What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on society.....

True, i dont think there is much that hasn't been discussed about this issue!

" Moffo: "The question is, where do we go before Abraham?"
Before Abraham there was other peoples, legends and distinctive beliefs.

So how long do we thing 'peoples' as such have been around for? (ie: as in humans, distinct from apes)

Moffo

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Moffo: "So how long do we thing 'peoples' as such have been around for?"

Depends how you want to define people. If we are to equate civilisation with religion (a long bow to draw if there ever was one) then we have at least 100,000 years oforganised communities or 'ordered society', so to speak.

" (ie: as in humans, distinct from apes)"
As I keep saying, the notion that Humans descended from Apes isn't widely accepted. Maybe it was once in Darwins time but modern paelontology suggests otherwise.

The oldest hominids are about 6-7 million years old. However, I dare say to you and me, they would have looked pretty wild and had a number of primate characteristics. Nevertheless, they were our ancestors and didnt share the same evolutionary branch as the Apes.
Imagine Trevor Gilmeister crossed with Merv Hughes and you'll know what I mean. ;)

were accounts told to them by.....whom? Members of the 12 apostles? I was always taught that these sections of the bible were written 70-80 ACE, which makes that possibility plausable.
The Old Testamentwas writtenpre Christ by people such as Moses and was the maintream doctrine of the Jewish religion. It was adopted by the christians as part of the bilbe because the christian church at the time saw it self as just a variant of the jewish religion and not an alternative or threat to it, a takeover from within if you like. The new Teatament is post Christand only the earliest gospel, Luke if my memory serves me correctly, was written by the son of an apostle in approx 60-70 AC. The others were written at different intervals much later, between60 and 120 years, and relied on 2nd,3rd and even 4th generation retelling of events. This is why only one gospel refers to the opening of the tomb ofChrist and the accension where as the other 3 have no reference to it.

Mate, in my good news bible, it has the revelations chapter. It also leaves it in the new testament section. So, correct me if im wrong, the church acknowledges revelations but doesn't see it as a book of prophecy? Or does it not recognise it at all?
Good news week eh, I remember that song ;)It is not part ofthe new testament, it comesafter it. The official Roman Catholic Church has always maintained it included Revelations in the Bible purely as a historic accountand reminder of the persecution the earlychristians suffered at the hands of the Romans prior to Christianity being accepted as the official religion of Rome.They statethe 7 horns etc are the 7 hills of Rome and the whore of Babylon is Rome itself. The so called mark of the beast when wriiten in Latin refers to the emperorat the time the book was written, Nero. They maintain it was written by one of their own who was held in captivity at the time by the Romans to their 7 Bishops as a coded obtuse warning to themof what Rome intended to doand exhorting them to maintain their faith and unity in the face of the persecutions which were taking place at the time. They say it is not part of but at the end of thenew testament and it was never meant to be interpreted as prophecy.

Mate,I am merely presenting the view of the Catholic Church only because it isthe church that actually compiled the bloody thing in the first place.When I was researching all this stuffmany years agoIfigured as they werethe ones that compiled the bloody thingandstillhad the records of what they did and why they did itthen they would obviously be the best source of reference for it. I am certain you would have a far easier task today offinding their official position on such thingsvia their web sitescompared to the copius volumesI had to pour overif you really want to know about it. Other than that I'm happy to answer what Ican from memorybut as you well know my personal opinion is that it is alla load of bolocks.

So how long do we thing 'peoples' as such have been around for? (ie: as in humans, distinct from apes)
Man first started migrating up out of Africa, up through themiddle east and into europe and china approx 2 million years ago. Various different variations of the species existed such asthe neanderthal etc till about 1 million years ago. Earliest signs of civilisation, that it communal living and building of huts etc date back to 220, 000 years ago. The latest radiation dating of the Sphinx in Egyptnow dates it ataround 60,000 years old. And no, the egyptians of the pryamid era did not build the Sphinx.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Rasputin: "And no, the egyptians of the pryamid era did not build the Sphinx."
The Sphinx was ancientwell before the ancients...thats if the History Channel is to be believed.

