What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thought- RE Andrew Johns

eelz47

Coach
The Colonel said:
The 'c' word doesn't get used in my house.....

nor in ours, bloody canterbury.......................

joey has been swearing at refs and officals for awhile now. big sook

Redback71

First Grade
what he does is not the point, the fact of the matter is if it wasnt for the inept performances of the ref then he would not be in this situation in the first place.

if i was him i would have swore my head off as well as would have most of the people on this forum.

and we would not deserve 3 or 4 weeks for the out burst 1 week at the most if that.

the refs are nothing but a bunch of sooks who always have to be right.

the ref should have went upstairs to the video ref and then none of this would have happened.

Suitman

Post Whore
Redback71 said:
what he does is not the point, the fact of the matter is if it wasnt for the inept performances of the ref then he would not be in this situation in the first place.

if i was him i would have swore my head off as well as would have most of the people on this forum.

and we would not deserve 3 or 4 weeks for the out burst 1 week at the most if that.

the ref should have went upstairs to the video ref and then none of this would have happened.

Sorry but no refs decision deserves that sort of behavior. If the Touch Judge had called Andrew Johns a F****** C***, you can bet your life he would never get another NRL game in his life.
Johns cannot possibly blame anyone else but himself.

Suity

fish eel

Immortal
Suitman said:
Sorry but no refs decision deserves that sort of behavior. If the Touch Judge had called Andrew Johns a F****** C***, you can bet your life he would never get another NRL game in his life.
Johns cannot possibly blame anyone else but himself.

Suity

I really think the whole thing has been blown completely out of proportion, because it involves A Johns.

I don't condone what he did. Far from it. I would hate to see the NRL become like European football has, where you see 3 or 4 players surrounding, bullying a referee. The NRL had to act before things get to that point.

I do think however, in looking at it, you need to remember the he is only human, it was a massive call in the context of that match and the season, and in the heat of the moment, I can understand the guy boiling over and going off.

He didn't physically touch the officials, like one of our own has done, nor did he threaten them. I think it deserves punishment, but not a season ending suspension and the whole drama that is now being played out.

But has you rightfully say, he has no one to blame but himself. And I don't think he helped himself in Sundays newspaper article.

And as an aside, Harry Kewell blew up big time at the referee after the Australlia Brazil match in the world cup. It was much uglier and went on for a period of time....and I think he escaped any punishment?

The Engineers Room

First Grade
eelz47 said:
nor in ours, bloody canterbury.......................

joey has been swearing at refs and officals for awhile now. big sook

I can tell you now that refs have a very long memory and know when to switch off, when a whinger is talking.

I usually just used to point to the player and give him the high 10 signal back towards the sheds. They didn't annoy you for at least 10 minutes after that.

mickdo

Coach
fish eel said:
And as an aside, Harry Kewell blew up big time at the referee after the Australlia Brazil match in the world cup. It was much uglier and went on for a period of time....and I think he escaped any punishment?
The only reason Kewell got off is because the ref's report contradicted his linesman's... and he allegedly told Kewell that his world cup was over, implying he was going to stitch him up. Had the ref not done those things you can bet Kewell would have missed a few games.

Suitman

Post Whore
fish eel said:
I really think the whole thing has been blown completely out of proportion, because it involves A Johns.

I don't condone what he did. Far from it. I would hate to see the NRL become like European football has, where you see 3 or 4 players surrounding, bullying a referee. The NRL had to act before things get to that point.

I do think however, in looking at it, you need to remember the he is only human, it was a massive call in the context of that match and the season, and in the heat of the moment, I can understand the guy boiling over and going off.

He didn't physically touch the officials, like one of our own has done, nor did he threaten them. I think it deserves punishment, but not a season ending suspension and the whole drama that is now being played out.

But has you rightfully say, he has no one to blame but himself. And I don't think he helped himself in Sundays newspaper article.

I agree in part with some of what you have said, but the bottom line is, this sort of abuse of officials cannot and must not be tolerated in any way, regardless of the circumstances.
We let him and others get away with this, and how far does it go before we decide to act??

I think it needs to be stamped on now, and hard.
Name any other sector of society where calling someone a f****** c*** is even remotely acceptable?
Then why should it be on the football field?
What sort of message does this send to the future players of Rugby League, school kids etc...... if he is allowed to get away with this.
Andrew Johns has a responsibility to the game because he is looked up to by so many people. It is about time he started taking on some of that in his on field behavior.

Suity

Tank30

Juniors
I doubt that there would even be a discussion about this, if it had happened in round two of the season.

If it wasn't andrew johns, no one would have heard about it and the player would have suspended for longer than 4 weeks.

When I started playing my dad told me the following -

When the ref is right, he is right.
When the ref is wrong, he is right.

There is no point arguing because you are not going to change his mind.

Joey or not, no player should ever speak to an official in this way and he deserves every week he sits on the sideline. There are too many players in the NRL who are far too aggressive when talking to a referee. Make a stand now and let them all know that it is not acceptable.

I think it was Robert Finch who summed it up when he said something along the lines of, there were 79 other minutes in which the knights had opportunities to score and win the game. Did Joey call the players who didn't score during this time f****** c****???

Suitman

Post Whore
Tank30 said:
I doubt that there would even be a discussion about this, if it had happened in round two of the season.

