What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tigers ripped off

Big Pete

Referee
Deadset. :lol:

The only reason you users can't remember a game where the Broncos were disadvantaged by a referee is because the Brisbane fans on here and in general DON'T blame the referee. We're generally critical of ourselves before we target the referee.

The last game the Broncos were disadvantaged by the referee's was up at Suncorp Stadium against the Manly Sea Eagles. There were a number of questionable calls that lead to a lot of discussion BUT Brisbane fans were humble enough to admit they were beaten off the back of a brilliant performance by Jamie Lyon.

I can understand the Tigers bitterness. Third consecutive close loss and they played some determined footy tonight but in the end, they had their chances but they weren't good enough to take them, simple really.

Last edited:

CanadianEagle

Juniors
I didn't even watch this match... The refs have too much of an influence on the outcome of the matches in NRL, enuff said!

CanadianEagle

Juniors
Not commenting on that particular game.. the refs do affect the outcome of matches, advantaging one and disadvantaging the other at times. That's all I'm saying, not saying the tigers were robbed or anything as I didn't watch.

kruzin

Juniors
Not commenting on that particular game.. the refs do affect the outcome of matches, advantaging one and disadvantaging the other at times. That's all I'm saying, not saying the tigers were robbed or anything as I didn't watch.

Post it in the problemsa with the game itself thread, thats what i made it for.

8Ball

First Grade
The only reason you users can't remember a game where the Broncos were disadvantaged by a referee is because the Brisbane fans on here and in general DON'T blame the referee. We're generally critical of ourselves before we target the referee.

..Now you've done it. :lol:

Tap Twist Snap

Juniors
The game is quickly becoming a farce with the referees often only refing one team and on top of that the "good" teams often getting the benifit of the doubt where the lower teams are pulled up. After the last 2 friday nights of footy It really does feel like a total waste of time watching the game at the moment.

Big Pete

Referee
Just caught the replay and decided to take notes on the referee and his influence on the game without further ado.

*Caught the match 10mins in on the replay so it starts there*

10mins - West Tigers offside from the kick off. No Penalty.
11mins - West Tigers awarded a cheap holding down Penalty.
14mins - Karmichael Hunt receives a leg pull. No worse than the penalty before. No Penalty.
17mins - West Tigers awarded a fair marker penalty. Parker was off-side by a mile.
18mins - West Tigers knock the ball on. Play on, Tagive eventually knocks on.
20mins - West Tigers awarded an Offside penalty. Home crowd penalty.
22mins - Broncos awarded a fair penalty for marker not being square.
23mins - Skandalis knocks on trying to take an intercept.
23mins - Broncos awarded a fair ruck infringement penalty. Gibbs was lying all over the play the ball.
24mins - West Tigers awarded a penalty for a high tackle by Dave Taylor. ...? What high tackle?
24mins - West Tigers score.
25mins - West Tigers knock on. ? Bad camera angle prevents proper judgement.
30mins - West Tigers score. Questionable marker defence by Tigers, was Skandalis square? Was the final pass fair? No angle confirms Tuiaki gets the ball down.
33mins - Karmichael Hunt is hit high. No penalty.
34mins - After the Broncos trap West Tigers in their own corner ref blows offside. No footage to provide judgement.
35mins - West Tigers awarded a penalty for a strip. 50/50
36mins - West Tigers score.
38mins - West Tigers unlucky not to get a penalty for holding down on Tuiaki.
39mins - West Tigers try denied. Skandalis knocks on while attempting to strip the ball.
39mins - Brisbane player held down for an eternity by Morris. No Penalty.

Second Half
41 - Big Israel Folau is hit high. No penalty.
42 - Broncos awarded a fair penalty. Marker not square.
44 - Broncos awarded a 50/50 penalty for holding down.
45 - Broncos try.
52 - Thaiday knocks on playing the ball.
53 - Moltzen plays the ball similarly to Thaiday. Play on.
54 - Skandalis hit high. No penalty.
55 - Folau hit high. Penalty Broncos.
57 - Thaiday knocks on.
58 - West Tigers score. Big question mark on the last pass from Daine Laurie. Looked like he promoted it forward.
61 - Broncos awarded a penalty for a high tackle on Winterstein. 50/50 looked bad on first view but on second it appeared as if it bounced up.
63 - Broncos try. West Tigers warned by the referee following the try.
64 - Broncos awarded a fair penalty for a strip by Benji Marshall. Marshall is sin binned.
65 - Joel Clinton is held down. No penalty.
66 - West Tigers penalty. Brisbane broke early from the scrum. ??? (I didn't get a clear view BotD for Fair call).
72 - West Tigers should've been given 6 again as it appeared a Broncos player played the ball. Play on.
75 - West Tigers awarded a fair penalty for offside off the kick.
75 - West Tigers forward pass from dummy half. Play On.
76 - Folau knocks on attempting to take an intercept.
76 - Morris knocks on.
77 - Daine Laurie could've been pinged for a number of offences on Te'o. No penalty.
78 - Corey Parker stands at second marker despite the lack of a first marker and makes the tackle. No penalty.
79 - Possible crusher tackle by Laurie. No penalty.
80 - West Tigers go wide but look to have knocked on. Ruled Tigers feed and they're then awarded a penalty...no idea why...no idea at all. West Tigers go wide but Hanbury's kick goes dead. Game over.

Sounds pretty even refereeing IMO.

TimmyB

Juniors
I find it a bit odd that people are saying the only bad call was the Marshall sin binning. Even if that was the only bad call, it's a potential match turner. Broncos get ahead by 2 points and within 3 minutes there's a tigers' player put in the bin. Not to mention it was our lynch pin. Even if it was the only bad call, it potentially had a massive impact on the game.

I also think it's a bit rough calling Tigers' whingers. We pimp Farah, but I don't recall to much whinging refereeing wise. We lost to the rabbitohs by a point and the dogs by 2. I don't recall any blame being placed on the refs there.

In the end we lost, the refs didn't beat us. Even so Maxwell's ruling really stings. I expected most fans could empathise with our annoyance - all of us have experienced it at one time or another. It's just unfortunate for us it culminated in the third loss by 2 points or less in a row.

Big Pete

Referee
Marshalls sin binning was justified. Maxwell warned Marshall following Lockyers try that anymoe penalties by his side would result in a sin bin. In the very next set Marshall deliberately strips the ball and faces the consequences. Kudos to Maxwell for delivering on his promises.

With the benefit of hindsight we certainly had enough chances to win the game, particularly during the last 10 minutes, however weren't good enough.

The ref didn't decide the outcome, although with such a depleted side, we were reliant upon a few key decisions going our way although it didn't transpire as such. On the other week, last week we had a charmed run with the refs + earlier in the season were the beneficiary of some lucky calls against Canberra + Newcastle. It all evens out.

BTW Big Pete I admire the thoroughness of your analysis but its as subjective as anything we're saying. Its impossible to assess the refs' performances with any impartiality.

miccle

Bench
We don't need to go OTT on the decisions, Pete. Just the one - Laurie's pass for that last try went forward by a fair, fair margin. He passed it just over the 10m line, and the receiver caught it no more than five metres out.

Teams were pretty even last night, both teams got bad calls, and the Broncos held on to jag a good win.

Seriously, "ripped off"? Watch Laurie's pass once more on replay and tell me that you weren't lucky to have that try awarded. I dare ya.

The Broncos first try had a 5m forward pass....

The Skandalis strip, Moltzen try was also an actual try. Benefit of the doubt anyone?

Still, we got hard done by, but should've won anyway.

Latest posts