What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thompson deserves to play for NSW just as much as Fitzgibbon

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
oh and a big :lol: :lol: :lol: to the "he got carried because he plays for the Dogs"

If players were being carried because they played for Canterbury, Sherwin would be halfback.

Johns Magic

Referee
Stats don't mean sh*t mate, the performance in the game by him all year proved it.

Stats reflect performances. He is a forward, supposed to make yards and tackles.

Refer to those rounds I said above and you'll see exactly why he got selected

He got selected for State of Origin because he played well after it was over :-s

If you had it your way I'm guessing Johns would've been selected without playing a game since April for the Australian side, had he been fit.

No he wouldn't have been my choice actually. Even Sherwin would have been ahead of him.

However, a stat I think shows what a versatile player he is - top tryscoring forward in 2004.

Naturally if you play in a winning side you score more tries...
It was the players around him who set him up.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
J M: *He should have typo on my part. sorry.

R&B K: How does me using that make your argument any less wrong?

if you read my last sentence you'd know I was pointing out on the insistence of use of stats to prove me wrong. IMO the tryscoring tally of Ryan shows much more than any of the hit-up or tackle stats that can be bandied around. Just watching the bloke on-field, stats or not, proved to me that the NSW selectors made the wrong choice. Oh well, no sweat off my back, he's got his rightful place in the Green & Gold now

Chippo Raiders

Juniors
I am of the belief you need 1 or 2 statmen in your team and 1 or 2 dictating forwards as well, eg Fitzgibbon and Ricketson + Cayless and Morley or Grimaldi + O' Meley and Mason + Asotasi the best forwards are those which incorporate both...Hindmarsh, O Meley.

If you look at the stats, Gorden Tallis was a worse defender than Mark McLinden but we know which one you'd prefer in the second row

Jimbo

Immortal
Lance Thompson is an anchor, who should consider himself lucky to have played City/Country

God-King Dean

Immortal
Jimbo said:
Lance Thompson is an anchor, who should consider himself lucky to have played City/Country

Luck had nothing to do with it. A fellow Dragons supporter asked Gould if Thompson was a chance at selection, & he responded "He's very close"

Anchor eh? He has higher stats than all your forwards, which means Sharks must be.......

:sleeper:

Mr Saab

Referee
stats only count for sooooooooooo much mr immortal. Dont base a player solely on stats.
Say next yr Finch has more off loads, try assists, 40 20s than A Johns in 2005..does that mean Finch is better than Johns? NO chance.

Chippo Raiders

Juniors
Immortal said:
Jimbo said:

Luck had nothing to do with it. A fellow Dragons supporter asked Gould if Thompson was a chance at selection, & he responded "He's very close"

Anchor eh? He has higher stats than all your forwards, which means Sharks must be.......

:sleeper:

Paul Gallen and Danny Nutley...phhf and Canberra have Michael Hodgson who does all Thompson does but makes more tackles....hits harder, makes more hit ups.....hits harder....whats the point

Mr Saab

Referee
Immortal said:
No it doesn't, but play-makers & forwards are 2 different things & are judged much differently

no, not really
halves are just as scutinised as the forwards in comparison with each other in their respective positions.
Halves are judged upon in try assists, 40 20s, kicking yards.
back rowers are judged on tackles, hit ups, dominant tackles, play the ball speed, metres gained.

Chippo Raiders

Juniors
Thompson is a clubman for sure but I still don't see what the fuss is about, not when Hindmarsh makes 55 tackles and 100m in a game

I'd have Lance Thompson in my side any day.

I love the way the bloke plays, he gives it all for Saints and he wouldn't let the Blues down.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Chippo Raiders said:
Thompson is a clubman for sure but I still don't see what the fuss is about, not when Hindmarsh makes 55 tackles and 100m in a game

True, but I'm saying that Thompson is a player deserving of getting into Origin, not that he should be there neccessarily

God-King Dean

Immortal
Charlie Saab said:
Immortal said:
No it doesn't, but play-makers & forwards are 2 different things & are judged much differently

no, not really
halves are just as scutinised as the forwards in comparison with each other in their respective positions.
Halves are judged upon in try assists, 40 20s, kicking yards.
back rowers are judged on tackles, hit ups, dominant tackles, play the ball speed, metres gained.

Once stat which I'd love to see shown is the average time it takes a forward to play the ball. Quick play-the-balls are the key to winning footy games

Chippo Raiders

Juniors
Immortal said:
Chippo Raiders said:

True, but I'm saying that Thompson is a player deserving of getting into Origin, not that he should be there neccessarily

Look your a Dragons supporter so I understand your point of view but I have watched him for ages now and I don't see what the fuss is, I am not having a go, I used to think the same for other players who were rated by media and such. I would love to see players from my teams get higher honuors as would you, personally Dean Young will leap frog him in short time, put your effort into him, I like his style of play

Latest posts