If it wasn't andrew johns, no one would have heard about it and the player would have suspended for longer than 4 weeks.

When I started playing my dad told me the following -

When the ref is right, he is right.
When the ref is wrong, he is right.

There is no point arguing because you are not going to change his mind.

Joey or not, no player should ever speak to an official in this way and he deserves every week he sits on the sideline. There are too many players in the NRL who are far too aggressive when talking to a referee. Make a stand now and let them all know that it is not acceptable.

I think it was Robert Finch who summed it up when he said something along the lines of, there were 79 other minutes in which the knights had opportunities to score and win the game. Did Joey call the players who didn't score during this time f****** c****???

Add that to my last post and it all just about sums it up.

:clap:

Suity

fish eel

Immortal
Suitman said:
I agree in part with some of what you have said, but the bottom line is, this sort of abuse of officials cannot and must not be tolerated in any way, regardless of the circumstances.
We let him and others get away with this, and how far does it go before we decide to act??

I think it needs to be stamped on now, and hard.
Name any other sector of society where calling someone a f****** c*** is even remotely acceptable?
Then why should it be on the football field?
What sort of message does this send to the future players of Rugby League, school kids etc...... if he is allowed to get away with this.
Andrew Johns has a responsibility to the game because he is looked up to by so many people. It is about time he started taking on some of that in his on field behavior.

Suity

Don't get me wrong Suity, I am certainly not saying he should get away with it or it should be tolerated - just I don't think it is worthy of the coverage it has been getting, nor do i think it warrants the end of his season, given the circumstances. But it does warrant some form of action....

I guess whether or not I think the suspension he is facing is to much, it doesnt matter - because the bottom line is that if he didnt blow up, he wouldn't be facing a season ending suspension.

mickdo said:
The only reason Kewell got off is because the ref's report contradicted his linesman's... and he allegedly told Kewell that his world cup was over, implying he was going to stitch him up. Had the ref not done those things you can bet Kewell would have missed a few games

Ahh, there you go. I never read any media reports about it. But it was certainly very ugly.

The Colonel

Immortal
Redback71 said:

The referees decision is always right even if its wrong. The sooner people reamember that the better. ;-)

sooperdooper

First Grade
i dont care whats johns does...
but to be honest this thing is totally annoying and over reacted he swore, its not much

The Colonel

Immortal
sooperdooper said:
i dont care whats johns does...
but to be honest this thing is totally annoying and over reacted he swore, its not much

The issue though isn't the fact he swore. It is who the swearing was directed at where the issue arises.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
He's not the best i've seen, i'd rather a Steve Rogers ro ET run 100 metres to score or to save a try...then some fat arse kicking the ball 50 metres.

I can't live with the fact that some people think he's the best, i really can't...when you consider he never dominated Origin like Lewis, opposed the likes of Gower, Kimmorley, Orford, played under the 10 metre rule...unlike others who played and dominated under the 5 metre rule, didn't invent anything....the Banana kick was invented by AFL players, then Neil Baker, then Ricky Stuart...then Johns, and last but not least......Allan Langer tore him a new arse in 2003 or 04 in the SOO at 35, Johns didn't have anything on him, and i thought the best conquered all.

Great player, but give me the indivdual brillance of a Rogers, Grothe, ET, Beetson, Kenny anyday of the week, i couldn't give a f**k how long he can pass or kick the ball, I'd rather 13 Artie Beetsons or Wally Lewis's then 13 A Johns.

Tank30

Juniors
Redback71 said:

If your boss made an error and you called him a f****** c***, what do you think would happen.

Redback71 said:
If i was him i would have swore my head off as well as would have most of the people on this forum.

Unless your name is Andrew Johns, you probably would have got asked to politely and quietly leave the fields for 10 mins.

Redback71 said:

You would get 3-4 weeks or more, but no one would know because you aren't Andrew Johns.

Redback71 said:

And Joey is just passionate...Not a big whinging bitch who just has to be right..

Redback71 said:

This is no longer possible in a knock on situation unless there is foul play involved.

End of the day, the whinger should get 4 weeks and if he loses his battle at the judiciary, I hope he calls them all f****** c**** and gets another 4...

He is an absolute Turd...

Tank30

Juniors
I would love to have seen how the king handled Joey, granted he is a queenslander but damn he was good...

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I would've like to have seen Joey tackle some better half backs, i mean he only became the best once Stuart & Langer retired.

CrazyEel

Bench
Ron Jeremy said:
He's not the best i've seen, i'd rather a Steve Rogers ro ET run 100 metres to score or to save a try...then some fat arse kicking the ball 50 metres.

I can't live with the fact that some people think he's the best, i really can't...when you consider he never dominated Origin like Lewis, opposed the likes of Gower, Kimmorley, Orford, played under the 10 metre rule...unlike others who played and dominated under the 5 metre rule, didn't invent anything....the Banana kick was invented by AFL players, then Neil Baker, then Ricky Stuart...then Johns, and last but not least......Allan Langer tore him a new arse in 2003 or 04 in the SOO at 35, Johns didn't have anything on him, and i thought the best conquered all.

Great player, but give me the indivdual brillance of a Rogers, Grothe, ET, Beetson, Kenny anyday of the week, i couldn't give a f**k how long he can pass or kick the ball, I'd rather 13 Artie Beetsons or Wally Lewis's then 13 A Johns.
I totally agree with every bit of that.