What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts about Nathan Merrit?

philstorm

Juniors
I'll admit that I probably wasn't the only one of the opinion last year that Merrit's try-scoring blitz was more of a 'he's the only point scoring option' than 'he's a very good player' for Souths.

But it looks like he's picked up where he left off this year and is turning into a regular try-scoring machine.

Could he be a bolter for an Origin side? Must admit, i'm impressed with him.

He is incredibly quick, not many wingers in the competition today could have scored a few of the tries he has so far this season (chip over the top last week right on the sideline, and one down the side tonight).

Could be a bolter for origin, will have to wait and see

kooriguy

Juniors
would be one of the fastest in nrl in terms of acceleration, agile and not a bad defender.. would not look out of place in any team nsw included.

yobbo84

Coach
He has already scored 2 absolutely sensational tries this year. He's a freak. Put it this way, if it were Matt Bowen or Billy Slater who scored them the Channel 9 team would deadset be creaming themselves.

EDIT - now that I think about it, the Merritt chip-and-chase last week was much like Slater's in Origin.. only better. He did it all with about 1m of room from the sideline!

DeeGan

Bench
yobbo84 said:
EDIT - now that I think about it, the Merritt chip-and-chase last week was much like Slater's in Origin.. only better. He did it all with about 1m of room from the sideline!

Oh please :roll:

I think it is great Souths are back in the winner's circle and I am even happier for the fans though let's keep ALL things in perspective. The Merritt try was very good, one that we will see again at the end of the year in the highlights package, though Billy Slater's try at Origin level is now part of Origin folklore and forever be replayed.

Slater at the highest level produced one of THE great individual tries of all-time. We can't say that about Merritt's try.

Back on topic ...

Nathan Merritt size is what will count against him current NSW selectors. They like to have big wingers and Merritt won't force his way in ahead of King, Grothe, Rooney etc.

I would like to think he would make an argument for inclusion in the City v Country game where Australian representatives are not available for selection.

He has been a pleasure to the watch since being back in the red'n'green. He is a genuine crowd pleaser no doubt.

Would I be right to assume he is a City representative?

boonboon

Juniors
Yeah he might struggle with his size to make the NSW team they seem to look for big wingers but city country definatley should get a shot he reminds me of blacklock

yobbo84

Coach
DeeGan said:
Slater at the highest level produced one of THE great individual tries of all-time. We can't say that about Merritt's try.

One of the greatest of all time? Please. It was a chip-and-chase.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Merritt will be the new version of Nathan Blacklock. Try scoring freak, the fans will demand his inclusion, but it won't happen because of his size/percieved defense frailties/whatever other excuse they can come up with.

I don't think he's quite ready for it this year anyway, but all he can do is keep scoring tries.

DeeGan

Bench
yobbo84 said:
One of the greatest of all time? Please. It was a chip-and-chase.

Game two, in front of 52,000+ playing for a Queensland team down 1-0 (2004 series) - Slater's individual brilliance at that level qualifies the effort in my books as one of THE greatest tries of all-time.

For an over zealous Souths fan to come on here and suggest Merritt's was better - I believe it is a case of "looking at the try with red and green glasses on".

Each to their own.

I would be surprised if you found many members who would support your claim outside of South Sydney fans ;-)

Ziggy the God

First Grade
yobbo84 said:
He has already scored 2 absolutely sensational tries this year. He's a freak. Put it this way, if it were Matt Bowen or Billy Slater who scored them the Channel 9 team would deadset be creaming themselves.

Spot on the money yobbo.

I am against talking it up because we have won a few matches for a change, but the unconscious belief that Souths players are inferior, still prevails throughout the League. I can't blame anyone though, since we have been in the gutter for such a long time.

In terms of his size, Bowen is not exactly a giant, so that argument is out the window.

Last year NSW used Tahu, Grothe and King vs Inglis, Tate, Bell and Mogg. IMO, if he keeps playing at this standard for the next few weeks, he will definitely be in there with a good chance.

Earl

Coach
He's probably too small to play Origin. No doubting his ability though.

I think bigger wingers could have a field day down his side in Origin.

DeeGan

Bench
Ziggy the God said:
In terms of his size, Bowen is not exactly a giant, so that argument is out the window.

Your right - though if he was playing for QLD, not NSW.

NSW wingers since 2000: MacDougall, Ainscough, Tahu, Moodie, Devere, Rooney, Lewis, King and Grothe ...

The point I made about his size is that the common theme with NSW selectors is to select some decent size wingers to combat the speed of some of our smaller, speedier wingers.

Merritt's size will count against him when it comes to any talk about NSW selection in 2007.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Is he smaller than Bowen, Slater, Hogdson, etc?

But NSW do have an infatuation with monster outside backs. He is a freak, but quite frankly, he has buckleys of playing Origin. In the short term atleast. I don't think he'd be out of his depth though.

Latest posts