What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts about Quinn?

philstorm

Juniors
Gday all,

I wasn't in Sydney at the time that Quinn was signed by us from the Knights last year. I was just wondering whether he left 'on bad terms' (ala an Orford or Kimmoreley), or whether it was because he was pushed out of the club.

Were fans happy to see the back of him?

perverse

Referee
i was actually quite disturbed to see him leave. he's a very good finisher imho.. tough little bugger too.

Burwood

Bench
For me, he's one of those players who I didn't want to see the back of. Very hard worker and always gave his all. He was seemingly unwanted by Smith, so no one can blame him for going down to Melbourne on the money they were offering.

Not too sure about Bellamy playing him in the centres, however. He is a strong ball runner, and being a centre goes some way towards negating his strengths. Hopefully this weekend he stays true to his old ways and gives the Knights plenty of penalties:D

roopy

Referee
The Knights lose a few quality firstgraders every season like Morris, Ennis, Quinn, Tilse, Lowrie, - we know we produce more firstgraders than we can keep - so no ill feelings.

macavity

Referee
roopy said:
The Knights lose a few quality firstgraders every season like Morris, Ennis, Quinn, Tilse, Lowrie, - we know we produce more firstgraders than we can keep - so no ill feelings.

:sarcasm: :lol: :crazy:

Misanthrope

Staff member
I didn't much care that he left. I know some fans wanted to boof him, but I got tired of his cross-field runs.

Mal

Juniors
I was glad to see him go.I had him in my top 3 players i disliked with sean rudder and clumsy peter shiels the others.

Jono078

Referee
Only thing I miss from him so far is his kick returns and dummy half runs and overall workload..

I've been quite happy with McManus, not too much of a workload so far, but that will come with experience and confidence.

CJKnight

Juniors
He was a bit too much of a hothead for my liking, gave away far too many stupid penalties. Good strong fellow though, would hate to try tackling him.

macavity

Referee
Mal said:
I was glad to see him go.I had him in my top 3 players i disliked with sean rudder and clumsy peter shiels the others.

Rudder I can understand, but Sheils was one of the best backrowers to come through the club.

desperately unlucky - played with us from 98-00 - and we know the rest!

(nice guy to boot)

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
I miss Quinny he was one of my favourites had the unbelivable ability to come of his wing and put a hit on to stop the overlap. Storm did well Webster for Quinn thats a pretty even loss there.

antonius

Coach
macavity said:
Rudder I can understand, but Sheils was one of the best backrowers to come through the club.

(nice guy to boot)
Agreed. Rudder I reckon was a victim of Hagan, played a few good games at 5/8th for us (2001) finals series, but really was a promising backrower that was put in the halves by Hagan and kept there.

CJKnight

Juniors
antonius said:
Agreed. Rudder I reckon was a victim of Hagan, played a few good games at 5/8th for us (2001) finals series, but really was a promising backrower that was put in the halves by Hagan and kept there.

Jeez I'm glad Hages has gone.

6. Lowrie
13. Tanner

Yosh

Coach
I always liked the bloke. Should of kept him. But was hard becuase he wanted to play in centres, I think we would of kept him out on the wing. He was offered to play centre at melbourn. Too hard to refuse

Mal

Juniors
macavity said:

(nice guy to boot)

I respect your oppinion macavity,And thanks for not jumping down my throat:)
For me big pete was way to clumsy Imo.I understand players,even the great ones make mistakes from time to time but big pete seemed to me to make them all the time.

I remember a game he played and i had a carton of VB, the very best on the line against a mate,The house was jammed packed with people and i was telling everybody that big pete was the man to watch only to see the big fool put in a grubber on the 2nd tackle 30 out from our own line:x I couldn't believe it...I have to this day been reminded many of times of that little brain snap..
Anyway that was'nt the only time big pete let me down there was many of times after that but lets not go there...:D

strewth_mate

Bench
Always liked Quinn, hope he does well. Used to notice he'd put in the effort to try and chase down a break from the opposite wing, usually fruitlessly but I like that in a player. Lenny Beckett was another I thought showed the same kind of commitment, but at the very least I prefer Quinn to Beckett ;-)

Quinn also probably saved our arses a few times by scoring some pretty freaky tries, and had great finishing skills a lot of the time, particularly since he wasn't blessed with the same kind of athleticism as Tahu. There was also a time in 2005 where he'd be a massive handful for the defence, and it was rare he'd be taken down by the first man in; if he can recapture that for the Storm he'll be more than worthwhile.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
macavity said:

(nice guy to boot)

I agree strongly on both counts.