dish it out but can't take any heat yourself. Just Pathetic actually! You without doubt take the award for the biggest whinger on LU.

tiger_nick

Bench
borat said:
tiger_nick said:

Well good for you. About 10 years too late Tiger Nick. Debate moved on from there long ago.

But for the record Lance Thompson wouldn't be out of place in a blue jumper and would walk into any tigers side any day of the week. So if you want to throw stones like
tiger_nick said:

Expect a return idiot!! You can dish it out but can't take any heat yourself. Just Pathetic actually! You without doubt take the award for the biggest whinger on LU.

I'm sorry that I have a life and don't sit on here waiting for people to reply to my messages. If I come on here every couple of days whats wrong with that? Get off your computer and move into the real world

I'm fine to take it. But only if its something to do with my arguement. Your the kind of person that when discussing the split between a dinner bill will say something like 'oh but remember 3 weeks ago when I paid for your movie ticket' or something ridiculous like that. Your the one that can't take it or win an argument mate! ;-)

tiger_nick

Bench
For the record I actually played juniors and went to school with Lance. I would love him to wear the sky blue jumper and when he was in school I had no doubts he would. However St.George have turned him into a boring footballer. When Lance was a teenager he was a sensational ball playing lock who also had a great kicking game. When picked for Saints while still in high school they told him to just worry about taking the ball up and making tackles and not to make any mistakes and played him in the unfamiliar second row position. They left him there and turned him into the footballer he is today, good and solid but nothing spectacular. He could and should have been so much more...

borat

Bench
tiger_nick said:
I'm sorry that I have a life and don't sit on here waiting for people to reply to my messages. If I come on here every couple of days whats wrong with that? Get off your computer and move into the real world

I'm fine to take it. But only if its something to do with my arguement. Your the kind of person that when discussing the split between a dinner bill will say something like 'oh but remember 3 weeks ago when I paid for your movie ticket' or something ridiculous like that. Your the one that can't take it or win an argument mate! ;-)

And there we have it. You can't accept criticsm. You happy to have a go at anyone but as soon as its turned around you squeel like little schoolgirl. If its your arguement. What is that crap. If you actually took the time to read the posts before shooting your mouth off you would see that I later admitted being out of line. Hence the debate had moved on.

You are disgrace to Tigers supporters, you cannot see through your bias and statements like

St.George have turned him into a boring footballer
just prove how out of touch with reality you are. And all of this crap coming from a supporter of a team that can't even produce one decent player. I say it again, Lance Thompson would walk into the Tigers team any day of the week. he surpasses any forward the Tigers have by a country mile.

Or what about this gem

Your the kind of person that when discussing the split between a dinner bill will say something like 'oh but remember 3 weeks ago when I paid for your movie ticket' or something ridiculous like that

Care to elaborate. I'm dying to hear it. Did I bring up something from 3 weeks ago? Have I been to dinner? I bet it sounded really good in your head before you typed it anyway.

For the record, I have a great life and a great job that pays me to surf the net whenever I feel. But thanks for the concern anyway.

If you are going to bother replying to this post how about making a point.