"Earliest signs of civilisation, that it communal living and building of huts etc date back to 220, 000 years ago. "
I always thought 100,000 yearswas a long time between drinks but 220K is amazing.

What are the oldest rock carvings? I understood that the Aboriginal rock carvings in the Pilbara are the oldest, about 25-30,000 years. Rock art being a good measure of people coming to grips with their environment.

What are the oldest rock carvings? I understood that the Aboriginal rock carvings in the Pilbara are the oldest, about 25-30,000 years. Rock art being a good measure of people coming to grips with their environment.
The oldest Aboriginal cave paintings are much older, somwhere around 55,000 years it is believed. It is firmly believed that Aboriginals were present in Australia, or Goondanaland whatever, as far back as 200,000 years ago.

Most of the prehistoric archealogy is focused on the caves around Jordan which was the pathway from Africa out into greater Europe and has the earliest signs of civilisation.As the vegetation in the African land mass shrank our ancestors gradually found there way out via this land bridge. There are many cavesites which have rock carvings, ritual burial graves, prehistoric tools etc which date back at least over 200,000 years. Human remains as well as remains ofNeanderthals, who also made the trek out of Africa along with all otherevoloutionary derivitaves of the original homineds,have been unearthed in campsites across Europe and China which are at least 1 million years old. Though not quite exmaples of truecivilised beginnings these campsites do prove that both derivitives at one time co-existed and actually cross bred prior to the neanderthall dying out. Well mabye not entirely dying out as I know a few of there directdescendents where I work. Nevertheless italso demonstrates communal beginnings and societal culture was developingat leasta million years ago.

There is currently much archelogical activity going on in Kenya where it is believed even earlier sites exist, around 2 million years ago,in the deep ravines there.

As I keep saying, the notion that Humans descended from Apes isn't widely accepted. Maybe it was once in Darwins time but modern paelontology suggests otherwise.
There is less than 1% difference in the DNA between a human and a baboon. Our original ancestors were indeed very closely related, as is evidenced by many of todays humans whichstill express very similar traits I may add;)

C

CanadianSteve

Rasputin: None of the Gospel writershad actually lived in Christ's time nor had any of them everseen Christ. Not so. Matthew Mark and John were with Christ on earth, and Luke travelled with Paul, and had spoken to disciples and others who were with Christ.

The John who wrote Revelations is not the John who wrote one of the Gospels. Again, I disagree. Some people say what you've said, other bible scholars maintain it was indeed the same John, now an old man in exile on the island of Patmos when he wrote the book of Revelation.

the church does not portray the world to be 6,000 years old at all, well not in years as we measure them anyway. Each day of the 7 days of creation relate to 1,000 years ofthe old jewish calendar which does not measure years as we do.It is in the book of numerology.

Some creationists agree with this, or say that the seven days of Creation could have been longer periods, using the word day as an expression, not a 24 hour day. Others put forward a "gap" theory, saying there is a gap between Genesis 1: verse 1 and verse 2, where a long time could have passed. As Marcus said, the cretionists who argue for a "young earth" use a figure of about 10,000 years, not 6,000. I don't know for sure where I stand on the dating issue, but I do think evolutionists have proposed longer and longer periods of time for the earth's age just to make it fit with their ideas of how long it takes species to evolve.

C

CanadianSteve

You are mixing two seperate beliefs together. The Catholic Church, the original Universal church, believes in Judgement day but does not support such things as the Apocolypse, "lawlessness", etc of Revelations. It does not accept Revelations as a book of prophecy. That is the belief of the sects which came out ofthe original 18th century millerites, the 7th day adventist andMormons etc, the evangelicasts as they are referred to. It is they whobelieve in the coming of the son of Satan, the 7 year reign of terror, mark of the beast and the finalApocolypseetc. This type of belief and ending is not supported by the main stream Churches at all. Rasputin

This is not quite stating it right. The book of Revelation has been in the bible since it was compiled, long before the 1800s. It's more accurate to say some churches take the things in Revelation as figurative prophecy, some as more literal. Most believe that Christ is coming back to earth at the "end of the age", but no one knows when that will be.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
CS: "I do think evolutionists have proposed longer and longer periods of time for the earth's age just to make it fit with their ideas of how long it takes species to evolve."

