What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thurston = Cowboys Captain

RufusRex

Post Whore
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21346810-23214,00.html

NORTH Queensland today named halfback Johnathan Thurston as its new captain, with hooker Aaron Payne named vice captain for the 2007 NRL season.

curious decision given the rumour and innuendo .. Perhaps it was all just hot air after all ... Will be interesting to see how he leads the cowboys and how the rest of the team react to his leadership.

Stranger

Coach
Got my doubts about his captaincy, not about his skill.

Although its good to see a team name one man captain instead of the usual 4 man leadership rubbish

simon says

First Grade
Stranger said:
Got my doubts about his captaincy, not about his skill.

Although its good to see a team name one man captain instead of the usual 4 man leadership rubbish

Agree on all counts,he is a great player but such a whiner.....maybe Graham wants a cap that questions the ref....

And the 3 caps thing,wot rubbish.

LESStar58

Referee
cameron smith will be QLD captain next methinks.

as for the cows captaincy.....hes been there 2 season and is the current test halfback. good move.

Thurston is not a captain...yes he is a good player but I don't think he would have the respect of a squad.

Canard

Immortal
Thurston is not a captain...yes he is a good player but I don't think he would have the respect of a squad.

I would think if he doesnt have the respect of the squad than thats there problem not his.

(Personally I think thats BS by the way, how could the current QLD and AUS halfback, and one of, if not the best, players for the club in the last 2 years not have the teams respect.

*edit*

kooriguy

Juniors
good one ya thursto truly deserved and a good move by the cowboys especially if they want to keep him there for the rest of his career as its alot harder for a captain to move on.

Azkatro

First Grade
Congrats to Thurston, but my gut tells me the right decision would have been to make Payne the club captain. Thurston is more of an instinct player to me, and you'd want him thinking about as little as possible on the field. Payne is at a place in his career where he needs to step up to the next level and I think being made club captain might have been just the tonic to give him the confidence to do it.

_Johnsy

Referee
*edit*

I think Payne wopuld have been a better choice, not miss any games through SOO, play every week baring injuries.

Cloud9

I think Thurston was appointed captain based on a popularity contest. I think he's too emotional, too much of sook to be captain.

Charlie124

First Grade
Cloud9 said:
I think Thurston was appointed captain based on a popularity contest. I think he's too emotional, too much of sook to be captain.

Andrew Johns is the biggest sook in the NRL :sarcasm:

spider

Coach
Cloud9 said:

it may be the smooth edge he needs in his game.

he still has a lot to achieve.

he may get better with responsibility - if not, hook the 'C' off him.

Canard

Immortal
*edit*

I think we struggled last year because of injuries, the coach being absent,loss of confidence and a overall underachievement but instead of admitting that fact,

Finally I wouldn't have any issues with Payney being Captain, and I even would have prefered it, but I dont have any issues with JT being there either.

Latest posts