What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on Staceys Return.

MKEB...

Staff member
I wouldnt have believed it had I not read it...
Strange decision

effnic

Bench
I have a feeling he will struggle with the pace of the game. But i hope he does great.

JoeD

First Grade
Personally I don't like it. We all saw how reluctant Cleary was dropping regulars when they weren't performing well. What happens if Stacey deserves to be dropped and inevitably isn't? This could tarnish his rep.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Personally I don't like it. We all saw how reluctant Cleary was dropping regulars when they weren't performing well. What happens if Stacey deserves to be dropped and inevitably isn't? This could tarnish his rep.

This.

I hope he absolutely tears it up, but I'm nervous.

ozbash

Referee
JONES BACK IN NRL FOR VODAFONE WARRIORS IN 2009
Auckland, New Zealand, November 7, 2008 –
New Zealand’s halfback of the century Stacey Jones is set to be reunited with the Vodafone Warriors for the 2009 season.
Three years after ending his record 238-game career at Mt Smart Stadium, the much-decorated 32-year-old today revealed he has signed a one-year contract, negotiated by his agent Peter Brown, to resume his playing ties with the club.
Jones says an approach by Vodafone Warriors coach Ivan Cleary and a taste of top-level football with the All Golds last month had rekindled his desire to again play for the Vodafone Warriors.
"It’s a huge decision but I’m so excited about what’s ahead," said Jones.
"I’ve really enjoyed the time I’ve had back at the Vodafone Warriors (as kicking coach) this year.
"I’ve had a year off playing after finishing up with Les Catalans (in the English Super League) and turning out for the All Golds in England last year."
Jones said contractual arrangements had prevented him giving any consideration to a playing deal before now.
"The truth is I had originally signed a new contract to play on with Les Catalans this year but it was a bit rushed. By then we’d had two great years in Perpignan and we were homesick and really keen to come back," he said.
"The club was good about it and let me go but on the condition I couldn’t play for any other club in 2008."
His commitment to play in the New Zealand Rugby League’s farewell match to long-time Kiwi team-mate Ruben Wiki on October 12 compelled Jones to take on a training programme.
"After training to play for the All Golds in New Plymouth (last month) and playing in that game, I realised how much I had missed being out there," he said.
Jones’ cameo appearance for the All Golds was the catalyst for Cleary to make his approach.
"A few days after the match, Ivan asked me whether I’d be interested in making a return to the NRL. I said I’d think about it. Obviously I had a lot to consider and while I accept I have a lot of work to do to get back to NRL standard, I really want to give this a shot.
"My motivation is to try to help the club win a premiership. I like the look of the roster the Vodafone Warriors have for next season. To me, it’s one of the most exciting all-round squads the club has had.
"I’m still only 32 so I feel there’s time left for me to have another crack now, especially after having a year off. I feel fresh."

Cleary said both the NRL team and the club as a whole stood to benefit enormously from Jones’ signing. But he added it wouldn’t be fair to place unreasonable expectations on him.
"It’s been well recognised that we have been looking to improve our halfback depth and in Stacey we could not have anyone with more experience in this position," he said.
"Whether Stacey plays many games or not, his experience will be invaluable not only to the young halves but the NRL squad as a whole.
"He has been doing plenty of fitness training recently and we expect him to be in competitive shape when our NRL squad starts preseason training on November 17.
"It’s great for us to have a player of his standing and quality back at the club he has done so much for, and the club that did so much for him."
Vodafone Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah said he was delighted to have Jones back in the fold.
"For everyone who has followed the Vodafone Warriors since they were introduced to the competition, Stacey Jones has been the player instantly identified with the club," he said.
"He has been the most popular player in the club’s history and he still holds most of the club’s individual records as well."
Jones’ last game for the Vodafone Warriors was against Manly on August 27, 2005, when he scored a try with his last touch in the game to give his side a 22-20 win.
Named the club’s first life member before starting the 2005 season, Jones finished up with club records not only for the most games but also for the most points (654), most tries (75) and most field goals (12). Those records still stand.
He played the last of his 46 tests for the Kiwis in the 2006 Tri Nations final against the Kangaroos in Sydney.

STACEY JONES
Born: May 7, 1976
Birthplace: Auckland, New Zealand
Position: Halfback
Height: 171cm
Weight: 84kg
Junior Clubs: Ponsonby-Maritime, Pt Chevalier (Auckland)
NRL Team: Vodafone Warriors
Vodafone Warriors Number: 24
NRL Debut: Vodafone Warriors v Parramatta, Parramatta Stadium, Sydney, April 23,
1995 (Round 7)
NRL Career: 238 appearances 1995-2005
NRL Points: 654 (75 tries, 171 goals, 12 field goals)
English Super League Team: Les Catalans Dragons
English Super League Debut: Les Catalans v Wigan, Stade Aime Giral, Perpignan,
February 11, 2006 (Round 1)
English Super League Career: 45 appearances 2006-2007
English Super League Points: 133 (11 tries, 43 goals, 3 field goals)
Test Debut: v Tonga, Warrington, October 8, 1995 (World Cup)
Test Career: 46 tests for Kiwis, 1995-2006; 6 tests as captain 2002 and 2006
Test Points: 160 (16 tries, 47 goals, 2 field goals)
Kiwi Number: 665
Awards: Officer of the New Zealand Order of Merit (2005), Golden Boot Award (2002), New Zealand Player of the Year (1991, 1992, 2002), Vodafone Warriors Player of the Year (1997).
Educated: St Paul’s College (Auckland)

warriors.co.nz

NZ Warrior

First Grade
I don't care what anyone says. This is great for the club and great for the game.