Its unfortunate that you think that Steve because its simply not true.
The age of the earth not decided by proposals to meet some hidden agenda.

The Earth is about 4.5 BIL years old with the oldest knownrocks being about 4 BIL years old... give or take a few million years.
The Earth is at least as old as the formations on it.

Not so. Matthew Mark and John were with Christ on earth, and Luke travelled with Paul, and had spoken to disciples and others who were with Christ.
Then we will agree to disagree Steve.The gospels of Mathew, Mark and John are dated by the church itself as beingwritten in the 2nd century,well over 100 years post Christ and far beyond the 35 year life expectancy of the times. The writers of the Gospels are not nor never purported to be any of the original apostles, nor has thechurch ever claimed they were.None of the apostles survived Nero and none of the gospels were written prior to the commencement of the persecutions. Also, I would suggest to you that the contradictions that exist between the various Gospels isproof enough thatthere was never anysuch collaborationnor communication between the writers themselves.In fact it is quite clear from the writings themselves there is a chronological order to them and distinct seperation between them. It is howeverbelieved that Luke, writer of the earliest of the 4 Gospels was in factthe son of the Apostle Mathew.

If you have any reliable research, other than new age web sites withtheir new theological twists, which refutes any of what I have said then by all means point me in that direction. I am fully aware many of the various sects today are attempting to re write history on the basis ofrandom and obtuse cross references betweenscattered passages of the old testament and revelations.You can reinterpret the writingsthemselves but you can't change the history of it.

The John who wrote Revelations is not the John who wrote one of the Gospels. Again, I disagree. Some people say what you've said, other bible scholars maintain it was indeed the same John, now an old man in exile on the island of Patmos when he wrote the book of Revelation.
Steve, this is simply not possible as Revelation itself clearly indicates. Not only does the writer himself deny any such connection but he addresses his revelations to the 7 Bishopsof the church, a structurewhich did not exist in the time that the "other" John wrote his Gospel.

This is not quite stating it right. The book of Revelation has been in the bible since it was compiled, long before the 1800s.
I never stated otherwise. You quoted me as saying"It (the church)does not accept Revelations as a book of prophecy". This is very accurate andI believe if you re read what I wrote earlier you will see where I said it is in the original bible compiled at the conference of 315 but never was it partof the new testament,itis a book in its own right at the end of the new testament. I stand by this, I alsoclearly outlined why the churchincluded it.My only reference to anything in the1800's was that is when it took on the role of prophecy at the hands of the Millerites re-interpretation.

It's more accurate to say some churches take the things in Revelation as figurative prophecy, some as more literal.
No, that is not more accurate. The Catholic and Anglican Churches vehemently deny it is a prophecy, figurative or otherwise, and totally refute such anapocolyptic ending. In fact they have published many papers pointing out where Jesus is quoted in the Gospels as saying this will not happen. The evangelicasts howeverbelieve it to be both prophetic and literaland steadfastly maintainthe coming of the anti christ and the time of tribulation.

The Earth is about 4.5 BIL years old with the oldest knownrocks being about 4 BIL years old... give or take a few million years.
Dating our solar system is even muchsimpler than that Willow. As our solar system is constantly being pushed out along the spiral arm of our galaxyitmust at least 4.5 bil years old otherwise we wouldn't be in the location of the galaxy we are in, we would be much closer in towards the core.Nor could the newer Solar systems existfurther back along the spiral we travelled. Ifours hadn't been moving for 4.5 billion years we would be squashed to pulp by others coming up behind us. And that has nothing to do with evolution,life or creation,it isthe pure mechanics that keeps the whole bloody universe together and everything equi-spaced, otherwise everything would be crashing into everything else.

