What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thurston Vs Judiciary - Not Guilty

Jono1987

Juniors
It's not like the review panel had much choice right? He would have probably had a sook to his best mates Cam Smith or Hayne or some other blowhard who would have come out and bagged the NRL and somehow related this situation with the player payments rubbish.

Okay maybe not but protected species indeed.

kay

Juniors
the refereeing for that was hilarious. I watched Thurston giving him a spray for however long. then Manly in the ensuing set from the scrum were penalised, don't remember who got penalised, but they back chatted and penalty was advanced 10m.

innsaneink

Referee
It is about f**king time those f**king merkins got what they f**king deserved.This sends out a strong f**king message to every f**king merkin that plays the f**king game that the f**king merkin in the middle with the f**king whistle is a f**king idiot who needs to be f**king reminded of the f**king fact every f**king time a decision goes against you. What about all the kids who play the game - those f**king merkins will never learn how to play the f**king game unless the f**king best player in the f**king world leads by f**king example.

If their real roles models (their parents) are doing their job...they'll be fine.

If their refs show a ounce more gumption than Robinson did and act swiftly if they imitate JT...they'll be fine.

this incident has nothing to do with the way Robinson acted during the match, as him acting like a soft c**k is no excuse for JT's tanty.
Again perverse, I am not excusing JT...your comprehension DOES need work btw.
If a ref is in control, strong and firm this doesnt happen....only one person allowed this to continue for as long as it did...
I'm done talking to a brick.

beave

Coach
IMO he deserved a week,

BUT

the NRL shot itself in the foot by having the full footage on it's website of the incident up until 3:30pm yesterday arvo. How can you charge someone with detrimental conduct and and also throw out the attitude of 'won't you think of the kids???" when you are broadcasting the full incident on your website and profiting from it???

Massive double standard that I believe the lawyer played on and has obviously convinced the judiciary of the double standard.

It was also revealed last night something that is probably just as big as JT's spray, the NRL does not control the content on it's website, apparently Telstra does.

Hindyscrack

Bench
IMO he deserved a week,

BUT

the NRL shot itself in the foot by having the full footage on it's website of the incident up until 3:30pm yesterday arvo. How can you charge someone with detrimental conduct and and also throw out the attitude of 'won't you think of the kids???" when you are broadcasting the full incident on your website and profiting from it???

It was also revealed last night something that is probably just as big as JT's spray, the NRL does not control the content on it's website, apparently Telstra does.

You've answered your question within your own post. The NRL website is controlled by bigpond. And I have have experience dealing with them, getting content changed is one hell of a task.

Disgusting decision, how can the Match Review commitee find something, he is charged by the judiciary, yet not found guilty on the evidence presented? Insane.

One of the worst decisions I have seen at the judiciary in a long time. Absolute disgrace, I have never gone with the theory but now I am on the bandwagon. Protected....

Lego_Man

First Grade
I heard he got off because Phil Gould plugs Underbelly continuosly during the telecast, and that is screened at the same time of night as the game in question, and also has far worse language.

saint pebba

First Grade
Whilst I'm not condoning his actions there is no way he deserved a suspension for using a few f bombs.

He should have been penalised and then if he kept going sin binned.

Also if this is a problem the NRL want to eradicate then they should have charged him with offensive language. This should be a fine at best.

MKEB...

Staff member
I am sure the precedent was set with andrew johns abusing a touch judge and getting a suspension for it.

A couple weeks ago vs the warriors he had another rather over the top go at a ref about a scrum feed and got away with it....

A one off; I dont think so.

End point, he knows he is untouchable...has the NRL in his pocket.

For the record, the ref linesman call was correct VS Manly. Though it was funny when Manly got marched for a bit of back-chat after that.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
A couple weeks ago vs the warriors he had another rather over the top go at a ref about a scrum feed and got away with it....

he actually got them to change that decision. i thought that alone was disgraceful enough.

BigMarn

Juniors
How does he get off! Absolute disgrace!

What did Johns get that time when he blew up at the touchie?

Ike E Bear

Juniors
He should have been punished on the field. If he had been, then there wouldn't have been a judiciary charge in the first place.

There does seem to be a blindspot here, though. The way he behaved really isn't acceptable. I don't know how anyone could say otherwise. I don't go in for the athletes as role models thing (I'll be teaching my son that professional sportsmen are to be admired for their skill and not automatically admired or emulated for anything else ... if you want a role model look to Martin Luthor King or Fred Hallows), but his carry-on casts an unwanted shadow over the game. If a coach bags a referee after the game, he's fined. Same with cricket players. I reckon a penalty on the field (geeze Robinson has no sack ... I reckon he didn't make a report because that just makes his lack of action look even worse "It was unacceptable, but I was too gutless to do anything about it at the time.") and a fine would be appropriate for what Thurston did. Without a fine, though, there's really no deterrent for players to not go off at a ref in the dying seconds of a game.

There's no way the NRL can consistently enforce something like this with suspensions. It's just too murky and subjective, and arguably the punishment wouldn't really fit the crime.

MKEB...

Staff member

Two weeks for abusing Matt Cecchin

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I am sure the precedent was set with andrew johns abusing a touch judge and getting a suspension for it.

A one off; I dont think so.

End point, he knows he is untouchable...has the NRL in his pocket.

For the record, the ref linesman call was correct VS Manly. Though it was funny when Manly got marched for a bit of back-chat after that.

Two weeks for abusing Matt Cecchin
So what the judiciary are saying is that any player can blow up like a good sort when a decision (which was the correct one mind you) goes against them? Johns got two weeks for abusing a touchie ffs.

Johnathan Thurston = Protected Species.

Charlie124

First Grade
So what the judiciary are saying is that any player can blow up like a good sort when a decision (which was the correct one mind you) goes against them? Johns got two weeks for abusing a touchie ffs.

Johnathan Thurston = Protected Species.

Its been said over and over and over and over already in this thread but i guess ill repeat it one more time for the slow kids...

Joey got suspended for directing his swearing and abuse AT the touch judge, not just swearing in general while talking to him. Thurstons rant, while full of big bad 'f words' was not directed AT Robinson himself.
He asked who made the call, Robinson responded and Thurston swore (several more times) but the key difference between his rant and Joeys is that Joey swore and abused the touchie directly - calling him a f**king merkin if i remember correctly.

Apey

Staff member
Its been said over and over and over and over already in this thread but i guess ill repeat it one more time for the slow kids...

Joey got suspended for directing his swearing and abuse AT the touch judge, not just swearing in general while talking to him. Thurstons rant, while full of big bad 'f words' was not directed AT Robinson himself.
He asked who made the call, Robinson responded and Thurston swore (several more times) but the key difference between his rant and Joeys is that Joey swore and abused the touchie directly - calling him a f**king merkin if i remember correctly.

yeah honestly, I am on the side of he should have been punished, but comparing it to Johns is ridiculous. Joey called him a f**king merkin :lol:

God-King Dean

Immortal
hahaha I loved the Johns one.

" Ya f**king merkin! "

And as the touchie was walking off after fulltime.....

" Yeah, f**k off! "

If memory serves correctly..... Didn't Johns get 2 weeks, then got it downgraded to one?