What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thurston gone for the season!!!

aussies1st

Staff member
Geez some journalist jumped the gun, saying hes out for the season and now hes bearly out for 3 weeks.

The Tank

Bench
Good news. Not a big fan but he's a great player and I hate seeing any player injured. Best of luck with Payne aswell.

Shorty

Staff member
Definitely thought it was good news if he had rom, proper or partial location wouldn't allow that..
But a muscle tear would feel similar.

LOL@the journos that jumped the gun.
Still worried about Payney though.

typicalfan

Coach
He is the incumbent and his form for NSW was better than Robbie Farah.

He should get the opportunity at the very least to defend his spot in the C v C match.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I disagree Charlie.

As good and underated as Payne is, if you lose Thurston it's season over.

A few years ago, in another forum, I listed Aaron Payne as the most over-rated and most under-rated player in the Cowboys team. Under-rated for his attack and over-rated for his defence. Havent watched the Cows play for a long period of time recently so Im not sure if that assesment would still be true. Just a note on AP iv kept in my head. No point to that paragraph.

Im suprized how much the Cowboys rely on Payne. He is the 2nd play maker of the side, not the five eight. He could play halfback pretty easily.

elyod138

Bench
Im suprized how much the Cowboys rely on Payne. He is the 2nd play maker of the side, not the five eight. He could play halfback pretty easily.

Bowen has been more valuable to the team than the five eighth over the past few years too. I think that might change a bit once Ray Thompson gets some confidence in first grade.

Payne actually was a halfback originally, he only made the transition to hooker in firstgrade (I think he might have had a few runs at halfback early in his career too).

We looked lost when he was injured last year, I think JT struggles to play well without him (he plays with an adequate hooker at rep level though of course).

If you look at Thurston's best patches of form so far this year you will see that a lot of it is off the back of some great work by Payne out of dummy half.

Last edited:

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Bowen has been more valuable to the team than the actual five eighth over the past few years too. I think that might change a bit once Ray Thompson gets some confidence in first grade.

Payne actually was a halfback originally, he only made the transition to hooker in firstgrade (I think he might have had a few runs at halfback early in his career too).

We looked lost without him last year, I think JT struggles to play well without him (he plays with an adequate hooker at rep level though of course).

Oh certainly Bowen is the second go to man for the Cowboys. But hes been injured and out of form for the majority of the last 2 years. I think the Cowboys have adjusted a bit, plus its hard for a fullback to organise a full set of 6. Easier for the hooker being so close to communicate with all the players.

Every great playmaker needs another good play maker to fall back on. Joey had Buderus, Lockyer had Hunt and Berrigan, JT has Payne and Bowen.

I think JT once he signs his contract should take less control of the side. Sounds odd I know, but that young Ray Thompson does look pretty good. Joey did it/tried doing it with Mullen and if Joey didnt have to retire so early, it probably would have worked better then it did.

Shorty

Staff member
Payne's defence has improved but yes sometimes he still tends to have some howlers.
Pete - Most would say that but I'm not sure that's the case.
Without Thurston we're lost but that's only because of his amazing presence and dominance in things.

Payne however, is extremely influential.
You can see it when he's taken off and Watts is on, the dynamics change quickly...Payne has a very solid and effective gameplan.

Latest posts