C

CanadianSteve

The gospels of Mathew, Mark and John are dated by the church itself as beingwritten in the 2nd century,well over 100 years post Christ and far beyond the 35 year I assume by the church you mean the Roman Catholic church. I'm surprised they think that. I don't have sources with me at present, I will look some up and post later. I have read lots of things that give an early date to the 4 gospels, before 70 AD for at least some of them. There is a reference right in one of the gospels that shows it's before 70 AD, when the fall of Jerusalem took place. Again I don't have that reference at the moment.

C

CanadianSteve

If you have any reliable research, other than new age web sites withtheir new theological twists, which refutes any of what I have said then by all means point me in that direction. I am fully aware many of the various sects today are attempting to re write history on the basis ofrandom and obtuse cross references betweenscattered passages of the old testament and revelations.You can reinterpret the writingsthemselves but you can't change the history of it.

I intend to get references from books, not the internet, and certainly nothing "new age." But the above passage implies to me ahead of time that you won't accept anything I find anyway. Maybe I'm interpreting your viewpoint wrongly, but you seem set on the Roman Catholic doctrine as being the only true one.

I have read lots of things that give an early date to the 4 gospels, before 70 AD for at least some of them
More like one of them. As I said, it is my understanding, albeit from an aging memory,that the Gospel of Luke was the first, written sometime around 65 AD, which was indeed prior to the Romans levelling Jerusalem. The next Gospel, not sure which order from here, was somewhere around80 AD, most definately after the attack on Jerusalem, followed by the third around 120 and the final one, John I believe, somewhere as late as140 AD. There is most definately a very significant gap between the latter ones as thelanguage, style andinterpretations within thewritings clearly indicate. The first gospel attempts to appeasethe jewish church of the time, the latter ones become more and more derisiveashope of unification is forsaken.

The most firmly believed dating of Revelations is during the rule of Nero, approx 50 AD. Thisdate is based on the writings themselves, the style of writing used andchurchrecords of a monk by the name of Johnbeing held in captivityon the island of Patmos by the Romans. This monk was the former assistant to the thenbishop of Alexandria, a relationshiphe refers to in his opening salutationsin Revelations.Revelations itself refers often to the old testament but makes no reference whatever to the newtestament, hence the belief it was written first and could not have been the same work as the much latterJohn of the 4th Gospel.

Steve, as I said earlier to Moff this is all from my memory based on research many years ago.I'm pretty sure the dates are there or there abouts,give or take a decade, but am totally sure of the large gaps betweenGospels and the fact the writers were never in direct communication and wereof different eras.Will leave it at that till you locateyour sources.

But the above passage implies to me ahead of time that you won't accept anything I find anyway.
Didn't mean to give that impression Steve.I will most certainly accept any historical inaccuracies you find in what i have said. As for religious beliefs then no offense Steve but no, I won't accept anythingfor thesimple matter Ino longerbelieve any of it.

Maybe I'm interpreting your viewpoint wrongly, but you seem set on the Roman Catholic doctrine as being the only true one.
No, not the doctrine, for I don't believe it, the churches history however is another matter. It was they who compiled the Bible in the first place and it is they who hold the history of why, when and how it was put together. Catholic is just themodern nameforthe greek wordKatholic, meaning Universal, which was the church of the early christians. They are the oly ones who have all the original records of the events as they occured. Purely an historical reference Steve, definately not doctrinal.

Steve, regardless of how it may I appear I truly have attempted to stay well away from debating the theology of it for I believe to each their own. I do not believe that the big bang necessarily negates the concept of creation for it is all in how one chooses to believe creation occured, literally as per Adam & Eve or figuratively by way of God inducing the singularity. To me faith has more to do with the meaning of why it occured rather than the how of it.My main involvement in this discussion has been purely along the historical line, not theological. I am interested in and willdebate the history but not the theology, that is a matter for each individual.

Cheers Steve.

Latest posts