Welcome home, Stacey Jones!!!

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Does this mean he's available for the Kiwis again? Or maybe that depends on who the coach is, what day of the week the game is played, or the weather?

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
fmd this makes me sick. Is it a requirement for Cleary that we have at least 2 useless players in their mid-30s at all times?

ozbash

Referee
:music1:

one stacey jones
theres only one stacey jones
one stacey jones
theres only one stacey jones
:music1:

NZ Warrior

First Grade
fmd this makes me sick. Is it a requirement for Cleary that we have at least 2 useless players in their mid-30s at all times?

Would you shut the f**k up??? What the f**k is your problem. This is a great day for Rugby League.

Are you calling Steve Price useless now as well???

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
It's going to get more competitive at the Warriors for starting positions..

I think his return is great for the Warriors and for Rugby League!!

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
What the f**k is your problem

We just signed an over the hill halfback who has been retired for a year and was crap the last time he was at the club 4 years ago.

This is an individual of dubious character who has a tendency to retire with great ceremony and then come back so he can get off on soaking up the accolades.

He's also an individual who disrespects his national team and temporarily "retires" if he doesn't like the coach.

What makes it all worse is this player is held in massively high regard by so many, so we're set for a year of sh*t performances by Jones and non-stop reverence from his cloying fans. It's Wiki all over again, but at least Rubes hadn't pretended to retire multiple times before.

Martli

Coach
This will either be the best thing that ever happened for the warriors, or an abysmal failure. There will be no middle ground I reckon.

Now that I've had some time to think about this, I'm going to elaborate.

Stacey Jones is easily one of the best players the Warriors have had, bar a couple of below-par seasons. It's fair to say that most people have high expectations based on his past warriors performances, and this is clearly biasing their evaluation of this signing. There is a chance he might do well for us, but ultimately, I think the general public's expectations are going to be fair too high for him to realistically achieve. He might be objectively mediocre (i.e. still better than Rovelli) but because it's not "SUPER AWESOME YEAH" people will interpret it as being sh*t. Thus he'll either be awesome and meet everyon's high expectations, or fail to meet these expectations and be percieved as an absolute dud, even if he really isn't that bad. I think the latter is more likely.

I also think those who are supporting the signing without question are looking at it through a pretty emotional lense: They want him back in the Warriors for the nostalgic purposes, and not practical ones. I admit to feeling similar emotions, a bit like Napoleon coming back from exile to lead France to glory once again (an abysmal failure). It reminds them of great times when Stacey was carving up the oppostion, and this clouds over the amazing odds that stand in front of him.

My other issue is that it's only treating the symptoms and not the disease itself. The problem with our halves is that we can't get the likes of a Thurston, Cronk, Prince etc. These are all young guys playing their best footy, like Stacey ones was. Instead we're now relying on a guy who's past his prime to treat the symptom of a greater problem that is going to plague our club if we don't fix it. I'd like to think that 3 seasons with below-par halves combos was enough to get this in place, but it seems we'd rather go back to old habits than start afresh.

I'd love for him to come back and be his old self again, but I just don't see it happening. I think this is going to be a bit of a let down.

Jesbass

First Grade
Now that I've had some time to think about this, I'm going to elaborate.

Stacey Jones is easily one of the best players the Warriors have had, bar a couple of below-par seasons. It's fair to say that most people have high expectations based on his past warriors performances, and this is clearly biasing their evaluation of this signing. There is a chance he might do well for us, but ultimately, I think the general public's expectations are going to be fair too high for him to realistically achieve. He might be objectively mediocre (i.e. still better than Rovelli) but because it's not "SUPER AWESOME YEAH" people will interpret it as being sh*t. Thus he'll either be awesome and meet everyon's high expectations, or fail to meet these expectations and be percieved as an absolute dud, even if he really isn't that bad. I think the latter is more likely.

I also think those who are supporting the signing without question are looking at it through a pretty emotional lense: They want him back in the Warriors for the nostalgic purposes, and not practical ones. I admit to feeling similar emotions, a bit like Napoleon coming back from exile to lead France to glory once again (an abysmal failure). It reminds them of great times when Stacey was carving up the oppostion, and this clouds over the amazing odds that stand in front of him.

My other issue is that it's only treating the symptoms and not the disease itself. The problem with our halves is that we can't get the likes of a Thurston, Cronk, Prince etc. These are all young guys playing their best footy, like Stacey ones was. Instead we're now relying on a guy who's past his prime to treat the symptom of a greater problem that is going to plague our club if we don't fix it. I'd like to think that 3 seasons with below-par halves combos was enough to get this in place, but it seems we'd rather go back to old habits than start afresh.

I'd love for him to come back and be his old self again, but I just don't see it happening. I think this is going to be a bit of a let down.

A couple of things...

Firstly, I think Stacey brings more to the table than his playing performance. Of course there's the leadership, the mana, and the experience that he provides, but those would have been brought in his role as kicking coach anyway. What I'm getting at is the long term benefit for our club through the development of our juniors. Liam Foran has openly stated that Stacey Jones is his idol, and that Jones' involvement in the Warriors' 2009 coaching ranks was a major factor in his signing. Now it seems entirely possible that Foran will be able to get live one on one tuition while on the field and donning a Warriors jersey alongside his idol. Jones is our most popular player of all time, so it's not unbelievable to assume that the likes of Isaac John and Aaron Heremaia also look up to him considering their own positions. This signing is only for 2009, but its impact could lead us positively for years to come.

Secondly, thanks for the Napoleon comparison. I can see so many similarities - it's given me a great idea for an article! :D

Latest posts